Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by marcuskmt View Post
    Didnt that happen two years ago?.
    I don’t know, but Westfalia got back to me. Their “partner” in Oz is Home - AUTOPACIFIC Group
    I’ll call them tomorrow.

Users Country Flag
    Autopacific Group will only supply Westfalia towbars to dealers. I will get a quote from VW and report back.

Users Country Flag
    You can buy Westfalia towbars from here and they have agents country wide

VW Tiguan Towbar - Detachable OEM Westfalia - Australia Tow Bars & Performance store

Have been able to get them there for at least 4 years
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-04-2022 at 01:28 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Hillbilly. I actually have a Passat. I posted here because it seemed like the most comprehensive towbar thread on the forum. Those guys sell the Brink brand towbar for my model car:

Volkswagen CC Passat Detachable Towbar kit BRINK - Australia Tow Bars & Performance store

I got a quote of $1550 fitted.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by drsmithy View Post
    From reading through this, and talking to a couple of dealers, it seems the standard VW towbar kit includes a flat 7-pin adapter.

Looking at the installation instructions, it's clear that this is just converting from a standard 13-pin euro plug coming out of the car that's mounted up behind the towbar.

Is it therefore safe for me to assume that this 7-pin flat plug could be replaced with a 12-pin flat plug if required, converting directly from the 13-pin plug hidden behind the bar? Ie: replacing the existing 13 -> 7 converter, not going 13 -> 7 -> 12 ?

Has anyone done this ? Or is the 13-pin socket mounted behind the bar reasonable accessible (without removing the bumper) ?

As an aside, if anyone wants a recent price for the VW towbar kit, I was originally quoted $3,000 from my local VW dealer (Indooroopilly), but then only about $1,800 from two other dealers (Norris & Mt Gravatt) when I cross-checked. After querying the original quote from Indro they have subsequently also quoted about $1,800. (All prices installed.)

The Westfalia quote I have is about $2,500, and while it's nicer and neater engineering, I'm still undecided whether it's worth the extra, especially since I'll need to drive up to Maroochydore for the day.
    Did you by any chance get a written quote sent to you? I have been getting quotes around $3000 and when I tell them it's around $1800 they say show me the quote and won't budge.

Thanks

Did the dealers who quoted $1800 provide written quotes? I'm struggling to get dealers here to get anywhere near that price. Started at $3000, and lowest is $2310.

Quote Originally Posted by drsmithy View Post
    From reading through this, and talking to a couple of dealers, it seems the standard VW towbar kit includes a flat 7-pin adapter.

Looking at the installation instructions, it's clear that this is just converting from a standard 13-pin euro plug coming out of the car that's mounted up behind the towbar.

Is it therefore safe for me to assume that this 7-pin flat plug could be replaced with a 12-pin flat plug if required, converting directly from the 13-pin plug hidden behind the bar? Ie: replacing the existing 13 -> 7 converter, not going 13 -> 7 -> 12 ?

Has anyone done this ? Or is the 13-pin socket mounted behind the bar reasonable accessible (without removing the bumper) ?

As an aside, if anyone wants a recent price for the VW towbar kit, I was originally quoted $3,000 from my local VW dealer (Indooroopilly), but then only about $1,800 from two other dealers (Norris & Mt Gravatt) when I cross-checked. After querying the original quote from Indro they have subsequently also quoted about $1,800. (All prices installed.)

The Westfalia quote I have is about $2,500, and while it's nicer and neater engineering, I'm still undecided whether it's worth the extra, especially since I'll need to drive up to Maroochydore for the day.
    Did the dealers who quoted $1800 provide written quotes? I'm struggling to get dealers here to get anywhere near that price. Started at $3000, and lowest is $2310.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
    I'm struggling to get dealers here to get anywhere near that price. Started at $3000…
    The Westfalia towbar kit is $1135 with the 7 pin wiring harness. They want $1865 to fit it?!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jack in oz View Post
    The Westfalia towbar kit is $1135 with the 7 pin wiring harness. They want $1865 to fit it?!
    Eurocarupgrades say it takes 4 1/2 hour to fit one so depends on hourly rate but no where near that.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Eurocarupgrades say it takes 4 1/2 hour to fit one so depends on hourly rate but no where near that.
    Well exactly why I think the prices are excessive and thinking I'll do it myself.

The Westfalia kit I'm seeing is $995 for the towbar and $495 for the wiring harness/tow module.

What is the $1135? Including generic wiring kit I assume?

Thanks

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast