Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre wear on Tiguan 140TDI R 20 inch wheels.

Users Country Flag

Tyre wear on Tiguan 140TDI R 20 inch wheels.

Hi Guys
    My 2017 Tiggy just had 30K service and front tyres are 1.5mm and rears 4mm. This is close to replacement. At around $450 per corner this is expensive driving.
    All my driving is country **** NSW roads, no dirt. No hi speed<115km/hr, no trailer.
    Usually get around 50K kms from previous Honda Accords and Subaru Liberty. Been licensed since 1964.

My plan is to fit Audi 18 by 8 Wheels and 235 by 55 V rated tyres. Tyres are cheaper and a much better range to pick from. I am tempted to try Coopers, as had good run with them on 4x4s, road noise is my main worry. Has anyone experienced them on a passenger vehicle??

Thanks
    Geoff

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hi Guys
    My 2017 Tiggy just had 30K service and front tyres are 1.5mm and rears 4mm. This is close to replacement. At around $450 per corner this is expensive driving.
    All my driving is country **** NSW roads, no dirt. No hi speed<115km/hr, no trailer.
    Usually get around 50K kms from previous Honda Accords and Subaru Liberty. Been licensed since 1964.

My plan is to fit Audi 18 by 8 Wheels and 235 by 55 V rated tyres. Tyres are cheaper and a much better range to pick from. I am tempted to try Coopers, as had good run with them on 4x4s, road noise is my main worry. Has anyone experienced them on a passenger vehicle??

Thanks
    Geoff
    My other car need tyres replaced every 15-20k...@$500 a pop
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Users Country Flag
    Hi Guys

Thanks
    Geoff
    Hi Geoff,

Nice vehicle you got their mate!!!

From what I can decipher from your thread is that you have a 2yr Tiguan 140TDI with original 20" wheels.
    It appears (unless you can mention otherwise) that you have not completed a basic rotation / wheel alignment (based on 1.5mm on the fronts).
    I assume you have 30,000kms on the car / tyres (as per the service) or do you only have 8,000kms on the tyres for example?
    VW Scheduled Service is 12mths or 15,000kms (whichever comes first).
    You might wish to check your tyre placard and see if a "V" speed rated tyre is suitable for your Tiguan, it may not be...

If however if you have reached 30,000km plus on the original tyres (Pirelli's is suspect) you have actually done fairly well!!!

I can only assume your previous Honda Accords and Subaru Liberty most likely had 16" or 17" wheels at the most...
    No real comparison to the 20" wheels / tyre combo on your Tiguan.

P.S. based on 1.5mm tread, they are now un-roadworthy. So for the sake of you and your family (and other road users), do something quickly...maybe put the rears on the front and grab two tyres for the rear???

But hey, let us know how you go!!!
    Last edited by ope126; 04-03-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the reply ope126

The wheels were rotated at 15 K service.
    The wear is even across all tires with no indication of needing an alignment.
    The tire wear is 1.5mm till wear indicators are reached.
    Tires are Continental. Local tire dealer said 30+Ks is good for Contisportcontact tires
    All tires on Tiguan placard are V rated.
    When I purchased Tiguan R the only tire available was the 255/40R20. I now wish to move to a higher profile tire for a better ride and cheaper to operate.
    I am otherwise very happy with the Tiguan.

Geoff

5000kms is usually the recommendation for rotation intervals.

Keep your pressures up, to maximise tyre life, as well as rotating. The fronts especially. I’d go 46/43 as a start with yours.

I have an allspace 140tdi- so even heavier than you! It came with 235/50/19. I ran them at 46/44 and the fronts still wore a bit on the outsides in 5000kms.

I’m on 225/65/17 now, and run them at 43/40.

Higher pressures mean less outside edge wear.

Frequent highway driving also means more wear on the left front tyre. So diagonally swapping them (if not directional) is better again for maximising life)

Ps- put your best tyres on the front. For a while a school of thought was have the tears as your best, so you don’t spin out of control. Its been reversed again though(thankfully)

It’s really hard to drive in such a way that this(bad rears vs fronts) is the initial cause of an accident.
    It’s normally a sudden swerve(veered onto the dirt shoulder of the road and then over-correcting) or understeer from entering a corner too fast, or applying too much lock. All things the tyres ‘balance’ don’t have a real impact on.
    Understeer is more common, hence the ‘front’ bias. The tyres that steer should have the most grip for public roads.
    Not many cars are made with rear weight bias, not even 50/50.

A heavy car will wear them faster than a lighter car. You look like you’re gonna get 33k and about 45-50k on yours(if you go to the absolute limits) that’s solid!

If you never brake or corner, then not ideal.

My Mazda 6 had contisportcontact 5’s on it. I must’ve got a bad batch, as I wore a set of rears from 95% to the markers in ONE trip to Newcastle, from adelaide. 1600kms!!!

4 adults in the car(300kg total), 44psi (225/45/19) and one suitcase(35kg) of luggage.

It took a lot of comms with continental to get them to replace those two tyres.

The next set lasted fine. Including the same trip again! I got 15000km total from that set(original fronts were just near the limit at 15000, the 2 rears still had about 1.0mm legal life left)

With my driving at the time, I was content with 15000kms. Lots of windy roads and lots of braking. Also a weighty, diesel car- but lighter than a tig/allspace)

I think you've done pretty well. I did alot of country driving last year and a set of Continental Contisport 5s lasted about 25-30k km. I've just changed over to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as reviews suggest better feedback, performance and longer wear compared to the Contisports.

Overall Contisport 5s and 6s don't last long but have fantastic performance wet or dry.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

This is why there may well be a few sets of Suzuka rims coming up for sale when people go to price up a replacement set of tyres.

You've got to feel a little sorry for those X5 owners running 285/35R21 (front) and 325/30R21 (rear). They look great you'd want to trade it in before changing a set of them! And you can't even change them front to back as they're a staggered set - similar to quite a few other Euro brands (Mercedes run staggered wheels quite a bit also).
    Last edited by tigger73; 04-03-2019 at 09:20 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I just went through this exact same feeling
    Just replaced all tyres on the tig, 34,000 kms on the conti’s and thought that I should have got more mileage. 2 different shops said that I had done well for that size tyre on that kind of car. Anything over 20-25k is a bonus.

Went with the pirelli scorpion this time so will see how we go.

I also only had rotated at 15,000 and then nothing till change so I might try the rotation at I think at each 7,500 as they suggested.

But also the contis are a very sticky tyre so can’t imagine them to last forever.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Guys

Thanks
    Geoff
    If you change from 20" Tyres to 18" Tyres do you need to buy new rims or can you fit 18" Tyres on the 20" Rim ?

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    If you change from 20" Tyres to 18" Tyres do you need to buy new rims or can you fit 18" Tyres on the 20" Rim ?
    New rims and tyres... so it'll probably cost you more in the short-term.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast