Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control

WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control

Noticed in MK2 Tiguan but probably same for all ACC radar cruise Vw

Summary:
    When changing lane from one with car in front to empty, ACC accelerates the car dangerously fast and does not detect car 50metres ahead stopped in lane.

Driver must force the brakes and disengage ACC to avoid crash.

Example:
    ACC radar cruise control on
    Highway driving approx 80km/h
    Exit highway which has multilanes at exit
    Car in front slows down
    ACC detects and slows down

Driver (you) change to a lane which is clear for another 50metres before car stopped at traffic light

ACC sees clear lane & accelerates aggressively to reach set speed.

ACC does not respond to stopped car just 50metres ahead and keeps driving at set speed.

Driver forced to manually break when 15-20metres away to avoid crash.

I have now confirmed this behaviour about 10 times in different situations.

The pattern is the same every time.
    When car is slowed down from set ACC speed, changing to lane which is clear but has slow or stopped car further ahead - ACC no longer detects or responds to 2nd car and will crash without driver.

This is extremely strange.
    Definitely software error.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Is there a software update?

Edit: exact same problem experienced by other drivers here
    https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/threads/possible-major-acc-bug.2546/
    Last edited by fatjoez; 09-01-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I was always under the impression that ACC does not “see” cars that aren’t moving (stopped), unless they are moving to begin with and slow down to a complete stop, eg: following a car off the freeway and stopping at traffic lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WARNING: crash risk ACC radar cruise control

Take it to the dealer with video footage
    Last edited by Timmy35851; 09-01-2022 at 09:31 PM.
    2019 Tiguan R-Line - IS38 Turbo - Spectuned - X-Force Downpipe - RS7 Spark Plugs - CTS Inlet Elbow - ECS Inlet Pipe - K&N Panel Filter - Golf R Muffler - APR Exhaust Controller - Superpro Rear Swaybar - Digital Dash Retrofitted - 034 Dogbone Mount - DBA T3 Rotors & Pads - Golf R Springs

Users Country Flag
    I think that if you read the owner's manual, you will see that the system does not detect stopped cars. I don't think that it's a fault. It may well be an unwelcome characteristic that you have to note. Cheers-John

Users Country Flag
    Mine doesnt do it and I use it on the highway all the time. Is NOT a Fault It cant see stopped vehicles and thats your job to control it. Same if you drive it up to a wall. It wont see it. Also it doesnt accelerate "dangerously " fast. I have a 162 and it just gets up and goes to get back to set speed which I dont find dangerous.

Try it with a big cardboard box if you dont believe me. Get out on a country road (Plenty in NZ) and stick a big box in the middle of the road. Get up to acc speed and get close to it. Car wont do anything but keep on going. Was exactly the same in my Mk7 Passat.

Also if cornering it can lose sight of the vehicle in front and once again wake up and control it. Tells you things like that in the book in the cellophane in the glovebox.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-01-2022 at 09:48 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    i did a quick google and found this behaviour - ACC not recognising a parked vehicle - is know behaviour across a number of car makers/the current technology.

This link discusses some testing done and mentions a few models that will hit the parked car each time:

New cars can stay in their lane—but might not stop for parked cars | Ars Technica

“New cars can stay in their lane—but might not stop for parked cars.”

Was not a limitation I was conscious of (may have read it in the manual ages ago), so its good to know. Lane keep and city autonomous braking are also not perfect from my experience!
    May 20 - Nov 19 MY20 Tiguan 162 TSI
    May 16 - Apr 16 Mazda 3 Sp25 GT - 2020 hail storm write-off
    May 13 - 2013 Mk7 Golf Highline.
    May 10 - 2009 Falcon G6E with beige leather.

Users Country Flag
    At the end of the day, you still need to be in control of the vehicle and be aware of danger.

These are driver assist features, they're not meant to be auto-pilot.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks everyone for replies.
    I read the manual and see it is expected behaviour but it's not a good one.

I shared it to raise awareness because in my personal experience the acceleration after changing lanes and time to brake before crash was only about 5 seconds which is not a lot of time and especially if a driver misjudges and thinks the cruise radar may just be delayed it can be too late and crash.

It's very unusual that given this is literally radar , not camera, that this couldn't have been programmed to detect stopped cars.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
    Thanks everyone for replies.
    I read the manual and see it is expected behaviour but it's not a good one.

I shared it to raise awareness because in my personal experience the acceleration after changing lanes and time to brake before crash was only about 5 seconds which is not a lot of time and especially if a driver misjudges and thinks the cruise radar may just be delayed it can be too late and crash.

It's very unusual that given this is literally radar , not camera, that this couldn't have been programmed to detect stopped cars.

It is expected when you get a new car you familiarize yourself with it by reading the manual if you arent aware what the various systems do.
    Everything has limitations and as you have found when you do a sneaky late lane change to gain a few car lengths advantage it doesnt see the stopped car.
    You as the driver are supposed to be in control and have no excuse for running up someones backside and saying " it was on ACC and didnt stop".
    Seems as no one else has brought it up on here its not a problem to other owners who have made themselves aware of what the car can and cannot do.
    More like owner ignorance than a car fault.

When I got my Tig I sat down and read the relevant parts of the manual before trying stuff. Like how to set drivers seat, how the Nav works, how ACC works. Also have a new Skoda and did the same as even though from the same stable, things are set up quite differently.

Also you dont have to disengage it to stop as it will disengage if you brake and you have to reset it again but a prudent person would before exiting the freeway as you wont be doing that speed on minor roads, so why keep it on and set to over the local speed limit.

Scenario Driver following car off freeway with ACC engaged at 90kph??and is at following speed of car in front Suddenly sees lane beside has only one car in it so whips across and car then tries to get up to set speed (as it should). Car in lane is stopped so driver just rolls on with ACC ( Oh s**t its not going to stop) Of course it wont. Why not disengage it or dab the brakes a bit as you whip across and it would have slowed down naturally. You would have to reengage it after you braked anyway.

Poor driving habits me thinks.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-01-2022 at 03:23 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I have the same issue with my mobile phone, when I am walking along the road taking a selfie, the front camera does not warn me that there is something in my way which results in me walking into it.

Should I complain about this on social media or am I just a fool awaiting a Darwin placement.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast