Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DSG finally gone in the MK8

No stalling in the dry clutch Polo DSG and the wet in the GTI, in fact nothing to worry about except driving them. These are 2019 and 2020 cars so I wasn't there in the early days, driving my XR8 manual back when DSG came out.

I've also disabled stop/start on both cars.

Your Mk6 GTI would have been a 6spd.

Lots of reviews of late model VW performance cars praising the DSG performance.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Interestingly, some reviews have said that just because it is a TC Auto doesn't mean it is actually better than a DSG. Even more so when you actually research who makes the auto. Aisin makes the MK8 gearbox. Having driven an X1 with Aisin all I can say is meh. I found it slower to respond than a DSG and not smooth at lower speeds. If it was a ZF - it'd be a winner.

So for those comparing the TC to DSG because they've driven a ZF, you need to try a car with the Aisin...

Good to see this thread drop into lengthy posts as to why others are wrong.

Just going to leave this here...

DSG finally gone in the MK8-duty_calls-png
    MY16 Octavia Scout 132TSI Premium - denim blue metallic, Tech pack, electric seats, panoramic roof, auto boot, roof racks, mud flaps and rubber mats

Users Country Flag
    ^ my Lexus IS-F had a Aisin 8 speed auto and it was fantastic. And this is a 12 year old car now. Unbelieveably smooth, fast gear changes with a lock up torque converter, and they are known for being incredibly reliable. So Aisin certainly can make a good gearbox, but I guess it depends on what VW asked them to develop the transmission, the software and the budget/timeframe they were given. No doubt it will be tuned for smoothness and economy as 99.9% of buyers want this.

It certainly cant be any worse than the woeful DQ200 DSG its replacing, and 99.9% of buyers wont notice or care, seeing as far as they are concerned, both are "auto's".
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by aware View Post
    Interestingly, some reviews have said that just because it is a TC Auto doesn't mean it is actually better than a DSG. Even more so when you actually research who makes the auto. Aisin makes the MK8 gearbox. Having driven an X1 with Aisin all I can say is meh. I found it slower to respond than a DSG and not smooth at lower speeds. If it was a ZF - it'd be a winner.

So for those comparing the TC to DSG because they've driven a ZF, you need to try a car with the Aisin...

Good to see this thread drop into lengthy posts as to why others are wrong.

Just going to leave this here...

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    ^ my Lexus IS-F had a Aisin 8 speed auto and it was fantastic. And this is a 12 year old car now. Unbelieveably smooth, fast gear changes with a lock up torque converter, and they are known for being incredibly reliable. So Aisin certainly can make a good gearbox, but I guess it depends on what VW asked them to develop the transmission, the software and the budget/timeframe they were given. No doubt it will be tuned for smoothness and economy as 99.9% of buyers want this.

It certainly cant be any worse than the woeful DQ200 DSG its replacing, and 99.9% of buyers wont notice or care, seeing as far as they are concerned, both are "auto's".
    Again that will be a different gearbox given it's a sports V8, not a 4 cyl like a Golf or X1. When you research why these engines have the new 8AT, it has nothing to do with reliability.

These sweeping statements are hilarious - same sweeping statements from "car experts" when I bought my Octavia after a lemon Subaru. Subaru had 6 warranty claims (including paint bubbling amongst numerous electircal gremlins) in 18 months and 6,000kms. Conversely, 84,500km and 5 years later my Octavia has had 1 minor warranty claim (door lock)...

My point is that individual experiences with products are different for each person. You never read how happy someone is with a product on the internet, but you can always find a horror story (or 50).

Good luck to VW and Skoda with the 8AT. But my money will always go to a DSG or a ZF.
    MY16 Octavia Scout 132TSI Premium - denim blue metallic, Tech pack, electric seats, panoramic roof, auto boot, roof racks, mud flaps and rubber mats

Users Country Flag
    Again that will be a different gearbox given it's a sports V8, not a 4 cyl like a Golf or X1. When you research why these engines have the new 8AT, it has nothing to do with reliability.

These sweeping statements are hilarious - same sweeping statements from "car experts" when I bought my Octavia after a lemon Subaru. Subaru had 6 warranty claims (including paint bubbling amongst numerous electircal gremlins) in 18 months and 6,000kms. Conversely, 84,500km and 5 years later my Octavia has had 1 minor warranty claim (door lock)...

My point is that individual experiences with products are different for each person. You never read how happy someone is with a product on the internet, but you can always find a horror story (or 50).

Good luck to VW and Skoda with the 8AT. But my money will always go to a DSG or a ZF.
    The transmission was taken from the Lexus flagship luxury sedan (the LS460) and modified to suit the sporty nature of the IS-F.

Too be honest I dont know why the 8 speed auto is such a hot topic, seeing the average buyer of the lower spec model Mk8 wont know or care, and most people on this forum will be buying the Mk8 in either GTI or R form which or course has the DSG.

FYI I have the ZF8 speed in my SQ5 and honestly its no better than the gearbox in my (now sold) IS-F.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The transmission was taken from the Lexus flagship luxury sedan (the LS460) and modified to suit the sporty nature of the IS-F.

Too be honest I dont know why the 8 speed auto is such a hot topic, seeing the average buyer of the lower spec model Mk8 wont know or care, and most people on this forum will be buying the Mk8 in either GTI or R form which or course has the DSG.

FYI I have the ZF8 speed in my SQ5 and honestly its no better than the gearbox in my (now sold) IS-F.
    Ok but that's still a different gearbox to that used in the Golf and other 4 cylinder transverse mounted engine vehicles - I'm not an engineer but one would assume there are some different characteristics.

Not everyone wants a GTI or R. I would love a GTI, but given I drive to a train station most days, or into a carpark in the city, it's a bit more performance than I ultimately need. Thus, the 'standard' Golfs are more relevant to me. Having watched the Chasing Cars review as well of the new Golf, where all I seem to hear was the constant changing of gears it puts me off the model. Sure, I'll test drive in due course, but from my perspective it's a backwards step.

That's great too. I have the ZF and find it better than the Aisin.

You're 100% correct, everybody's experience is different, some will always prefer a DSG over conventional auto and others vice versa, guess there is no right or wrong there, merely a matter of preference.

Automatic transmissions either direct shift or conventional will always require maintenance and/or repair. As someone who spent some years working for a major importer/reseller of auto transmission parts, the line that conventional autos don't fail is absolute rubbish, some do so with monotonous regularity. I find it interesting that Aisin automatics are being touted as the ant's pants, I can recall many horror stories about automatics in earlier generations of VWs, no points for guessing they were manufactured by Aisin.

I've been driving DSG equipped cars since 2006, never a problem and I much prefer driving a DSG to a conventional auto but as I said, it's a matter of personal preference.
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Ok but that's still a different gearbox to that used in the Golf and other 4 cylinder transverse mounted engine vehicles - I'm not an engineer but one would assume there are some different characteristics.

Not everyone wants a GTI or R. I would love a GTI, but given I drive to a train station most days, or into a carpark in the city, it's a bit more performance than I ultimately need. Thus, the 'standard' Golfs are more relevant to me. Having watched the Chasing Cars review as well of the new Golf, where all I seem to hear was the constant changing of gears it puts me off the model. Sure, I'll test drive in due course, but from my perspective it's a backwards step.

That's great too. I have the ZF and find it better than the Aisin.
    Yes of course its a different transmission - but its the same manufacturer is what im trying to say. But what I will say is that with the 8 speeds in my IS-F and also the 8 speeds in my SQ5, its far too many gears for driving around town - even with the mountain of torque the SQ5 has. I drive the car in manual mode almost exclusively so that I can control what gear the car is in, and around town at 60-70kph I will be in 4th or 5th at the most. You only need to use 7th and 8th gear at motorway speeds.

But if left in normal D mode, the car will be in 7th gear at 60kph and doing about 1,200rpm. Not only is the car unresponsive at these RPM, but any need to accelerate results in a lengthy delay and then the gearbox shifts down about 4 gears and you go off like a rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    You're 100% correct, everybody's experience is different, some will always prefer a DSG over conventional auto and others vice versa, guess there is no right or wrong there, merely a matter of preference.

Automatic transmissions either direct shift or conventional will always require maintenance and/or repair. As someone who spent some years working for a major importer/reseller of auto transmission parts, the line that conventional autos don't fail is absolute rubbish, some do so with monotonous regularity. I find it interesting that Aisin automatics are being touted as the ant's pants, I can recall many horror stories about automatics in earlier generations of VWs, no points for guessing they were manufactured by Aisin.

I've been driving DSG equipped cars since 2006, never a problem and I much prefer driving a DSG to a conventional auto but as I said, it's a matter of personal preference.
    Yes the transmissions in the Mk4 and Mk5 Golfs don't exactly have a great reputation for reliability, but in their defence, they are 15 or so years old now, probably never had a service - and from most of the stories i've read on here, only a solenoid is needed so not an expensive or lengthy repair.

Now lets not talk about transmissions in Holden Cruze's and Craptiva's.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

My concern with the TC auto in MK8's is not for me but for the replacement for my wife's Mk7. She has had DSG equipped cars for 20 years and I'm not sure that she will accept the backwards steps in performance and fuel economy. Trust me, she will definitely notice both of those. Coupled with the lack of leather and heated seats, I really don't see a MK8 on her side of the garage.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast