Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Towing

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by veew View Post
    Good news (if a bit premature)! Apparently there is an internal memo from VW going around stating that the Mk2 Tiguan's tow bars will be rated for a downball weight of 200kg. This applies to new vehicles and will also apply retrospectively to ones already sold!

Apparently prospective buyers are being informed of this. Just thought you guys might like to know and also to keep an eye out for a formal memo to post up in the forums.
    Just to be clear on the regs on this It states the towing limit to be what the manufacturer rates the vehicle at or what the towbar is rated at WHICHEVER IS THE LESSER and the towball weight is the VEHICLE manufacturers set limit

As I understand it VW are uprating the towball capacity of the VEHICLE which means that it will only apply to new vehicles.
    Maybe they will make it retrospective but I doubt it. Toyota didnt in the 90's when they upped the 80 series rating from 2500kg to 3500kg but refused to certify older vehicles which were identical. Hayman Recce however recertified their towbars to suit.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    It would be great to get clarification of this uprating and how it will apply
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    I contacted VW Australia and got this repsonse.

"Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Australia.

In regards to your enquiry, it is correct that the MY19 Tiguan has an upgradedtow ball down weight of 200kg. This is also retrospective to Generation 2Tiguan's like yours. In order to meet the new compliance you will need to visita Dealership for the new labels and owner's supplement."
    Tiguan 162TSI R-Line | Tungsten Silver | DAP | MY18

Tiguan Towing

Quote Originally Posted by Chalnoth View Post
    I contacted VW Australia and got this repsonse.

"Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Australia.

In regards to your enquiry, it is correct that the MY19 Tiguan has an upgradedtow ball down weight of 200kg. This is also retrospective to Generation 2Tiguan's like yours. In order to meet the new compliance you will need to visita Dealership for the new labels and owner's supplement."
    I've been told the retrospective increase in towball reading is only applicable to 162TSI models
    Last edited by veew; 04-10-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    I have enquired about tow ball ratings being upgraded, would be nice to have the 200kg on my 08/17 Tig Adventure, but servicing dealer folk in Melbourne do not know about it. I called my previous long-time VW dealers service folk further North, who said that they did have the 200kg rating sticker set.

However they rang back, as they found a VW Australia notice sent just after Christmas ('easily missed' by some he expects) that rescinded earlier advice concerning the 200kg upgrade previously issued! Current Allspace & Tigs remain as specified in the respective Specification Downloads = 100kg. 'Genuine' Best Bars' fitted to mine before delivery.

Ok, that’s confusing. My allspace is stickered as 200kg on the towbar and somewhere else(maybe the booklet?)

Is it now only 100kg?

That doesn’t seem right.

If you have VW documentation showing a 200kg limit send it to VWA for clarification.

I didn’t pay attention to the date of your car, not the ‘upgrade’

Perhaps as my car was released as 200kg ball weight, there is no upgrade to muddy the waters?

Just an idea.

Users Country Flag
    It was a retrospective change - so only an ‘upgrade’ for vehicles which were previously fitted with the lower-rated sticker (I say sticker, because that was the only real change). Anything fitted after the change has the revised rating already
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Got a tow bar installed yesterday to my MY17 132 comfortline at VW and its has a 200KG ball weight. Anyone know where I can get a brake controller installed in north west Sydney?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast