Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VW Tyres - Continental with ContiSeal - Absolute Rubbish

Users Country Flag

My wife’s car has the pirelli tyres with “seal inside”. She got a puncture that sealed itself in a similar manner to the way the continental tyres should work. I fixed it myself with a mushroom plug (easy to insert from the outside with the correct application tools). Hasn’t been a problem since, but it’ll be due for tyres soon.

I think the concept of the self-sealing tyre is good - has the potential to prevent the catastrophic destruction of the tyre carcass - leaving enough time for a driver to pull over and change to the spare. For people who are in any way attentive to their vehicles however, I think it’s of dubious value and IMO certainly not worth the high price come time to replace the tyres.

just replaced the pirellis on my alltrack a few weeks ago. Can gladly recommend the new Kumho PA51 which was released towards the end of last year - so much so, I’ll be putting the same model of tyres on my wife’s comfort line in the coming weeks.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    Will be replacing them all with something else, either Bridgestone RE003 or Hankook RS-4 (if that make it in that size) or similar
    Let me know which one you go with and if they are better than the Continentals (grip & quiet)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    My wife’s car has the pirelli tyres with “seal inside”. She got a puncture that sealed itself in a similar manner to the way the continental tyres should work. I fixed it myself with a mushroom plug (easy to insert from the outside with the correct application tools)
    What type of DIY Tyre puncture kit did you use ?

Was the mushroom plug on a 20" Tyre ?

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    just replaced the pirellis on my alltrack a few weeks ago. Can gladly recommend the new Kumho PA51 which was released towards the end of last year - so much so, I’ll be putting the same model of tyres on my wife’s comfort line in the coming weeks.
    Are the Kumho PA51 quiet compared to the 20" Continentals ?

I had a nail in my front left tyre. Took it to my mate, he owns a tyre shop, and he just got one of his guys to pull the nail out and the contiseal made a perfect seal once the nail was out.

It protruded out of the hole, he filed it back slightly just so it was flush with the rest of the tyre and once i got home, couldn't even tell where the nail went in. The hole was completely filled in, and blended into the tyre from road wear. Same colour and same texture as the tyre itself.

From my experience, I could not recommend the technology enough.

Since that first one, I had another nail is drivers rear, this time I pulled it out, it was in one of the big water channels and another perfect seal with road driving then blending the seal into the tyre to be completely unoticeable again.

Nails in the ‘flat’ part of the tyre (main tread area) is the ideal scenario for sealant-filled tyres. For most people, these are the most common punctures, too.

It’s not meant to be a magic fix for all/any possible puncture causing issues- and there are drawbacks for anything not in the design brief of the tyres.

If I have a car with no spare/space saver. I’d rather have the goo, than not. I just pity anyone who does need to do a repair by hand.

Users Country Flag

^ What he said, plus.

Puncture sealants been around for more than 20 Years. Many of them do work. I’ve used Proma (Australian product) puncture sealant with great success in many cars and never been charged extra when buying new tyres because it had the goo in them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12