Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI 2.0l tuning

Users Country Flag

Good Day Gents

Are there any updates on the Polo GTI owners? I am looking at replacing my ST200 with a Polo GTI but not sure about the tune-ability of the motor as yet, so far it seems that the polo has a smaller turbo compared to the Golf and also higher compression, has anyone done software on the Polo as yet? or even a stock dyno run to see what the torque and KW graphs look like?

Also, does the R600 intake not fit on the polo? after all it is the same MQB platform and the same EA888 motor just a GEN3 and not a GEN2.

looking forward to your response.

Users Country Flag
    Sent an email to George over the weekend and Burger now have a JB4 available for the Polo Mk6 GTi. On the default Map 1 with 3 psi boost more than standard it adds 30 whp and 45 ft lbs on Pump 95.

Group 8: JB4 Gen3B Beta – Burger Motorsports, Inc.

There is bit more to be gained on Pump 98, but as other have found with this model the small intercooler is an issue. As a result an intercooler upgrade is a must for much more power.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I also heard the cooler is small, wonder how it compares to the 1.8gti cooler, I suppose the best option would be to get the IS20 or IS38 turbo and bolt it on, it should supply more air at lower spool and cause less heat than a maxed out IS18... if you are willing to change the turbo. Cooler upgrade sounds like a good idea either way.

Users Country Flag
    I see now on the JB4 site it states that the PGTI does have a IS20, I thought it used an IS18. very interesting

Users Country Flag
    It depends on how much power you want to make, how much higher rpm you can live with (before it makes power) and how much "lag" you will tolerate. Personally I like the instant throttle response of the standard turbo, so adding 50 bhp and 80 ft lbs of torque (on Pump 98 ) without sacrificing anything else is attractive. A slightly larger intercooler doesn't add much noticeable "lag" but even a slightly larger turbo sure does, for my tastes anyway.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I absolutely agree, there is always that sacrifice. What I dont yet understand is why the power is so much down compared to the Golf GTI? Not so much the KW but the Torque. If it's the same motor with the same turbo why is the torque down so much? I understand that the heatsoak seems to be an issue but the Golf the same turbo makes Way more torque when tuned. What does the PGTI boost stock?
    But I must say even though the power is not there that the Golf makes, I am still impressed and happy with the results that the JB4 produces at this stage.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldip View Post
    Yeah I absolutely agree, there is always that sacrifice. What I dont yet understand is why the power is so much down compared to the Golf GTI?
    VW have limited the power and torque on purpose with the ECU software to separate the Polo GTI from the Golf GTI to help justify the additional cost of the Golf.

Just like a few years ago with the Tiguan 2.0TSI, the 125TSI, 132TSI and 155TSI all had the same engine and turbo, but power and torque was reduced in the cheaper models to help differentiate them along with equipment levels etc. But with aftermarket tuning, the 125TSI could have the same power as the 155TSI.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I hope this is the case with the Polo also, the Golf makes good kw and insane torque with software

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    It is my understanding (I could be wrong though) that the engine in the Polo GTI is the same (just slightly higher state of tune) as that of the other Gen3 EA888 2.0T 132TSI engines (ie Tiguan 132TSI). These have had no real interest from the tuners so far to "enhance" so the fact that the Polo GTI runs it will make a big difference I think. Perhaps soon a host of tunes for these cars will be out with some decent gains.

Unfortunately what it also means is that the Polo GTI will not (easily) tune to the same level as the Golf GTI tuned .... Pity it is not simply a detuned Golf GTI engine

Makes it quite a bit less appealing to me now ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    My understanding is the B Cycle engines are for the Tiguan only.

The VW design (Brubach) is actually reverse Miller Cycle, the measured (physical) compression ratio is not the actual (when the engine is running) compression ratio as the inlet valves are closed early. This creates a partial vacuum at the end of the inlet cycle which results in a reduced compression ratio in the combustion cycle.

Cheers
    Gary
    Unfortunately the Polo GTI does not have a detuned version of the Golf GTI engine. It is in fact an uptuned version of the current Tiguan 132TSI.

I wouldn't say it wont tune as well as the Golf, but everything points to NO at this point I'm afraid.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

Yeah it seems like its the same motor as the Tiguan, from what I gather the only difference between the Polo motor and the Golf motor is that the Polo uses the new Budack cycle and I think the Golf uses the Adkinson cycle. The Budack cycle closes the intake valves before the piston reaches the bottom of the cycle on light driving that effectively reduces the capacity of the motor but on full throttle the cams shift and the intake vales stay open longer for performance, where the Adkinson cycle on the Golf leaves the inlet valves open longer and only closing the inlet valves when the piston is already on the way up. That is my understanding at least.

If that means you can extract more power from the Golf because of this I do not know.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast