Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand engine oil

What brand engine oil

I’ve had my 15K service done on my Tiguan Allspace at a dealership today and noticed that they have used Valvoline Synpower XL-III 5W30. I’ve always had Castrol put in my other VW’s when serviced at dealerships but just wondered if VW are using Valvoline now or is it dependent on the dealership? How does it compare to Castrol?

On a side note, I noticed when I bought my Allspace a year ago, they had a Castrol service reminder sticker on the windscreen rather than the official VW sticker although on the back of it had the dealership’s name. Now I’ve got a Valvoline sticker on.
    MY20 Tiguan Allspace Black - R-Line, S&V, Pano roof
    MY11 MK6 GTI Black - Leather, Sunroof etc.
    MY17 MK7 Golf 92 TSI
    MY18 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD (For sale)

Users Country Flag
    Interestingly that oil is only listed as "Suitable" for VW when we are supposed to use "Approved" for VW oils. I use Penrite Enviro + and have for 10 years but recently picked up some Approved Castrol for 1/2 price so am using that ATM

As long as it is an APPROVED 504/507 oil it really doesnt matter too much what brand it is as long as it meets the 04/07 criteria as per the sticker by the bonnet catch on your car

YOUR STUFF Lube Guide | Valvoline Australia

Ist the Valvoline on the Approved list??? Should also be a 504.507 rated oil
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 10-06-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Interestingly that oil is only listed as "Suitable" for VW when we are supposed to use "Approved" for VW oils. I use Penrite Enviro + and have for 10 years but recently picked up some Approved Castrol for 1/2 price so am using that ATM

As long as it is an APPROVED 504/507 oil it really doesnt matter too much what brand it is as long as it meets the 04/07 criteria as per the sticker by the bonnet catch on your car

YOUR STUFF Lube Guide | Valvoline Australia

Ist the Valvoline on the Approved list??? Should also be a 504.507 rated oil

Thanks for the information. I’ve had a look at the website and it only mentions, “ This oil can be used where VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.01 is specified. ” but then on Supercheap Auto says “Valvoline SynPower XL-III OEM approved where Volkswagen VW 504.00/507.00, Mercedes-Benz MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04 specification oils are required.”

I’ve emailed the dealership so we will see what they say. But when I had a look at their email address I noticed that they are part of a franchise dealership - Penfold Group in Melbourne. I think they have Penfold Audi, Mazda but didn’t know this VW dealership was one of them. Anyway I had my Mazda CX-9 serviced there about 2 years ago and I recall they also put on a Valvoline service reminder sticker. They probably have a contract/deal with Valvoline? I wonder if Penfold Audi gets Valvoline as well.

I never knew different dealerships use different engine oils - had my VW’s for a while but never had anything else put in by dealers other than Castrol. Next time I book I’ll be asking what brand engine oil they put in - probably wouldn’t matter but still like to use Castrol.

I suspect there could be more than one type of Valvoline SynPower XL-III.

I know Valvoline SynPower XL-III C3 is 504 507 approved.

I'd say the dealer is using the 504 507 approved version.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbu View Post
    I suspect there could be more than one type of Valvoline SynPower XL-III.

I know Valvoline SynPower XL-III C3 is 504 507 approved.

I'd say the dealer is using the 504 507 approved version.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the heads up. I noticed that there are 3 different ones under that name, one of them being C3 - on the invoice it just says Valvoline SynPower XL-III. I haven’t read up on differences but hopefully that’s just a clerical error. No need to check with them now as I know what they will say. Would draining and refilling it be an overkill?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbed12 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I’ve had a look at the website and it only mentions, “ This oil can be used where VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.01 is specified. ” but then on Supercheap Auto says “Valvoline SynPower XL-III OEM approved where Volkswagen VW 504.00/507.00, Mercedes-Benz MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04 specification oils are required.”

I’ve emailed the dealership so we will see what they say. But when I had a look at their email address I noticed that they are part of a franchise dealership - Penfold Group in Melbourne. I think they have Penfold Audi, Mazda but didn’t know this VW dealership was one of them. Anyway I had my Mazda CX-9 serviced there about 2 years ago and I recall they also put on a Valvoline service reminder sticker. They probably have a contract/deal with Valvoline? I wonder if Penfold Audi gets Valvoline as well.

I never knew different dealerships use different engine oils - had my VW’s for a while but never had anything else put in by dealers other than Castrol. Next time I book I’ll be asking what brand engine oil they put in - probably wouldn’t matter but still like to use Castrol.
    Well buy it yourself and get them to use it.Ive been doing that for 10 years without problems.

Ever since I found out the oil was $93 for 5L at the spares desk and they charged me $119 for 4L on the service invoice.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-06-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Im sure the dealership is using the correct VW specification oil when they service new VW cars day in day out.

As for the brand changing from Castrol to Valvoline, VW has had a long relationship with Castrol but oil companies will approach dealerships trying to get deals to supply their brand, and im sure price and supply times etc play a huge part in decision making as like any business, the dealership wants to maximise their profits. At the end of the day, your car is being serviced with good quality synthetic oil that meets the VW spec then no harm done.

If you want to be able to control the oil being used in your engine then (as mentioned above) you can buy it yourself and supply it to the mechanic. I have done this previously and it was no problem.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well buy it yourself and get them to use it.Ive been doing that for 10 years without problems.

Ever since I found out the oil was $93 for 5L at the spares desk and they charged me $119 for 4L on the service invoice.
    That’s a good good idea, too. I didn’t know we could do that. They changed me $102 for 5.7 L GST included so maybe it’s a cheaper one but standard capped pricing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Im sure the dealership is using the correct VW specification oil when they service new VW cars day in day out.

As for the brand changing from Castrol to Valvoline, VW has had a long relationship with Castrol but oil companies will approach dealerships trying to get deals to supply their brand, and im sure price and supply times etc play a huge part in decision making as like any business, the dealership wants to maximise their profits. At the end of the day, your car is being serviced with good quality synthetic oil that meets the VW spec then no harm done.

If you want to be able to control the oil being used in your engine then (as mentioned above) you can buy it yourself and supply it to the mechanic. I have done this previously and it was no problem.

Yeah I think I’ve been overthinking it. That’s what I thought to myself as well - I’m sure they did. I might look into getting my own oil to supply them next time or just check with them before I make a booking.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vdubbed12 View Post
    That’s a good good idea, too. I didn’t know we could do that. They changed me $102 for 5.7 L GST included so maybe it’s a cheaper one but standard capped pricing anyway.
    I dont get the capped servicing because I didnt buy car off local dealer as they didnt have any when I wanted one. However i mostly get the same price minus the oil cost in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast