Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control

Users Country Flag

Lol, give him a break WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control
    Having tested it out 10 times in different situations I’m sure he’s in full control, I think he just found it weird that a radar doesn’t detect stopped cars, and he found it strange that It would accelerate instead of keeping distance from the car in front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    I have the same issue with my mobile phone, when I am walking along the road taking a selfie, the front camera does not warn me that there is something in my way which results in me walking into it.

Should I complain about this on social media or am I just a fool awaiting a Darwin placement.
    A very good analogy Flipper and the sad part is they live amongst us and breed
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Lol, give him a break WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control
    Having tested it out 10 times in different situations I’m sure he’s in full control, I think he just found it weird that a radar doesn’t detect stopped cars, and he found it strange that It would accelerate instead of keeping distance from the car in front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course it would accelerate, its supposed to to get up to the speed set for far too high in the circumstance. If the car was moving it would have slowed to keep the set distance.

Im sure he NOT in full control if he nearly ran up the back of the stopped car.

Perhaps read the manual BEFORE driving the car. Oh yeah who does that . Get in the crap and blame the car for own inadequacy.

Blog Entries

WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
    Thanks everyone for replies.
    I read the manual and see it is expected behaviour but it's not a good one.

I shared it to raise awareness because in my personal experience the acceleration after changing lanes and time to brake before crash was only about 5 seconds which is not a lot of time and especially if a driver misjudges and thinks the cruise radar may just be delayed it can be too late and crash.

It's very unusual that given this is literally radar , not camera, that this couldn't have been programmed to detect stopped cars.
    That's a concerning comment. ITS NOT MEANT TO STOP THE CAR in your OPs situation! It's cruise control, not an autopilot. The collision system is designed to assist avoid a crash, but it kick in late only as a emergency. I bet it would have done this but it's not something anyone should be testing and at that speed, it's still likely to crash.

"thinks the cruise radar may just be delayed it can be too late and crash." Then the driver is a moron and should not be driving. Sorry to be harsh but it's true.

It's working exactly as intended. And it works very well.

I find it quite alarming that people would think the ACC is designed avoid a crash. Flip it's similar to the Tesla driver I saw literally reading a book, face down, on the freeway.
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; 15-01-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    VW Tiguan 2018 162TSI Highline
    VW Polo 2015 81TSI Comfortline

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    That's a concerning comment. ITS NOT MEANT TO STOP CAR! It's cruise control, not an autopilot. The collision system is designed to assist avoid a crash, but it kick in late only as a emergency. I bet it would have done this but it's not something anyone should be testing and at that speed, it's still likely to crash.

"thinks the cruise radar may just be delayed it can be too late and crash." Then the driver is a moron and should not be driving. Sorry to be harsh but it's true.

It's working exactly as intended. And it works very well.

I find it quite alarming that people would think the ACC is designed avoid a crash. Flip it's similar to the Tesla driver I saw literally reading a book, face down, on the freeway.
    As it cant see STATIONARY objects it probably wont stop. Yes maybe eventually they will get it to see them but not in current models.

Blog Entries

WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    As it cant see STATIONARY objects it probably wont stop. Yes maybe eventually they will get it to see them but not in current models.
    It's worrisome that people driving cars are not aware of how the technology works.

I remember a UK article with some older people having a go at the Tiguan because the bushes around their roads are were being picked up as objects by the collisions avoidance system and activated the brakes. The lady got so worried she stopped driving the car and the local news wrote an article.

It's happened to me before on a very narrow road, around vineyards. It takes 10-20 seconds to turn the system off. The journalist didn't do much research, the owners clearly didn't consult the manual.

It also reminds me of the idiots who drove into the sea at low tide because the sat nav apparently said so.

I love the tech in the Tiguan. It's just dangerous when people don't understand it's function like in the OP and adjust their driving behaviour to misperceptions.
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; 15-01-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    VW Tiguan 2018 162TSI Highline
    VW Polo 2015 81TSI Comfortline

Users Country Flag
    yeah, the ACC can’t see stationary objects, and will not react to people, animals or cars crossing the lane or coming towards you in the same lane. The front assist can detect some of these, between certain km/h ranges, but its full of limitations too. Maybe one day they will…….. but till then the driver needs to remain in control at all times.
    May 20 - Nov 19 MY20 Tiguan 162 TSI
    May 16 - Apr 16 Mazda 3 Sp25 GT - 2020 hail storm write-off
    May 13 - 2013 Mk7 Golf Highline.
    May 10 - 2009 Falcon G6E with beige leather.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nauend View Post
    yeah, the ACC can’t see stationary objects, and will not react to people, animals or cars crossing the lane or coming towards you in the same lane. The front assist can detect some of these, between certain km/h ranges, but its full of limitations too. Maybe one day they will…….. but till then the driver needs to remain in control at all times.
    Does react to car crossing as I had one pull out from side of the road and do a U turn right in front of me the first week I had my Passat in 2010. Bloody thing stopped dead before I could hit the brake and it was an earlier version of Front Assist. Some now have pedestrian avoidance as well including the Tiguans

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Does react to car crossing as I had one pull out from side of the road and do a U turn right in front of me the first week I had my Passat in 2010. Bloody thing stopped dead before I could hit the brake and it was an earlier version of Front Assist. Some now have pedestrian avoidance as well including the Tiguans
    yeah the front assist will pick those up if you travelling within the speed range where the car will detect that. my car has put done the emergency braking once - it picked up the tail of a bus in the next lane as the bus swung out to turn a corner off the road - glad to have seen what it’s like when the car brakes with the red warning dash message, and happy to know it’s there (and hope I don’t need to experience that again!). My car has recently put on the brakes as I back out of the garage - still working through what I am doing or what the car is seeing for it to do that!
    May 20 - Nov 19 MY20 Tiguan 162 TSI
    May 16 - Apr 16 Mazda 3 Sp25 GT - 2020 hail storm write-off
    May 13 - 2013 Mk7 Golf Highline.
    May 10 - 2009 Falcon G6E with beige leather.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nauend View Post
    yeah the front assist will pick those up if you travelling within the speed range where the car will detect that. my car has put done the emergency braking once - it picked up the tail of a bus in the next lane as the bus swung out to turn a corner off the road - glad to have seen what it’s like when the car brakes with the red warning dash message, and happy to know it’s there (and hope I don’t need to experience that again!). My car has recently put on the brakes as I back out of the garage - still working through what I am doing or what the car is seeing for it to do that!
    If your driveway is sloped it could read the road as an impediment as it approaches it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast