Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: VW Tyres - Continental with ContiSeal - Absolute Rubbish

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Users Country Flag

    Thumbs down VW Tyres - Continental with ContiSeal - Absolute Rubbish

    Continental Tyres with ContiSeal looks like a complete marketing scam

    Got a small screw within the 5mm limits as specified by Continental and the Tyre still leaked air
    Tyre Technology - Sealing punctures with ContiSeal™

    Worse still, when you take it in to get repaired, Tyre places say its a headache to remove the ContiSeal goo that is stuck on the inside and are hesitant to do the work.

    Seems our friends in the UK have the same issue
    ContiSeal tyres and a space saver? What's the point? - Page 3 - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums


    Has anyone else experienced nail / screws in their Continental with ContiSeal Tyre's and they still leaked ?
    Last edited by FastMitch; 28-01-2020 at 07:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    478
    Users Country Flag
    Which models come with these tyres?
    Didn’t know such a thing existed. I have always used a puncture repair kit it’s saved me about 6 trips to the tyre shop
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    667
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Continental Tyres with ContiSeal looks like a complete marketing scam

    Got a small screw within the 5mm limits as specified by Continental and the Tyre still leaked air
    Tyre Technology - Sealing punctures with ContiSeal™

    Worse still, when you take it in to get repaired, Tyre places say its a headache to remove the ContiSeal goo that is stuck on the inside and are hesitant to do the work.

    Seems our friends in the UK have the same issue
    ContiSeal tyres and a space saver? What's the point? - Page 3 - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums


    Has anyone else experienced nail / screws in their Continental with ContiSeal Tyre's and they still leaked ?
    Had a nail in the side wall of one of my fronts last week, went with the conti 101Y AO front replacements as they were both due for replacement..
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    I have always used a puncture repair kit it’s saved me about 6 trips to the tyre shop
    I think you'll find that is for off-road massive tyres. Can't see this working well on thin 20" tyres.
    >> YouTube

    If you need to do it as a DIY, this kit looks better
    >> YouTube

    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Which models come with these tyres? Didn’t know such a thing existed.
    Neither did I until I got the screw in the Tyre. Model is a Tiguan Highline RLine
    Last edited by FastMitch; 28-01-2020 at 09:06 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    187
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    I think you'll find that is for off-road massive tyres. Can't see this working well on thin 20" tyres.
    >> YouTube

    If you need to do it as a DIY, this kit looks better
    >> YouTube


    Neither did I until I got the screw in the Tyre. Model is a Tiguan Highline RLine
    Iíve never had to use it, but the Mini Cooper comes with a repair kit by default, as thereís no space for a spare wheel.

    Not saying itís a good alternative, but an alternative (for non 4WDís) nonetheless.

  6. #6
    Same, I had a roofing screw go into mine then took it to a tyre shop and they said these are a massive pain in the arse to repair.

    I tried to pull out the roofing screw and it leaked air, so I pushed it back in and took it to a repair shop.
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2) [Build Thread]

    www.nhbautomotive.com.au

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    Same, I had a roofing screw go into mine then took it to a tyre shop and they said these are a massive pain in the arse to repair.

    I tried to pull out the roofing screw and it leaked air, so I pushed it back in and took it to a repair shop.
    Did the Tyre shop repair it in the end ?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Did the Tyre shop repair it in the end ?
    Yes they did, but charged me $50 where as last time they repaired a normal tyre or was $30.

    They use a proper mushroom to plug up the hole, ie remove the tyre plug it up, then back on. Other places just use that rubber strip thing (which you can do yourself).

    This was done at Blair's Tyres Lansvale.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    Yes they did, but charged me $50 where as last time they repaired a normal tyre or was $30.

    They use a proper mushroom to plug up the hole, ie remove the tyre plug it up, then back on. Other places just use that rubber strip thing (which you can do yourself).

    This was done at Blair's Tyres Lansvale.
    Did they have to scrape off the Tar Goo before they put in the plug ?

    I wonder if the Continental with ContiSeal comes with any sort of warranty ?

    Or if this should be covered under VW warranty as they are the seller ?

    "Tyres
    Any claims in relation to tyres.


    Note: Tyres may be covered by warranties offered by individual tyre suppliers.

    Your authorised Volkswagen Dealer may be able to assist you with claiming
    this warranty from the supplier. If a tyre is found to be defective within the
    New Vehicle Warranty period, it will be assessed on the nature of the defect
    and the percentage of wear incurred. Where tyres are covered by a warranty,
    the warranty may not be the same length as the New Vehicle Warranty.


    Wear and tear
    Any parts and accessories that wear out as part of their normal operation

    (e.g. clutch linings, brake discs and pads, brake linings, wiper blades, globes
    of all types (excluding bi xenon and LED), fuses, trims, diesel particulate
    filters, catalytic converters, all belts, tyres, spark and glow plugs, shock
    absorbers, wheel bearings, and ball joints, filters, fuses, dry cell batteries,
    satellite navigation update discs, textile and rubber floor mats, gas struts,
    cargo liner, tub liner and all other parts and accessories of your vehicle that
    have been subject to normal wear and tear."
    Last edited by FastMitch; 29-01-2020 at 09:24 PM.

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Did they have to scrape off the Tar Goo before they put in the plug ?

    I wonder if the Continental with ContiSeal comes with any sort of warranty ?

    Or if this should be covered under VW warranty as they are the seller ?
    No idea TBH Mitch, but all my tyres are nearing the tread indicator so I didn't mind too much.
    Will be replacing them all with something else, either Bridgestone RE003 or Hankook RS-4 (if that make it in that size) or similar
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2) [Build Thread]

    www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |