Thread: Trailer Assist VCDS/OBD 11 - Camera Obstructed

Users Country Flag

Question Trailer Assist VCDS/OBD 11 - Camera Obstructed

Hi everyone

I had a VW genuine tow ball and module installed late last year. I activated trailer assist shortly after having it installed but didn't get an opportunity to test it until now.

When I connect a trailer to the car and select the reverse gear I'm prompted to select park assist to engage the trailer assist functionality. When I press the park assist button I see the control instructions on my AID only briefly followed by an error saying "Steering intervention stopped - camera obstructed".

I followed the below instructions.

Enable Trailer Assist
    Enables ‘Trailer Assist’ option under the headunit settings.

Select Park Assist Module (76)
    Coding
    Byte 0, Tick Bit 3

Select Instruments Module
    Coding
    Byte 12, Tick Bit 5

Select Reversing Camera Module
    Coding
    Byte 10, Tick Bit 3
    I had a search of the forum and saw some other members who had the same issue but there's no mention of their fix, if the issue was ever fixed.

For those of you with a Mk2 Tiguan, have you had any success activating trailer assist?

MY19.5 Tiguan Highline/R-Line with Sound & Vision.

Cheers
    MY19.5 Tiguan Highline with R-Line & Sound/Vision

Users Country Flag
    I have the same issue Trailer Assist VCDS/OBD 11 - Camera ObstructedTrailer Assist VCDS/OBD 11 - Camera Obstructed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    phonebooth : Hi

hmm........ I'm guessing of course, but I suspect that in addition to the changes that you have already made, you need to tell the MIB (the module @ address hex5F) to start operating the trailer-assist function (which is disabled as the default factory setting):

Maybe try this on the hex5F module:
    • ENG122227-ENG122319-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_trailer_assistant_after_disclaimer > active
    • ENG122227-ENG122317-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_trailer_assistant_over_threshold_high > active
    • * (see note below) ENG122227-ENG122315-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2menu_display_trailer_ assistant > active

* = I'm not certain about this channel - try without this change first and add later if needed

I've included the channel names as identified by VCDS - if you use OBDeleven, ignore the leading "Tag numbers"
    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 18-09-2022 at 07:36 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi DV52

Thanks so much for your response. I've seen these adaption channels mentioned elsewhere but some others have mentioned they don't require activation.

I'll attempt to activate these tonight then I'll report back.
    MY19.5 Tiguan Highline with R-Line & Sound/Vision

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by phonebooth View Post
    Hi DV52

Thanks so much for your response. I've seen these adaption channels mentioned elsewhere but some others have mentioned they don't require activation.

I'll attempt to activate these tonight then I'll report back.
    Any luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I tried last night then forgot to update this thread.

Unfortunately, no luck. Those three options still result in the camera obstructed error.

Something to note:

When selecting trailer assist I receive the camera obstructed error followed by “Rear traffic alert unavailable”. If I don’t select trailer assist while in reverse I don’t receive that alert.