Thread: Who tows a caravan?

Who tows a caravan?

Hi all, yeah sorry it's been asked 100 times.

What are you towing with your Mk2 Tiguan? I have a 2019 RLine 132TSI petrol.

With the correct 100kg towball weight it looks like a Jayco Lark is the biggest we can go, before looking at some weird Euro ones.

Also what and who did your towbar? Considering my past fights with VW over my Mk6 Golf (yet I still bought another two new VW's) I want to get it done and done right, even if it means going OEM at VW and paying with a kidney.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Hi Ranger
    I recently bought a 2019 RLine 162TSI petrol Tiguan to use for towing. I had based my decision on specifications for the car online, both Volkswagen and various independent sites. That research pointed to a 200kg towball weight.
    Just reading the 'Supplement to Owner's Manual for Australian Models' confirms that for both the 132 and 162 TSI models the maximum with 2 occupants on board is 200kgs. This drops to 100kg when 3-4 occupants are on board and down to 70kg with 5.

Obviously the reality is that the maximum is just that and affected by weight in the car. I plan on towing a caravan with 150kg on the ball and there will only be the two of us in the car. Am still tossing up between a VW towbar or a Hayman Reese.

This whole thing is a mine field, hoping the Tiguan tows safely.
    Cheers
    Peter
    2019 Tiguan 162 R Line, Sound and Vision and Sunroof. Silver