Thread: Dynamic Road Sign Display

Dynamic Road Sign Display

Does anyone know if it possible to activate this feature in a Golf 8 Life? It is mentioned in the manual on page 29 but doesn’t seem to be working or available in my car? Any advice gratefully received!

I don’t know for certain but from what I’ve read since 2020 VW’s have not been able to be coded by anybody but the dealer and of course they will only do what head office allows. It may be that somebody has or will break through whatever protection is in place but that’s my understanding. So, even if it’s theoretically possible I don’t think it can be done. Prior to 2020 there were many options for coding any VW to allow/change things such as this. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge can advise further !! Of course if it’s supposed to be working (just because it’s in the manual doesn’t mean all models will have it) then the dealer should be willing to sort it for you. What do the on line specs show for your model ?
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTiguan View Post
    I don’t know for certain but from what I’ve read since 2020 VW’s have not been able to be coded by anybody but the dealer and of course they will only do what head office allows. It may be that somebody has or will break through whatever protection is in place but that’s my understanding. So, even if it’s theoretically possible I don’t think it can be done. Prior to 2020 there were many options for coding any VW to allow/change things such as this. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge can advise further !! Of course if it’s supposed to be working (just because it’s in the manual doesn’t mean all models will have it) then the dealer should be willing to sort it for you. What do the on line specs show for your model ?
    Not entirely correct. Certain things are still able to be done now that SFD can be opened up. Not sure about MK8 but things still can be done to Tiguans & Mk 7's

TO THE OP The manual is a generic one for the model and some things may not be in your version EG turning off passenger airbag, which is illegal to do in AU.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I poked around in the menus of my R-Line, and found I was able to turn on the speed limits in the Golf's GPS on the main screen. It's not really dynamic, as it relies on the map data from VW. Therefore the speed limits would not necessarily be up to date, until you get the Map data updated (which you can do, I did once, but I can't remember where I found the instructions, but it was probably either in this forum or the vwaudiforum dott co dott uk - mk8 forum).
    The speed limit won't show up on the head-up display on the windscreen.
    Golf VIII R-Line MY21.5 fully loaded – sunroof, sound & vision package (head-up display + Harman/Kardon stereo), Pomelo Yellow premium metallic (a.k.a. Lime Yellow in most markets) – ordered 18/3/21, delivered 17/8/21.
    Previous VW group cars: Golf VII Comfortline DSG MY15.5 pacific blue; Golf IV Sport MY04 reflex silver with sunroof; Golf III CL bahama blue; Audi A4 MY95 tornado red; Porsche 928S3 MY85 guards red with sunroof.

Doesn't look like the MK 8 can be coded with the likes of OBD Eleven for TSR, have a read through this link - Trafic Sign Recognition (TSR) | OBDeleven
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Many thanks for the above replies. It is certainly frustrating that the car is capable of having this feature (which is available in many new models for other brands) and yet for reasons unclear to me the company has deactivated it in Australia?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmatsv View Post
    Many thanks for the above replies. It is certainly frustrating that the car is capable of having this feature (which is available in many new models for other brands) and yet for reasons unclear to me the company has deactivated it in Australia?
    The main reason is that the maps have rather different data to European maps and therefore dont work properly in AUS. My MIB2 does weird things like has speed areas that havent been there for years etc.

Generally it works ok but have to be careful at times.

Has been further explanation about this in other threads but above is the simplest way of describing it.

FWIW it’s certainly been the same in NZ but I don’t know about the Golf yet as we’ve still got 6 weeks to wait for it. My R-Line 2017 Tiguan is capable of sign recognition but they won’t code it in. Their bizarre excuse was the sun is too bright in NZ !! My headlights were capable of auto dipping too but they wouldn’t do it and refused to even believe it could be done even when I showed proof one had been coded in Auckland !!! Beyond me.
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NZTiguan View Post
    FWIW it’s certainly been the same in NZ but I don’t know about the Golf yet as we’ve still got 6 weeks to wait for it. My R-Line 2017 Tiguan is capable of sign recognition but they won’t code it in. Their bizarre excuse was the sun is too bright in NZ !! My headlights were capable of auto dipping too but they wouldn’t do it and refused to even believe it could be done even when I showed proof one had been coded in Auckland !!! Beyond me.
    Mine is a 2019 and is only as good as I posted and NZ will be the same I assure you. Have coded 38 things into mine despite what VW say. Buy an OBD ELEVEN and just do it yourself as VW wont do anything nonstandard. Even after I showed them what mine does they said they cant (wont ) do it