Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
    Well exactly why I think the prices are excessive and thinking I'll do it myself.

The Westfalia kit I'm seeing is $995 for the towbar and $495 for the wiring harness/tow module.

What is the $1135? Including generic wiring kit I assume?

Thanks
    Somewhere on here is a step by step guide for fitting one on a Tiguan

REPLY 243 is the place to look
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 25-04-2022 at 07:26 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Somewhere on here is a step by step guide for fitting one on a Tiguan
    Thanks, yeah I saw that somewhere. Will have another look once I get the kit.

Users Country Flag
    Well I managed to find an installer here on the Gold Coast and had the tow bar fitted last week.

It's a Hayman Reese and $1308 all up, from Brians at Miami. Most people living on the south side would know Brians discount servo!

I only managed to find a trailer yesterday, up in Brisbane, and towed it home with all seeming to be fine.

Thanks, yeah I saw that somewhere. Will have another look once I get the kit.
    So i ended up getting the bestbar dealer fitted. All up $1955. Just didnt have the time to do it myself, and the Westfalia supply of bar and tow module was quoted at $1600 and still needed to find someone to code it.

What was interesting is that the part number was 5NA092136C whereas everywhere else on this thread there is no C in the part number. This towbar still has the 100kg towball download limit on it, but i think all Mk2 Tiguans should be good for 200kg right?

Mine also has a small bumper cut. But what was also interesting is that i was given a loan car when i dropped my car off, also a Tiguan, with a towbar on it. That loan car had the towbar part number of 5NA092136A and that towbar was fitted with no bumper cut and a 200kg towball download limit.

Anyone know the difference or have come across that?

So i ended up getting the bestbar dealer fitted. All up $1955. Just didnt have the time to do it myself, and the Westfalia supply of bar and tow module was quoted at $1600 and still needed to find someone to code it.

What was interesting is that the part number was 5NA092136C whereas everywhere else on this thread there is no C in the part number. This towbar still has the 100kg towball download limit on it, but i think all Mk2 Tiguans should be good for 200kg right?

Mine also has a small bumper cut. But what was also interesting is that i was given a loan car when i dropped my car off, also a Tiguan, with a towbar on it. That loan car had the towbar part number of 5NA092136A and that towbar was fitted with no bumper cut and a 200kg towball download limit.

Anyone know the difference or have come across that?
    Suffix letters to a part number generally indicate what is known as a supercession so B would have superceded A for whatever reason. It could indicate a supply chain change, technical change etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Suffix letters to a part number generally indicate what is known as a supercession so B would have superceded A for whatever reason. It could indicate a supply chain change, technical change etc.
    Thanks. Which means the retrospec update of the towball download rating should not affect which version A or C towbar because presumably the same spec would be required to satisfy VW spec regardless of supplier or manufacturer?

Users Country Flag
    Thanks. Which means the retrospec update of the towball download rating should not affect which version A or C towbar because presumably the same spec would be required to satisfy VW spec regardless of supplier or manufacturer?
    To be quite clear. The towball rating of any vehicle is set by the manufacturer NOT the towbar maker. So if your vehicle is rated at whatever by VW thats what it is. Some were given a new rating by VW but you would have to check as if you exceed whats on the VEHICLES sticker and have problems your insurance could be void. Vw were handing out revised stickers to some owners a while ago.

A classic example was 1995 Toyota LandCruisers were rated at 2500kg towing limit.. 1996 model which was basically identical was rated at 3500kg. The 3500kg rated towbars at the time fitted either vehicle but Toyota refused to uprate the 95 model. Caused a stink at the time but they wouldnt relent. Even if a towbar has a towball rating higher than the vehicle , the vehicle limit is the limit.

Also Tiguans have varying tow limits depending on the tugs loading so go to the back of your handbook and look it up as you may only be able to tow a lunchbox if you have 5 people and a boot full of luggage

A 2500kg limit is only for an empty one or with one passenger.

Allspaces are different and dont forget the ball weight is part of the payload and must be accounted for within GVM
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 21-05-2022 at 06:19 PM.

To be quite clear. The towball rating of any vehicle is set by the manufacturer NOT the towbar maker. So if your vehicle is rated at whatever by VW thats what it is. Some were given a new rating by VW but you would have to check as if you exceed whats on the VEHICLES sticker and have problems your insurance could be void. Vw were handing out revised stickers to some owners a while ago.

A classic example was 1995 Toyota LandCruisers were rated at 2500kg towing limit.. 1996 model which was basically identical was rated at 3500kg. The 3500kg rated towbars at the time fitted either vehicle but Toyota refused to uprate the 95 model. Caused a stink at the time but they wouldnt relent. Even if a towbar has a towball rating higher than the vehicle , the vehicle limit is the limit.

Also Tiguans have varying tow limits depending on the tugs loading so go to the back of your handbook and look it up as you may only be able to tow a lunchbox if you have 5 people and a boot full of luggage

A 2500kg limit is only for an empty one or with one passenger.

Allspaces are different and dont forget the ball weight is part of the payload and must be accounted for within GVM
    Thanks @Hillbilly for taking the time to type this up. Have asked VW Australia for any updated limits. In fact the owners handbook does not have any data relating to towball download limits and there was no supplement included relating to that. Only has the towing capacity limits, GVM, GCM and axle weights.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks @Hillbilly for taking the time to type this up. Have asked VW Australia for any updated limits. In fact the owners handbook does not have any data relating to towball download limits and there was no supplement included relating to that. Only has the towing capacity limits, GVM, GCM and axle weights.
    All the answers are here from the rear of my handbook 22/11/2019 Built Rline

Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help

All the answers are here from the rear of my handbook 22/11/2019 Built Rline

Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help
    Awesome! Thanks for that, that's a lot of information that mine was missing altogether.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast