Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Towing

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LaNOS View Post
    Did anyone ever come to a conclusion on this? Is this new 200kg download limit applied retroactively to 2017 tiguans? I'm awaiting a reply from VW Australia myself

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Read the last few pages of your manual or the Aus supplement The weights are in there and afaik they wont make them retrospective just like Toyota wouldnt
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Well good news guys, I got two stickers on their way from my dealership. The guy looked up my VIN number in their system and the towball download rating on the system had been updated to 200kg despite it being a 2017 Tiguan. With that as such I ordered the update compliance stickers!

Any other info

Well good news guys, I got two stickers on their way from my dealership. The guy looked up my VIN number in their system and the towball download rating on the system had been updated to 200kg despite it being a 2017 Tiguan. With that as such I ordered the update compliance stickers!
    Hey Thanos, did the dealer provide you any other information? I am trying to track down and kind of communication that states the variation on the 2017 models as I am interested myself.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by coxy152 View Post
    Hey Thanos, did the dealer provide you any other information? I am trying to track down and kind of communication that states the variation on the 2017 models as I am interested myself.
    Not really other than he had to use my vin number against a parts catalogue. He also checked my towbars part number against the info there and it suggests that it is rated for 200kg download.

Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Looking through my owners manual pouch and noted this in the documentation contained within.
    My documents say 200kg but my VIN placard and towbar placard both still say 100kg...

Attachment 43609

Attachment 43612
    Can you please provide the part number printed on the back page of this document you have posted please?

Hi Lanos,

Did you get the stickers?
    Did it come with a manual also?

If not, then your cars original manual will state 100kg, meaning irrespective of the stickers it’s still 100kg, that’s Australian law (lower of the 2)

If you got a manual or some sort of literature please post the part number so I can order it and not have to sell my car.

I went to Doncaster vw and asked for the sticker set to upgrade my tow ball rating. They gave me a new sticker for the car, towbar and pages for my manual for $9 something. Knew what I was talking about.

Users Country Flag
    Not really other than he had to use my vin number against a parts catalogue. He also checked my towbars part number against the info there and it suggests that it is rated for 200kg download.

It doesnt matter what the towbar is rated at. Its what the manufacturer rates the vehicle for that matters
    EG you can put a 3500kg rated towbar on a 2000kg rated vehicle and you can only tow to 2000kg That is the law.

Also a Tiguan 5 seater has limits according to how many passengers in it at the time of towing. So you cant hook a trailer with 200kg on the ball then put 5 in the car and your luggage and still be legal.

Read the towing supplement that came with your vehicle as that explains the limits, which when applied make the vehicle in some loadings only able to tow a garden trailer Here are the pages from my Nov 2018 build MY19 5 seater
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiguan Towing-tig-towing-1-jpg   Tiguan Towing-tig-towing-jpg  

Last edited by Hillbilly; 05-07-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys, I have a 2019 Tiguan Allspace 162Rline.

Reading through all the post i am starting to understand all the restrictions, especially when passengers are present. What is crazy is that they only reference passengers and not weight. For eg i am wanting to tow a 1300kg camper, with ball weight of 130kg - should be completely fine in theory, however there will be two adults and 3 children under 10 in the car. The 3 children combined would be around 80kg, so similar to an adult... The GCM for my car is 4990, and camper ATM + car TARE is 3429kg, so plenty of room.

In all the literature, there is no mention of what the actual rear axle weight is. I know the car Kerb weight is 1769kg & my max rear axle weight is 1350kg, however failing going to a public weigh bridge, i do not know where i can find the tare rear axle weight.

Can anyone assist?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mrbongosdrums View Post
    Hi guys, I have a 2019 Tiguan Allspace 162Rline.

Reading through all the post i am starting to understand all the restrictions, especially when passengers are present. What is crazy is that they only reference passengers and not weight. For eg i am wanting to tow a 1300kg camper, with ball weight of 130kg - should be completely fine in theory, however there will be two adults and 3 children under 10 in the car. The 3 children combined would be around 80kg, so similar to an adult... The GCM for my car is 4990, and camper ATM + car TARE is 3429kg, so plenty of room.

In all the literature, there is no mention of what the actual rear axle weight is. I know the car Kerb weight is 1769kg & my max rear axle weight is 1350kg, however failing going to a public weigh bridge, i do not know where i can find the tare rear axle weight.

Can anyone assist?
    Why are you worried about a TARE weight Are you going to go away with an empty car. Kerb weight is an anything weight as well Do you actually know what is included in a Kerb weight for a VW Cos I dont .

You are mistaken with your working out weights The correct way is you add the cars GVM (max legal loaded limit and the GTM Max legal limit on the wheels only of the Van

So cars GVM 3200kg vans GTM 1500kg =4700kg as long as total is under your GCM and rear axle weight its all good.

Also dont forget the Towball weight is part of the cars payload and is included in the GVM.

In my case I had a LC 100ser and a 25ft 3000kg van with a ballweight of 300kg Car had 620kg payload
    SO fuel 145l -120kg ballweight 300kg Already at 420 kg Me an Mum 150 kg +570kg leaves 50 kg for anything else in the car.

We were overloaded as had a fridge , a washing machine a box of tools extra spare tyre and usually 20lof diesel and 20L of water in the car

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast