Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI

IggyPopTiggy Guest

Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI

Hi all,

I'm about to place an order but there is one thing that's unclear to me at the moment.

I've read on the forum that the only difference between 132 TSI and 162 TSI engines is the different state of tune.

Does it mean they are mechanically absolutely identical? No reinforced internals or other components etc etc.

I'm looking at just the engine, and its potential for tuning at this point. The idea would be to go for the 132 TSI and wait for warranty to run out, then modify.

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, and my lack of knowledge of VW engines!

Yes this was certainly the case for the first generation Tiguan and I'm almost certain that this will be similar for the second gen Tig.

I strongly suspect that the 132TSI is just a detuned version of the 162TSI. When you put a stage 1 tune on both engines you'll likely end up at the same place.

However for the first 3 years of ownership you'll be driving around a faster car if you get the 162TSI

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Yep spot on, they have the same ceiling, just the 132 gains more getting there.

You can find yourself a multichannel piggyback during warranty period, and take it off each service, leaves zero trace on the ECU, they are just a more linear tune, with much less overall "resolution" and low down response. Does the insanely cheap Berger do one?
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    I too was waiting for 3 years...long wait..haha
    Current - 2015 Tiguan 155 R-Line.
    Previous - Jetta MkV 147 Turbo, Viezu Raceday mapped, Carbonio CAI, Quad Exhaust System, R8 Coil pack, Whiteline Swaybar, GTi Steering wheel with paddles, Alloy pedals, RNS510 & Leather.

Users Country Flag
    Just a question on this - if the engines are the same between the 132TSI and 162TSI, what would account for the extra 37KG between those two models? They're both highlines, so just wondering where the weight would come from apart from the engine? Legitimate question - this stuff is a bit over my head.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by Gladbach View Post
    Just a question on this - if the engines are the same between the 132TSI and 162TSI, what would account for the extra 37KG between those two models? They're both highlines, so just wondering where the weight would come from apart from the engine? Legitimate question - this stuff is a bit over my head.
    162TSI is Highline vs 132TSI is Comfortline

Main weight differences are electric leather seats, a bunch of extra trims, power folding mirrors, 18's instead of 17's and an electric tailgate. I suspect there's an extra 10kg+ alone in the electric tailgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladbach View Post
    Larger rims on the Highline and the leather upholstery would add to the weight.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Yep spot on, they have the same ceiling, just the 132 gains more getting there.

You can find yourself a multichannel piggyback during warranty period, and take it off each service, leaves zero trace on the ECU, they are just a more linear tune, with much less overall "resolution" and low down response. Does the insanely cheap Berger do one?
    Just in relation to this, can't VW tell that if you have piggy back tune on the engine by looking at O2 emissions and fuel ratings what not? Doesn't a piggy essentially trick the engine to thinking there is no ECU and it takes a while for the ECU to calibrate to the piggy back device. Thus if you take into a VW dealer and they conduct a diagnosis they will see somethings not right?
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    162TSI is Highline vs 132TSI is Comfortline

Main weight differences are electric leather seats, a bunch of extra trims, power folding mirrors, 18's instead of 17's and an electric tailgate. I suspect there's an extra 10kg+ alone in the electric tailgate.
    Yeah, my bad, I forgot that the 132TSI was a Comfortline. That all makes sense.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by Bassik View Post
    Just in relation to this, can't VW tell that if you have piggy back tune on the engine by looking at O2 emissions and fuel ratings what not? Doesn't a piggy essentially trick the engine to thinking there is no ECU and it takes a while for the ECU to calibrate to the piggy back device. Thus if you take into a VW dealer and they conduct a diagnosis they will see somethings not right?
    The answer to this is yes there's no "undetectable" power increase as there's stored parameters for maximum power, boost, etc. So even though you might not have changed the software in your ECU, you've still run your car outside manufacturers specs and in the end this can be enough to void your warranty.

It just depends how deep the dealer looks, and also how far VW goes with their diagnostic system which your car will no doubt get hooked up to if you have a warranty claim on your engine/drivetrain.

Some people will wait until their warranty expires to modify, however there is essentially no difference if you break your car under warranty or out of warranty - your car is still broken and needs to get fixed.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast