Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyre wear on Tiguan 140TDI R 20 inch wheels.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hey opel
    I have always regarded tread depth as rubber above the wear blocks as anything below the wear blocks is not legally usable, sorry if I was not clear.
    All tyres on the Tiguan tyre placard from 17 to 20 inch are V rated.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    You will find that those conti’s aren’t the ones that are SUV rated, being the 5p
    ContiSportContact(R) 5 P

You actually need the sport contact 5 which are SUV rated to really replace the ones that are on there from factory I beleive
    ContiSportContact(R) 5

Don’t know how much difference it actually makes but you never know but another reason why I went the scorpions over the contis this time around because there was a bit of a wait on the ‘5’ but they were trying to sell me the ‘5p’ which I wasn’t overly comfortable using
    I don't think there's such a thing as an SUV "rating" the speed & load ratings are against a known datum and treadwear rating is standardised within the manufacturer. Sure, a tyre might be aimed towards SUVs in terms of tread pattern and chemical makeup but there's no reason it is exclusive to SUVs or vice-versa.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hey opel
    I have always regarded tread depth as rubber above the wear blocks as anything below the wear blocks is not legally usable, sorry if I was not clear.
    It's measured down to the bottom of the valley if you are doing a faulty tyre claim.

The Audi rims have a Bore of 66.5mm and VW has a hub size of 57.1mm. A Hub Centric ring is required on each wheel to easily centre the wheel when mounting on the hub. These are available on eBay.
    I have some 66.5-57.1 hubcentric spacers I don't need. You can have them cheap if you need some.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

I have some 66.5-57.1 hubcentric spacers I don't need. You can have them cheap if you need some.
    Thanks for the offer Brad.

I have ordered some from eBay.
    Last edited by tigger73; 09-03-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Tyre wear on Tiguan 140TDI R 20 inch wheels.-tiggy-new-wheels-jpg

Picture of Tiggy on Audi Q5 17x 8 inch rims. Tyres are 235/65 R17. The tyres are marked SUV, from what I can read on the web it can mean stronger sidewall sometimes. I cannot find a standard for SUV tyres. Most Tiggies would run on passenger tyres as very few would be used for high performance or 4x4 driving.
    Last edited by GJM; 08-03-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    If you change from 20" Tyres to 18" Tyres do you need to buy new rims or can you fit 18" Tyres on the 20" Rim ?
    Can you get your size 10 feet into size 8 shoes
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Tyre wear on Tiguan 140TDI R 20 inch wheels.-tiggy-new-wheels-jpg

Picture of Tiggy on Audi Q5 17x 8 inch rims. Tyres are 235/65 R17. The tyres are marked SUV, from what I can read on the web it can mean stronger sidewall sometimes. I cannot find a standard for SUV tyres. Most Tiggies would run on passenger tyres as very few would be used for high performance or 4x4 driving.
    Tiguan shape is not suited to rims this small. 20's or above are needed to fill out the guards
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Users Country Flag
    I just did some quick looking for alternate sizes which may work - such as 245/45-20. Plenty of tyres in that size, with decent brands etc I’m the low 300’s per tyre.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    The outside diameter of the tyre is unchanged so the guard filling is no different

Users Country Flag

I think I'm up for some new tyres (the front ones at least are looking a bit worn). Any recommendations on 20inch tyres to suit the Suzukas? I've had continentals before on my Jetta and found them quite good, although they tend to wear a bit quicker/quite soft?

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast