Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Tow Bar for the Tiguan

The factory installed Tow Bar is $2000!

Those of you that have a tow bar, did you get the factory one or a generic one?

Hayman Reese do a good tow bar, but I cant see it for this 2017 Tiguan.

Hayman Reese - Online Catalogue - hayman reese

ARB in Geelong fitted a Hayman Reece to my 2013 Tiguan for $1044. Good looking unit and have had no issues with it.

Don't know the situation with 2017 Tiguan, but at the time they were a lot cheaper than VW's.

Dor factory unit Double check what trailer socket is included as the factory harness in the past has been a 13 pin Euro which means an adaptor will be further required to go to Aus standard 7 pin flat/round

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tow Bar for the Tiguan-20170204_231819-jpg   Tow Bar for the Tiguan-20170204_231754-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Check out the Westfalia, completely out of sight with gooseneck removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hole46 View Post
    Check out the Westfalia, completely out of sight with gooseneck removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1

The Westfalia is a far better bar for a cheaper price. They are the OEM bar for VAG vehicles in Europe, so if you bought a Tig locally in Germany and asked for a factory tow bar, that's what you would get.

They're a work of engineering art, designed for the vehicle from the get go and are completely invisible once you remove the gooseneck. I understand some Tigs already have the cutout under the bumper from the factory ready for this bar. As opposed to some square cross section bar that will require half you bumper to be cut away and will always be a visible scar on the back of you car.

Go with the bar the car is designed for, not some half thought out box girder that gives the dealer the largest margin.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I like the sound of the Westfalia.

Is this the one?

TIGUAN | Towbars Australia

I'm a bit worried about DIY on a new car!!!

Is it really easy for a non handyman?

IS there anyone that you can recommend in Adelaide that will supply and install it?

Quote Originally Posted by marcuskmt View Post
    I like the sound of the Westfalia.

Is this the one?

TIGUAN | Towbars Australia

I'm a bit worried about DIY on a new car!!!

Is it really easy for a non handyman?

IS there anyone that you can recommend in Adelaide that will supply and install it?
    It certainly looks like it, but as the note says the actual bar may differ from the one shown in the photo.

I installed mine, and it wasn't difficult to actually attach the bar. The problem came when I tried to code all of the modules. Major PITA. Managed to achieve it with a lot of help from Westfalia in Germany and Australia and the people at Ross-Tech who make the VCDS cable. For that reason alone it's probably worth getting someone to fit and code it for you.

Give Westfalia head office in Melbourne a call and ask them who their reps are in Adelaide (03) 9466 7941.

Users Country Flag
    Interesting I just stumbled across this R Line for sale over here in NZ that apparently has the factory fitted swivel tow bar fitted:

Volkswagen Tiguan 4WD TSI R Line 2017 | Trade Me

When I originally enquired about having this on my car when I ordered I was told it wasn't available here in NZ, they fit an aftermarket one that comes through the bumper like you get over there. It is also mentioned in the listing that it was a $1500 option while the aftermarket one my dealer quoted me was going to be $2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_GolfR View Post
    Interesting I just stumbled across this R Line for sale over here in NZ that apparently has the factory fitted swivel tow bar fitted:

When I originally enquired about having this on my car when I ordered I was told it wasn't available here in NZ, they fit an aftermarket one that comes through the bumper like you get over there. It is also mentioned in the listing that it was a $1500 option while the aftermarket one my dealer quoted me was going to be $2000.

Westfalia make the swivel tow bar for factory fitment in Europe. Westfalia NZ may fit them locally for you. Our nanny state Australian Standards Association won't allow them to be fitted legally in Australia. NZ is probably a bit more realistic. If it's legal in Europe why shouldn't be legal everywhere.

Call your local Westfalia rep see if they can fit it for you locally. Don't fit a local VW factory bar. They're crap by comparison.
    Last edited by IsDon; 06-03-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_GolfR View Post

Argh, they told me it can't be had in NZ because of a different ball size... (no pun intended)

I sent Westfalia New Zealand an email yesterday morning, they haven't responded (yet).

VW Tiguan R-line 162kw, Tungsten Silver Metallic, Titanium Black-Crystal Gray.
    ACC, DCC, AID, HUD, DAP, ALS, LED, DSG, TSI, LOL

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast