Thread: gpf/ppf

Users Country Flag

gpf/ppf

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 2020 Polo GTI (manufacture date 21 Feb 2020) and was wondering if the Australian models are fitted with a GPF/PPF?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Not that i am aware of - not required for Aust emissions laws unless something has changed very recently.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks, I didn't think so but was worried as Audi did put a ppf/gpf on the 2020 onward RS3's and basically ruined them....
    I test drove the gti and took a photo from underneath, I'm pretty sure this is a secondary cat as there are no wires plugged into it and it is located just after the down pipe and before the resonator. I've googled overseas polo gti exhausts and this looks like where the ppf/gpf would be except there is a wire coming out, maybe for the Australian market they just put a secondary cat in?
    gpf/ppf-img_6520-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Yep that's a secondary cat - not a petrol particulate filter. The first cat is right up near the turbo, and then this second one down under the body of the car.

You mention the RS3's being fitted with PPF - im pretty sure this was just in Europe/UK. I dont believe Aust models have them although I might be wrong here. Either way, they are easily removed and with tuning no lights on your dash.

Another example is the GR Yaris. In Aust they do not have a PPF, but in Europe/UK they do. There are stricter emissions laws in Europe hence the PPF.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

It's bit of catch 22, we don't have as strict emission's standards, for cars we are on Euro 5 whereas Europe has moved to Euro 6 which requires a particulate filter. They could fit particulate filters to our cars but they would get contaminated by sulphur in the fuel as we allow up to 150 parts per million (ppm) of sulphur for 91/94 octane unleaded and up to 50 ppm for 95/98 unleaded. If we raised our fuel standards to 10 ppm sulphur then particulate filters would be OK, even if we didn't adopt the full Euro 6 emissions standards.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST