Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI 2.0l tuning

Users Country Flag

Polo GTI 2.0l tuning

Hi all,
    I'm keen to get started on tuning the new car but am having trouble getting any useful info about the ecu that's been used.
    I've included a photo of the sticker and hope this thread will be a good place to start a discussion about the best method to access the ecu bin files and start the process of tuning this little beast!
    Having recently come from tuned saab, I'm finding the lack of information and open source tuning tools a bit of a shock!
    Any progress I'll post in this thread for anyone else who's as keen as I am to tune their own polo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s no open source tuning for VAG cars.

Options are either a piggy back unit or a flash tune. Some tuners will sell a handheld unit so you can load files yourself.

About the closest you’ll come to open source is Burger Motorsports JB4 piggy back with map 6 which is user adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    It is my understanding (I could be wrong though) that the engine in the Polo GTI is the same (just slightly higher state of tune) as that of the other Gen3 EA888 2.0T 132TSI engines (ie Tiguan 132TSI). These have had no real interest from the tuners so far to "enhance" so the fact that the Polo GTI runs it will make a big difference I think. Perhaps soon a host of tunes for these cars will be out with some decent gains.

Unfortunately what it also means is that the Polo GTI will not (easily) tune to the same level as the Golf GTI tuned .... Pity it is not simply a detuned Golf GTI engine

Makes it quite a bit less appealing to me now ....
    Last edited by Sharkie; 07-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Unfortunately what it also means is that the Polo GTI will not (easily) tune to the same level as the Golf GTI tuned .... Pity it is not simply a detuned Golf GTI engine

Makes it quite a bit less appealing to me now ....
    I know exactly what you mean, it's a bit of a pity!

On the plus side it seems that there are some existing tunes out for the equivalent Audi models using the same engine and ECU combo...
    From my understanding though (correct me if I'm wrong) this is the Gen.3B engine that runs on the Miller type cycle. Running higher compression and thus somewhat less potential for easy out of the box tunes...
    I am waiting to get my CAN-bus reader back that I loaned out and then I'll try and read out the bin file and see how I go.. I'll keep this thread updated with any meaningful progress or information which comes to hand.

Users Country Flag
    My understanding is the B Cycle engines are for the Tiguan only.

The VW design (Brubach) is actually reverse Miller Cycle, the measured (physical) compression ratio is not the actual (when the engine is running) compression ratio as the inlet valves are closed early. This creates a partial vacuum at the end of the inlet cycle which results in a reduced compression ratio in the combustion cycle.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    To the best of my knowledge the ecu hasnt been cracked yet as its different to other engines of the.current generation.

Once it is cracked, itll be game on.

Dont hold your breath though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    My understanding is the B Cycle engines are for the Tiguan only.

The VW design (Brubach) is actually reverse Miller Cycle, the measured (physical) compression ratio is not the actual (when the engine is running) compression ratio as the inlet valves are closed early. This creates a partial vacuum at the end of the inlet cycle which results in a reduced compression ratio in the combustion cycle.

Cheers
    Gary

Users Country Flag
    On the tuning front, it will be interesting to see how Burger go about adapting the JB4 to the Mk6.

On the DSG, my MK5 definitely learns driving preferences. If I get in after my wife has been driving it for a day or so it takes to while to relearn to suite my style.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    maybe like seat memory settings, VW could look at individual driving preferences settings. just a crazy thought
    MY19 Polo GTi 2.0 DSG

Previous VW cars:MY16 Polo GTI manual, 2007 Jetta 2.0 TDi manual, 2001 VW Bora V6 4-Motion - flooded away

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    maybe like seat memory settings, VW could look at individual driving preferences settings. just a crazy thought
    Have this in our Octavia RS. It's very handy!

It's a shame to read this thread and find nothing has been made available yet

I'm looking at swapping up to a GTI but assumed it was a Golf GTI engine in a lower state of tune so tunes would be easy. A shame it's not the case. Makes a 2nd hand RS 169 look a bit more appealing. Having two of the same car in the garage would be weird though, right?
    Last edited by DuaneDibbley; 30-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Users Country Flag

Not that I am now going to buy a new GTI, but in looking at bits for my new R I came across this CAI for the new Polo GTI ... 2018 VW Golf Mk6 POLO GTI 2.0T Cold Air Intake Syst

I bought a MST CAI for our Golf TSI and its pretty good, so this would be worth a look. Claimed 6kw/15NM in it
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast