Thread: Fog Light replacement

Users Country Flag

Fog Light replacement

I know there's probably a thread on this already, but I searched and couldn't find something, so posting.

I'm keen to replace the halogen globes in the fog lights with something brighter.

I like the thought of these how they can switch between a yellow and white colour: Ultinon Essential Dual CCT UE fog light bulb 11366UEDX2 | Philips

has anyone swapped out their fog lights and did you get canbus errors and did you need a canbus unit to run error free?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mr black View Post
    I know there's probably a thread on this already, but I searched and couldn't find something, so posting.

I'm keen to replace the halogen globes in the fog lights with something brighter.

I like the thought of these how they can switch between a yellow and white colour: Ultinon Essential Dual CCT UE fog light bulb 11366UEDX2 | Philips

has anyone swapped out their fog lights and did you get canbus errors and did you need a canbus unit to run error free?

Thanks
    As fogs are illegal to run unless its foggy or very bad vision its hardly worth the work. They are not a focused light and making them brighter will only dazzle oncoming drivers worse. They are set at the light output they have which is probably optimum for what they are made for Brighter will only reflect back more from fog. In QLD they are commonly known as WANKER lights cos only them have them on
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I was searching for similar and found LED FOG LIGHT | VW Tiguan Forum - an aftermarket bulb set that did not need coding from what this post says (have not tried them myself). they provide both white and yellow, so fog lights and driving lights in one. can be switched easily by the sounds. Seems like they’d provide improved visibility in both cases.
    May 20 - Nov 19 MY20 Tiguan 162 TSI
    May 16 - Apr 16 Mazda 3 Sp25 GT - 2020 hail storm write-off
    May 13 - 2013 Mk7 Golf Highline.
    May 10 - 2009 Falcon G6E with beige leather.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nauend View Post
    I was searching for similar and found LED FOG LIGHT | VW Tiguan Forum - an aftermarket bulb set that did not need coding from what this post says (have not tried them myself). they provide both white and yellow, so fog lights and driving lights in one. can be switched easily by the sounds. Seems like they’d provide improved visibility in both cases.
    Sweet. Thanks!

Just reporting back that the Philips globes (Ultinon Essential Dual CCT UE fog light bulb 11366UEDX2 | Philips) work without any errors. The yellow in particular looks really good, but will need to wait until next time I'm driving in fog to see how they actually perform

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mr black View Post
    Just reporting back that the Philips globes (Ultinon Essential Dual CCT UE fog light bulb 11366UEDX2 | Philips) work without any errors. The yellow in particular looks really good, but will need to wait until next time I'm driving in fog to see how they actually perform
    Wow, that sounds like an easy way for some impressive looks. Any photos?
    May 20 - Nov 19 MY20 Tiguan 162 TSI
    May 16 - Apr 16 Mazda 3 Sp25 GT - 2020 hail storm write-off
    May 13 - 2013 Mk7 Golf Highline.
    May 10 - 2009 Falcon G6E with beige leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauend View Post
    Wow, that sounds like an easy way for some impressive looks. Any photos?
    I haven’t taken any photos yet but I have had a play with them at night. They aren’t much brighter than the stock globes so I don’t think you will have any issues blinding oncoming drivings. If you are after a flood or spot light look elsewhere as these are truely fog lights.

The white colour is really nice, looks modern and matches led headlights. I notice it fills out the space below the low beam a bit but doesn’t do anything for distance.

The yellow actually seems a little brighter than the white. This might be an illusion, but I can’t help but think they will be better in fog than the stock halogens, but I haven’t tested it yet.

The install was easy expect for removing the fairing surrounding the fog light to get access (instructions are in the owners manual). It took quite a bit of strength to pull off the fairing.

I’ll add that I choose the Philips over the Alla lighting globes, pretty much because the Philips you need to turn off and on twice to change the colour however with the Alla it sounds like it’s only once. I was worried that this would cause the corner light function to change the light colour all the time.

From what I have tried so far the Philips don’t seem to have any issues, but I haven’t driven a lot of night yet since I have fitted them.

I think they Alla lights would likely be brighter.