Thread: VW Polo GTI 2018 Whirring/Humming Noise

Users Country Flag

VW Polo GTI 2018 Whirring/Humming Noise

Hey guys,

Hopefully somebody can help me.

My car has been making a loud humming noise, the noise occurs when braking and it especially happens when in reverse.

I've had my car for 2 years and I bought the car brand new Polo GTI MY19, I've taken it to VW and they said they don't have a fix for it and it is a nationwide fault and they currently do not have a fix or a timeline for it.

I've tried checking for other car forums in Australia for similar issues.

Just wondering what you guys thought and whether you have any ideas?

Last edited by deadmanwalkingno2; 01-12-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like brake "groan" usually a brake pad change fixes it. Mine does it from the front if I haven't driven it for while (more than week), it's been raining and there is surface rust on the rotors, only does it backing out of the driveway, then it stops and doesn't reappear until the next time I haven't driven it for while.

If your local dealer is saying there is no fix then that may mean the OE brake pads are the cause, aftermarket brake pads may cure it.

You could also try calling VW Australia Customer Support, just in case the dealer is spinning you a line.

Cheers
    Gary
    Last edited by Sydneykid; 03-12-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

I get this too, when I'm backing out slowly from a parking spot. It's done it to me since probably the first month or so, regardless of weather. I took it to the dealer for it's 1 year service and they tried to fix it, which worked for a couple of days (I don't know what they did). They said "come back if it's still happening", but although it's annoying I'm just kind of used to it now, so I haven't bothered. They did say they would talk to VW about it. As the previous poster said, it can probably be fixed with new brake pads.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyeels View Post
    I get this too, when I'm backing out slowly from a parking spot. It's done it to me since probably the first month or so, regardless of weather. I took it to the dealer for it's 1 year service and they tried to fix it, which worked for a couple of days (I don't know what they did). They said "come back if it's still happening", but although it's annoying I'm just kind of used to it now, so I haven't bothered. They did say they would talk to VW about it. As the previous poster said, it can probably be fixed with new brake pads.
    It's to do with the brake pad material Volkswagen group use. Normally the rear brake pads if it's more audible reversing. As long as you have warranty, average mileage for age and plenty of meat left on the pads warranty should replace. Any dealership that doesn't replace them is avoiding problems/future complaints with customers as I have seen repeat repairs of this issue.

Note not all dealerships will be clued up on this as it may not be as commonly seen for them.

Go in with a kind attitude and they should help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson470 View Post
    It's to do with the brake pad material Volkswagen group use. Normally the rear brake pads if it's more audible reversing. As long as you have warranty, average mileage for age and plenty of meat left on the pads warranty should replace. Any dealership that doesn't replace them is avoiding problems/future complaints with customers as I have seen repeat repairs of this issue.

Note not all dealerships will be clued up on this as it may not be as commonly seen for them.

Go in with a kind attitude and they should help!
    Thanks for this, I might give it a go soon.

An update, finally took the car into the dealership and they identified it as a warranty issue. The dampers on the rear brakes needed to be replaced. Parts ordered, took about a week to arrive, fitted today and no more squealing sound when reversing. As a bonus, the brake feel is better, more modulation on low speed stops and less jerkiness (which could just be that they cleaned the rotors).