Thread: Wolfsburg Grill

Users Country Flag

Wolfsburg Grill

Hi guys, on my wolfsburg, the grill is blacked out except for the two bars that line up with the chrome trim in the headlights. I have seen guys black out out not only the two grill bars but the headlight trim also. I have seen you can buy vinyl overlay kits to do this but a one company I spoke to said they get a few customers who get it wrong.

Is this still the best way? I had considered going down the route of plastidip on these trims. One person suggested id be better off taking it to a bodyshop and getting them to dissasemble it properly and paint
    Wolfsburg Grill-front-jpg

Users Country Flag
    i think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone in any profession who'll gladly tell you their job is redundant because the tasks are easy.

i've gone down the route of painting the trims, and they unfortunately don't last. vinyl is much longer lasting, and far more cost efficient.
    quality of the finish of course is the only difference, but it's only when you're up close that you notice the orange peel effect of vinyl.

if you don't mind the matte black of plastidip, that's even more cost effective, but would require a lot of masking.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I understand your comment about jobs. But in that instance, the particular person did all things vinyl related but said because of the intricate corners etc in the grill they didnt offer that type of overlay kit because "people got it wrong". I assume then those customers blamed the seller etc. I see badgeskins sells the kit. Maybe that is my way

I did plastidip the rear badge on the weekend and have used it many times before. I used their "glossy" can which i had not seen before. I found it didnt like the corners of the chrome. So i ended up having to use normal plastidip in ligher coats to build up and then used this can. Might as well have just used standard and a glossifier.

If i could remove the grill easily and remove the chrome trims, i would paint. They feel like they move on the grill but havent been able to find a decent post anywhere that says they can