Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unexpected gearbox(?) noise coming from car during acceleration

Users Country Flag

Unexpected gearbox(?) noise coming from car during acceleration

Hey all, newbie here and glad to be part of the forum.

Having a problem - just purchased a Tiguan HL MY17 privately, had it inspected by VW beforehand and test drove myself and all seemed OK. On that basis I purchased the vehicle. However, a couple days in and the car is making noises which I did not pickup on the test drive nor did VW during inspection.

When the car is put into Drive and start accelerating gently, it makes a short, sharp 'grinding' type sound for a split second (best I can describe it - similar to synchromesh grind in a manual car). At the moment it only occurs when going from Park to Drive and accelerating from standstill or from Reverse to Drive and in 1st gear around 10km/h. Once the car is in Drive and then stop, it doesn't do it again (at this stage). It's intermittent but replicable. Will uploaded a video shortly which demonstrates the sound.

Obviously not very happy given its day 3 of ownership and have contacted the seller and VW to have it inspected.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who knows of this issue or what it may be or if there are other threads discussing this issue, thanks.
    Last edited by Teduardo; 20-08-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Unexpected gearbox(?) noise coming from car during acceleration

Does this occur when turning? Or in a straight line?

I’ve had a number of discussions with various people at VW about the Haldex “binding” in 1st gear.

It’s almost like a diff lock on the rear axles and you can get tyre scrubbing/slip at low speeds on take-off. It only happens when turning though as you wouldn’t notice it happening in a straight line.

I have been told this is “normal” and come to accept it but not sure it’s the same noise as what you’re describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Tigger, seems to occur in a straight line (at least for the moment) from when I put the car into Drive from Park (when I first start up and drive off) or from Reverse to Drive (ie doing a 3-point turn). Waiting for YT to finish processing a couple videos and will insert links.

See links below
    Last edited by Teduardo; 20-08-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Here are the 2 videos I recorded so I can show the dealer service guys in case I cant replicate at the time.

Tiguan noises_1 - YouTube
    Tiguan noises_2 - YouTube
    Last edited by tigger73; 20-08-2020 at 10:47 PM.

That's certainly not normal. Back to VW you go.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mr gee View Post
    That's certainly not normal. Back to VW you go.
    Agree. Definitely not normal, I’m sorry to say.
    I hope you have some luck with the vendor or VW....You’ll love your Tiggy once you’ve got that sorted!
    Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | DAP | MY18

Thanks, not a great start though!
    Researching if I have any protection under Sales of Goods Act with the seller (probably not under ACL) and/or VW under ACL given its literally only 3mths out of warranty as it does consitute a failure of some description.

Looks like the owner did a dodgy start the car and drive for a minute to ensure the car is good for the buyer.
    As is expected you tend to coordinate a time to look at a car- gives the seller the chance to ‘game’ the process.

Good luck. If the car has service history, I suspect VW will cover it. I don’t think you’ll have any recourse through the private sale. “Car was fine when I had it” will be the reply.

Sorry to hear mate, definitely does not sound right. Hopefully it is sorted out and in your favour.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast