Thread: Considering New Polo to replace Golf 5

Users Country Flag

Considering New Polo to replace Golf 5

Hello,

The current Polo looks as large as an old Golf 5/6 and is obviously more fuel efficient, safer and will last long enough for The Australian and New South Wales Governments to get into the current century and make EVs the sensible choice for Australian roads (I'm mainly talking about wide spread charging networks, a new tax regime).

I can Google dimensions but does anyone have real world positive (or negative) stories about moving from an old Golf to a new Polo?

Also, why the hell does VW offer more colours for the Polo than the Golf?
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

I've had one of the new 85TSI Polo Lifes for about a month and really enjoying it. I previously had a 2007 1.8 TDi 9N3 Polo and it's a big step up in every sense. I'd say it's about on par with a 2012 Golf in terms of size, quality and features. Smooth, quiet, comfortable and fuel efficient.

Sure, an 85kw turbo 1.0 isn't going to set your heart racing, but with the DSG in sport mode, it reacts and pulls hard enough when needed, plus you can always blip the paddle shifters and change manually if you really need to. Interior fit and finish is excellent with plenty of nice features and space for everyone. The boot's much larger than I expected too.

Yeah, I too wish I could have gotten it in red, like my prior one, but Polos are well clear of the cheap-n-cheerful market segment now, so it's metallics or white.

My only gripes are all the small things, like stoopid default settings that I have to turn off every effing time I get in, like the auto engine cut-out and the lane assist (both of which I loathe), plus all the dumb-ass warning messages, like it constantly telling me to turn the lights on... when the driving lights are already on (they're on permanently) or always turning on the parking assistance system whenever I put the car in reverse, whether I want it not. Grrr!!
    Last edited by The Sunny Ape; 24-08-2022 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Updated date

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sunny Ape View Post
    I've had one of the new 85TSI Polo Lifes for about a month and really enjoying it. I previously had a 2007 1.8 TDi 9N3 Polo and it's a big step up in every sense. I'd say it's about on par with a 2009 Golf in terms of size, quality and features. Smooth, quiet, comfortable and fuel efficient.

Sure, an 85kw turbo 1.0 isn't going to set your heart racing, but with the DSG in sport mode, it reacts and pulls hard enough when needed, plus you can always blip the paddle shifters and change manually if you really need to. Interior fit and finish is excellent with plenty of nice features and space for everyone. The boot's much larger than I expected too.

Yeah, I too wish I could have gotten it in red, like my prior one, but Polos are well clear of the cheap-n-cheerful market segment now, so it's metallics or white.

My only gripes are all the small things, like stoopid default settings that I have to turn off every effing time I get in, like the auto engine cut-out and the lane assist (both of which I loathe), plus all the dumb-ass warning messages, like it constantly telling me to turn the lights on... when the driving lights are already on (they're on permanently) or always turning on the parking assistance system whenever I put the car in reverse, whether I want it not. Grrr!!
    Most can be removed with an OBDELEVEN Cant remove S/S any more though We looked at a new Polo after having a 6R and bought a Kamiq which we preferred and it has the 110kw engine and is not much dearer than a Polo
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

I took delivery of a new Polo GTI in April 2023, having sold my Mk5 Golf GTI in October 2012. My impression (allowing for the 9 yr gap) is that the Polo is better in every way, with the possible exception of the scratchy plastics on the doors. I agree with the comments about the annoying "nanny" features, but I find it fairly easy to switch off the S/S with the button next to the gearlever. Of course I can't compare the non-GTI engines/transmissions.