Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coding of Mk8

Coding of Mk8

Is it going to be possible to do software changes in the new Mk8/Tiguan and ongoing models? If OBD/Ross Tech buy a license will that allow coding changes as we know it or will there still be restrictions? I have seen a fair bit of discussion lately but no one seems to know and I thought that the guys really into this might have some info by now. For those not in the know VW have adopted a lock out system that requires a license to access the ECU and they want money for the right to own a license. There was one post on this a few months ago here but nothing since as far as I can find. At this point in the game there might be little information but I thought I would ask the question.

Post 2020 models - will OBD11 devices work? | OBDeleven

Users Country Flag
    http://www.vag-com-espanol.com/EN_SF...al_for_UMB.pdf

Short answer: no.
    You can do a diagnostics scan but you can't change coding/adaptations without an authorization token from VW.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks Kamold.

I suspected this might be the case as well. Does put me off buying a Mk8 as I have certainly enjoyed having the car tweaked closer to perfection with OBD11.
    Even if you could down the track, I wonder if it will get flagged almost immediately as the Mk8s are now continuously connected to VW and therefore could void the warranty. Almost like a virgual TD1 flag I guess.
    Only time will tell but I was hoping the international market's head start would have made some progress with this already.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

The big question is what VWA are going to do about connecting to these cars as they have no network in Oz whereas in Europe it already exists. For instance the Mk2 Tiguan has an emergeny call button and a full time monitoring sytem from what I can gather. I am sure you are right, any attempt to play with the car and it will report home.
    Last edited by Ozsko; 24-07-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Coding of Mk8

Not until someone cracks the security. Then it’ll be same as “normal” I should think. There’s already security codes on a number of modules so really no difference.

Reality is Mk8 is just a facelift Mk7 (built on the same MQB platform) so underneath it’s the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 25-07-2020 at 07:09 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    ^^^^ Tigger: I like your optimism about someone cracking the security , but I suspect that it's a tad exaggerated (at the very least)!.

SFD (Schutz FahrzeugDiagnose= Vehicle Diagnostic Protection) is not like the historic 5 x digit security codes that locked control modules of old.

Whilst I don't pretend to know much about the new so-called "Vehicle Diagnostic Protection" system (the name begs the question - who is it protecting?), it seems to be heavily laced with handshaking tokens passing between the user and the IT back-end of the SFD mother ship. In this sense, SFD seems to look a lot more like elements of FAZIT (of Component Protection fame), but with much tighter authentication (IMO, of course).

I never underestimate the ingenuity of the many smart folk that call themselves "Hackers" - but I very much doubt that VAG has left any SFD back-doors open for these folk to find. But I'm more than happy to be proven wrong

Anyhow, just to illustrate the task facing hackers, here's an official description of the basic steps to get access to a module that is locked by SFD:

1. It is a prerequisite that the user is registered in the SFD IT back end and in the Dealer Portal (in future, the Group Retail Portal)
    2. The user would like to carry out SFD-protected services on one or more SFD protected control units as part of a vehicle diagnosis.
    3. The control unit reports that it is SFD-protected and asks for an activation token.
    4. The vehicle diagnostic tester sends an activation request with the ID mark of the control unit and the desired scope to the SFD IT back end.
    5. The SFD IT back end checks and authorizes the request and sends a signed activation token to the tester. The SFD IT back end logs the access (user ID, CU ID mark, time etc.).
    6. The vehicle diagnostic tester sends the activation token to the control unit. The control unit checks the activation token and grants access to the relevant diagnostic object.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 25-07-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    A Mk8 driver just needs to piss off the Chinese or Russians..

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Man made, man can break into it. Till today, it's always valid.

Users Country Flag

^^^hmm..... more optimism!! I hope you guys are correct - but SFD is a paradigm shift in security. Mk8 may look like "just a facelift Mk7 (built on the same MQB platform)" - but the DNA of MQB37W platform cars appears to be quite different. Of course, no one outside VW can vouch for what is different because only registered dealers have access to the modules!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 25-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast