Thread: What is recommended battery for 2018 2.0l TFSI Wolfsburg Petrol Tiguan?

Users Country Flag

What is recommended battery for 2018 2.0l TFSI Wolfsburg Petrol Tiguan?

Hi everyone, I understand that the tiggy batteries with stop start will see the factory AGM battery last between 3 and 5 years.

Having just clocked up 3.5 years I am looking to get on the front foot in the next 6 months and organise a replacement.

With other vehicles over the past couple of decades (LS1 V8's) I have always gone with quality batteries with high CCA ratings and have got good life out of them.

The question is what battery have others gone with or recommend.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Best place to start, pop your bonnet and make note of the Part Number, that will help moving forward.
    Don't be surprised if it is either AGM or EFB+ (either are Start/Stop Batteries) and both are used in various models and sometimes two identical cars will come with different battery technology...

Genuine VW Battery (from Factory): VARTA – 7P0 915 105 AGM (Made in Germany) 68Ah 380A (680A)
    Dimensions: (L) 245mm (W) 175mm (H) 190mm “+” on left as looking front to back

My replacement, Genuine VW VARTA - 000 915 105CC AGM (Made In Germany) purchased from VW Parts Department.
    Around $450, fitted / coded. An EFB+ Battery is around $400.

If you are sourcing a non-Genuine Battery, brands such as Varta / Excide / Bosch are good places to start.
    Of course you could also explore Supercharge / Century also...

I hope this info helps...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Best place to start, pop your bonnet and make note of the Part Number, that will help moving forward.
    Don't be surprised if it is either AGM or EFB+ (either are Start/Stop Batteries) and both are used in various models and sometimes two identical cars will come with different battery technology...

Genuine VW Battery (from Factory): VARTA – 7P0 915 105 AGM (Made in Germany) 68Ah 380A (680A)

My replacement, Genuine VW VARTA - 000 915 105CC AGM (Made In Germany) purchased from VW Parts Department.

If you are sourcing a non-Genuine Battery, brands such as Varta / Excide / Bosch are good places to start.

Thanks for the info and advice - well I went and checked under the hood, and I indeed have a EFB not an AGM:

It is a Moll EFB battery:

Moll start|stop EFB Batterie 82070 70Ah

Varta/Autobarn reckon the replacement for my 2018 2.0l 162 tfsi wolfie tiguan is an AGM:

Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 570 901 076 - E39 | Varta | Shop our Full Ranges by Brand | Autobarn | Autobarn Category | Autobarn

With the price of these batteries getting towards and over the $400 I reckon I might just park the replacement idea at the moment and wait for a slow start or start/stop hiccup before jumping into a replacement ......

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post

Might be a silly question but you say fitted / coded. What has to be coded? Can't you just remove and the battery and replace it? That's how i have always replaced my own batteries in previous vehicles.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Might be a silly question but you say fitted / coded. What has to be coded? Can't you just remove and the battery and replace it? That's how i have always replaced my own batteries in previous vehicles.
    Yes well if you had read up on things you would know that in VAG cars you recode the battery to tell the computer that it has a new one and it will adjust the charging rate to suit.

In older dumb cars you can do as you say but you shouldnt do that in S/S and other VAG group models. Has been innumerable posts regarding this on here, obviously not read by some.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Newer cars with start/stop systems and "smart alternators" need to have new batteries coded to the car to ensure optimum charging characteristics etc. The new battery you buy will almost certainly be a slightly different CCA and AH rating to your old battery, not to mention the overall battery health will be much better seeing its new.

So a coding device (your battery shop or mechanic should have the correct tool - or you can buy your own tool such as OBD11 or Carista) is used to tell the car that a new battery has been fitted. You need to input certain details from the new battery (all found on the stickers on the battery).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Newer cars with start/stop systems and "smart alternators" need to have new batteries coded to the car to ensure optimum charging characteristics etc. The new battery you buy will almost certainly be a slightly different CCA and AH rating to your old battery, not to mention the overall battery health will be much better seeing its new.

So a coding device (your battery shop or mechanic should have the correct tool - or you can buy your own tool such as OBD11 or Carista) is used to tell the car that a new battery has been fitted. You need to input certain details from the new battery (all found on the stickers on the battery).
    Thanks for the detailed explanation Lucas. I've never replaced a battery on a VAG car or had a smart alternator but i do plan on buying OBD11 when my car is arrives.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yes well if you had read up on things you would know that in VAG cars you recode the battery to tell the computer that it has a new one and it will adjust the charging rate to suit.

In older dumb cars you can do as you say but you shouldnt do that in S/S and other VAG group models. Has been innumerable posts regarding this on here, obviously not read by some.
    Thanks for your reply Hillbilly. There has been no need for me to read other posts on battery replacement as I still don't have my Tiguan. It should be here in about 3 months (17 month wait) but found this post interesting hence the question.