Thread: Water Pump warped - replacement

Water Pump warped - replacement

02/09/20 - 2018 Tiguan, 162 Wolfsburg edition

30,000km service found low coolant. On further inspection the mechanic noted the plastic water pump is warped and may have a slow leak.

now booked in to VW I will update this tread as things develop.

did some digging, this is a problem thats too common. If anyone has been down this road before please share your story. if a service centre has replaced for you i may be able to use this as precedence to replace mine. if anyone has found a source for aftermarket waterpumps with a cast aluminum housing post it up.

ty Dub Buds.

Edit; 02/09/2020 - i'm looking for a cast aluminum waterpump that replaces the VW part 06H121026DR

Edit; 09/09/2020 - VW ran the pressure test (passed) and visual inspection to find no 'leak' and so would not be legible to be replaced under warranty claim.
    Last edited by Borgmarley; 09-09-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: 09/09 update
    2018 Tiguan Wolfsburg w/ Stage 1 ECU + TCU
    2015 Yamaha MT-07 w/ Akro exhaust

Users Country Flag
    Very common problem.

It's under warranty. No problem.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealo View Post
    It's under warranty. No problem.
    Different story once warranty has run out and the money is coming out of your pocket for a part that VW/Audi/Skoda simply cannot get right. Water pump leaks/failures are an issue on most current VW/Audi cars, and have been for a good 15 years or so since they starting using plastic parts for water pump housings/intake manifolds etc. They must be purposely designed to only have a short life.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Yep I’ve had mine replaced, my17 tig at about 30k.

Funnily enough (not really) at about 55k kms ju coolant went low again, panel shop when it was getting fixed said it failed the Pressure test, had VW look at it and they said it passed hot and cold tests and just topped it up. I’m not convinced that the water pump isn’t going again.

It’s still under warranty till Feb 2022 so will just keep an eye on it.

My theory is coolant just doesn’t disappear, it’s a sealed system more or less, so if it’s gone, it’s leaking somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post

I’m not convinced that the water pump isn’t going again.
    If they replaced with the OEM plastic pump then there is no reason why it's going to perform any better. theres aftermarket cast aluminum alternatives as recommended by my mechanic..
    2018 Tiguan Wolfsburg w/ Stage 1 ECU + TCU
    2015 Yamaha MT-07 w/ Akro exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Borgmarley View Post
    If they replaced with the OEM plastic pump then there is no reason why it's going to perform any better. theres aftermarket cast aluminum alternatives as recommended by my mechanic..
    Yes but if you get it replaced under warranty you just get another plastic one as that’s the OEM part.

If/when it fails outside warranty and you’re paying for it you can put whatever pump on you like.

And yes the aluminium ones are better but that’s one area that VW has cheaped out on these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Just did my 4th service with 48k on the clock and got told that they noticed a coolant leak around the water pump/thermostat was told it's going to be $1800 for the thermostat and "more reasonable" $1500 for the water pump not to mention the probably 4 or 5 hours to get it installed.

The dealer is putting in a good will claim so hopefully they do honor it as that's a hell of a lot of money for those two items.

Users Country Flag
    That's ridiculous
    Certainly some markup on those parts!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by R1911 View Post
    Just did my 4th service with 48k on the clock and got told that they noticed a coolant leak around the water pump/thermostat was told it's going to be $1800 for the thermostat and "more reasonable" $1500 for the water pump not to mention the probably 4 or 5 hours to get it installed.

The dealer is putting in a good will claim so hopefully they do honor it as that's a hell of a lot of money for those two items.
    I think they dropped some decimal places there.

Online DIY indicate about 2hrs for water pump, I'd imagine a VW mechanic who has lots of experience and all the correct tools should be able to complete it a lot faster.

Look around for some prices but I would expect the actual retail price for these parts to be less than $600 combined.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    I think they dropped some decimal places there.

Online DIY indicate about 2hrs for water pump, I'd imagine a VW mechanic who has lots of experience and all the correct tools should be able to complete it a lot faster.

Look around for some prices but I would expect the actual retail price for these parts to be less than $600 combined.
    Yeah been looking online with what's involved, if they do come through with the good will claim i'll of course go that route but if not i'll be looking elsewhere as that dealer markup is just a bit too eye watering for my tastes.