Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibrating shuddering wipers

Users Country Flag

Thumbs down Vibrating shuddering wipers

I have vibrating / shuddering wipers on the front and the back.

The front is only slight but still occurs even in pouring rain. The rear are awful and shudder almost always even in heavy rain.

As the Tiguan has only done 10K km and as this has been happening since brand new, I just assumed it would subside over time. However now that it is winter and being used more this is just getting silly.

Washing the windows and wipers appears to make no difference.

Is the VW wiper rubber cheap or have others had similar issues as I have owned cars before and never had this issue

Any suggestions on resolving the issue would be appreciated
    Last edited by FastMitch; 24-04-2021 at 09:55 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Mine does it in light rain but ok in heavy stuff
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Had same issue on front wipers - took to the front windscreen a few times with hot soapy water and also took off the wipers and hit them the same water, you could just do this without taking them off, but I was curious as to how they removed, then when dry, hit windscreen with some actual windows cleaner. Has been successful for me.

Two years three months in for my ownership and 30k - will probably give Wolfie a birthday pressie in January 2022 and purchase a new set of wipers and blades.

Users Country Flag
    no issues of shuddering with mine in the 37,000kms I have done
    Only issue is that the rear have over the last 5,000kms started to miss a bit on the bottom of the upswing
    Was thinking they might need to be replaced at next service
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

When i had this issue i was told it could be the wax residue from the car wash i was using. So i used some crumpled up newspaper and glass cleaner and gave the windscreen a good clean. It did the trick for me. Using newspaper was more effective than using a microfibre cloth. I have to do this after every wash now.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Will try window cleaner after the next wash and see if that has any impact.

I read in other posts that some owners had misaligned wiper arms causing this issue. How does one tell if the arms are misaligned ?
    If this is the case, are these covered under warranty if they are misaligned ?

Users Country Flag
    Have heard claybarring it will fix it but Im not game to do it. Had a Cruiser screen done when a neighbour blew over-spray over the car and it was OK
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Have heard claybarring it will fix it but Im not game to do it. Had a Cruiser screen done when a neighbour blew over-spray over the car and it was OK
    You can easily feel if your windscreen/paintwork needs a clay bay. With a clean car, put your hand inside a plastic bag and then gently rub your hand over the surface. If its nice and smooth and the bag has no resistance then you are all good, but if you can hear or feel resistance then you have either overspray or more commonly industrial fallout/tree sap/tar spots etc and it could definitely benefit from a clay bar.

Dont be afraid to use it, as long as the surface is clean and lubricated you cant do any damage. Also when you are done, giving the glass a coating of paint sealant does wonders for helping the water bead off and your wipers to glide smoothly.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

True having clean glass to start with is a great help but you need to also look at the state of your blades. Blades also need regular cleaning and inspection to see if there is no uneven wear.
    My recommendation is to grab some cotton balls and wet them with WD40 or rubbing alcohol, rub the cotton ball along the length of the blade and you will see some dark muck come off. Repeat this process with a clean cotton ball several times until the cotton ball remains clean. Then look at the blade to see that there are no nicks on the blade or other imperfections which will cause an uneven sweep pattern across the surface.

Depending on the quality of the blades, their exposure to UV light and heat and the condition of your windscreen, this all has some affect on how long they will remain affective.

Nothing wrong on replacing worn wiper blades but with proper care you can achieve years out of a set.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Just had crack repaired by O'Briens Autoglass and notice that the wipers DONT operate like they used to, now shuddering/vibrating. Anyone had this issue? They did offer me to replace the wipers when they repaired the crack, but with 40K, and wipers working perfectly, I declined. Now I know why they offered. Seems the repair/resin has created a rough service. Wouldn't new rubbers just run into the same problem?

Anyone know of any hacks, claybar, alcohol solutions to run over the windscreen in attempt to fix/reduce friction?
    MY19 Tiguan 162TSI Highline Allspace | DAP, R-Line, S&V, Sunroof, White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast