Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Tiguan 5 Year Care Plan - Is it worth it ?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I am leaning to the 5 Year Care Plan as it includes free annual Roadside Assist ...

Your VW roadside assist is renewed each year if you service it at a dealership for the warranty period anyway.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    That raises a question with me which I've never considered - assuming VW don't have their own tow trucks & mobile mechanics, whose service do they use?

e.g. if they're using RAC(state) they'd have lots of trucks and minimal wait times when you call on them. Would be curious to know how good VW's roadside assist is and how long they'll keep you waiting compared to others.

Users Country Flag
    Looks expensive to me. $460/year and it does not include water pump, timing belts, brake pads, wiper blades all of which will likely need to be replaced in the 5 years.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Looks expensive to me. $460/year and it does not include water pump, timing belts, brake pads, wiper blades all of which will likely need to be replaced in the 5 years.
    1)
    I would expect less warranty disputes when serviced at a VW dealership.
    I expect VW will push more on warranty disputes when serviced at non-dealerships. No proof just an assumption.

2)
    VW private mechanics charge $355 1st Year but does not include annual roadside assist which cost ~$114 - $186 annually (RACV)
    - Add $100 roadeside assist to the VW private mechanic and you get to $460
    VW private mechanics charge
    $355 2nd (+ $45 pollen filter) but pollen filter is included in the VW standard service costs
    - So in the 2nd year the private mechanic costs more then VW when adding the pollen filter and roadside assist.

3)
    All vehicle annual service costs with dealerships never include timing belts, brake pads & wiper blades that I have seen.
    Not sure why you are expecting brake pads to be included in the standard service costs. Have you had this in the past ?

4)
    Don't know
    Volkstech from a bar of soap. Don't know if they are any good or have muppets for mechanics.
    Don't know if they are better or worse than a dealership. But just looking at costs, saving $30 doesn't seem to be enough of a driver.

5)
    Do VW private mechanics do Map Updates for free ?
    Last edited by FastMitch; 11-07-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    1)
    I would expect less warranty disputes when serviced at a VW dealership.
    I expect VW will push more on warranty disputes when serviced at non-dealerships. No proof just an assumption.

2)
    VW private mechanics charge $355 1st Year but does not include annual roadside assist which cost ~$114 - $186 annually (RACV)
    - Add $100 roadeside assist to the VW private mechanic and you get to $460
    VW private mechanics charge
    $355 2nd (+ $45 pollen filter) but pollen filter is included in the VW standard service costs
    - So in the 2nd year the private mechanic costs more then VW when adding the pollen filter and roadside assist.

3)
    All vehicle annual service costs with dealerships never include timing belts, brake pads & wiper blades that I have seen.
    Not sure why you are expecting brake pads to be included in the standard service costs. Have you had this in the past ?

4)
    Don't know
    Volkstech from a bar of soap. Don't know if they are any good or have muppets for mechanics.
    Don't know if they are better or worse than a dealership. But just looking at costs, saving $30 doesn't seem to be enough of a driver.

5)
    Do VW private mechanics do Map Updates for free ?
    sounds like you've made up your mind.

1) you'll be disappointed if you sign up for the service plan expecting this to be the case.
    5) not that i know of

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    None of which I have ever had included in a service Also never had an included pollen filter either Water pumps are 7 years or 105K as are timing belts

As for the poster wanting Map updates Do them yourself they are free from the VW portal or easy to get on here even

Does he want the nice lady to serve his coffee as well LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-07-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by PDMJO View Post
    That raises a question with me which I've never considered - assuming VW don't have their own tow trucks & mobile mechanics, whose service do they use?

e.g. if they're using RAC(state) they'd have lots of trucks and minimal wait times when you call on them. Would be curious to know how good VW's roadside assist is and how long they'll keep you waiting compared to others.
    From the VW site if that helps:
    Service Assist Roadside Assist or SIRA

means the Volkswagen Roadside Assist program provided by AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 trading as Allianz Global Assistance, under an arrangement with Volkswagen Group Australia Pty Limited ABN 14 093 117 876.

Quote Originally Posted by PDMJO View Post
    sounds like you've made up your mind.

1) you'll be disappointed if you sign up for the service plan expecting this to be the case.
    5) not that i know of
    Mind not made up. As I don't have any experience with private VW mechanics, if the private mechanic makes a balls up, I feel I have less recourse compared to the VW dealership. Again an assumption on my part.

I also understood (unless this has changed) that "updates to the navigation software are provided free-of-charge forthe first five years."

Yes, you can download and update the maps yourself, but why bother if its included for free on the standard VW dealer service.

6)
    If people on the forum generally go VW private mechanics and therefore are not eligible for the VW roadside assist, are owners buying 3rd party roadside assist or just taking the risk it will not break down ?

7)
    Are tyre rotations included in the standard VW service ?
    Last edited by FastMitch; 11-07-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    From the VW site if that helps:
    Service Assist Roadside Assist or SIRA

means the Volkswagen Roadside Assist program provided by AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 trading as Allianz Global Assistance, under an arrangement with Volkswagen Group Australia Pty Limited ABN 14 093 117 876.

Mind not made up. As I don't have any experience with private VW mechanics, if the private mechanic makes a balls up, I feel I have less recourse compared to the VW dealership. Again an assumption on my part.

I also understood (unless this has changed) that "updates to the navigation software are provided free-of-charge forthe first five years."

Yes, you can download and update the maps yourself, but why bother if its included for free on the standard VW dealer service.

6)
    If people on the forum generally go VW private mechanics and therefore are not eligible for the VW roadside assist, are owners buying 3rd party roadside assist or just taking the risk it will not break down ?

7)
    Are tyre rotations included in the standard VW service ?
    They rotated mine cost me $33 + GST. You will find the roadside assist is RACQ or similar contracted to VW

Is seriously doubt they will spend 45mins loading a a map into your car for free. Thats why they are free to do yourself
    Only time I ever got one off a dealer he gave me the DVD .said go and do it and give it to me back and dont tell the boss.

I have 2 cars so have never ever used or had to use a mechanic whilst travelling locally.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You will find the roadside assist is RACQ or similar contracted to VW
    Do you have 3rd party roadside assist ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast