Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected gearbox(?) noise coming from car during acceleration

Users Country Flag

Two things..
    1. Lol at the suggestion it was the automatic doors locking.
    2. That guy got a refund? Is this a UK thing?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Teduardo View Post
    Hey all, newbie here and glad to be part of the forum.

Having a problem - just purchased a Tiguan HL MY17 privately, had it inspected by VW beforehand and test drove myself and all seemed OK. On that basis I purchased the vehicle. However, a couple days in and the car is making noises which I did not pickup on the test drive nor did VW during inspection.

When the car is put into Drive and start accelerating gently, it makes a short, sharp 'grinding' type sound for a split second (best I can describe it - similar to synchromesh grind in a manual car). At the moment it only occurs when going from Park to Drive and accelerating from standstill or from Reverse to Drive and in 1st gear around 10km/h. Once the car is in Drive and then stop, it doesn't do it again (at this stage). It's intermittent but replicable. Will uploaded a video shortly which demonstrates the sound.

Obviously not very happy given its day 3 of ownership and have contacted the seller and VW to have it inspected.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who knows of this issue or what it may be or if there are other threads discussing this issue, thanks.
    Hi Teduardo
    Just wondering if there is any update on your problem.
    I have a 2017 Tiguan Highline I have had since new that has been making this same noise from about 3 months after I got it (as we went into winter, usually only on the first start of the day on moving from reverse into drive, now sometimes more if the outside temp is cold).
    Have asked Vw to investigate it multiple times, told it is a “normal Haldex adjustment” and as they can’t replicate it (after being driven in to the service dept that day) they are not much interested.
    Would be very interested if you had success as it is going in for service next Tuesday.
    Thanks

@noisytig just read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wpisdu View Post
    Hey man, I logged in just to tell you it's a 2nd gear synchro 1000%, been there. I had that fixed under a warranty.

Read this thread if you want more details
    Weird noise on a cold engine when driving off after reversing. - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Thanks heaps @wpisdu.

Same noise, 2017 Highline in Australia.

Users Country Flag
    Did you get a result Teduardo?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Having experienced a Haldex issue that tigger73 described, it sounds nothing like what you have on the video. That does not sound normal at all.
    2012 TDi DSG Tiguan
    2011 TDi DSG Octavia Wagon

Hi did you get this fixed? I am having this noise since I got it new and every service I tell them and they say they can’t replicate it.

I showed them videos and they still don’t want to help.

Is there a way they can check the 2nd gear synchro? It seems this is the issue from what I have read online but how to get VW to check it and replace it? It is driving me crazy! Does anyone know if it’s damaging to the car?

Tempted to email VWA directly with video so they can talk to the dealership.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi all, sorry for not updating sooner. Here's how it ended up...(positive in my case)

After inspecting the gearbox, Dealer acknowledged there was a problem and advised that a 2nd gear rebuild would be required (theres a technical update on this very issue from VW as I was told). With VWA approval (as a 'Goodwill' repair) they did this TWICE and on both occassions it did not remedy the problem (apparently the spares - which had to come from Germany, not Sydney - are also defective). So, after some frustration and a number of months, they agreed the gearbox needed replacing, which they did. Since then, no issuse (with the gearbox at least) and glad they did this just outside of warranty. Not sure the response would be the same if it was older.

So in short... no, its not normal and yes, they should do something to remedy (either rebuild or replace) as my experience is it WILL get worse over time (as mine did). Am thankful the Dealer did a good job to get the right outcome in this instance but it did take some time and patience.

Thanks for the update. Did you manage to replicate it at the dealership? Would you know the technical update that I can refer the dealership to?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

No, I couldnt replicate at dealer as it only happened on cold startup and disappered after it warmed up. Hence why I recorded from within and outside the car if you have seen my posts. They put me in a loan car at one point early on and kept mine overnight so they could try replicate it the following day, which they were able to do. Perhaps you can discuss something like this with them. Its pretty hard to dispute the videos if you have them though which should at least start the conversation towards acknowledgement.

Re technical update, I dont have that detail. It was a comment offered in conversation by the service rep.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast