Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan MK2 Roof Racks

Tiguan MK2 Roof Racks

Hey all,

Recently received our new Tiguan Life MY22, and are looking to invest in some roof racks. Looking for some recommendations and good/bad experiences people have had. We aren't looking to go all out on cost, as they would only be for occasional use.

My three main priorities are noise, cost, and future compatibility with other products (ie roof trays/boxes, bike racks etc).

The models I'm currently looking at are:

Thule 7104 Wingbar Evo - Thule 7104 Wingbar Evo Black Roof Racks for VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan, 5dr SUV with Raised Roof Rails 2016 on - Australia's #1 Roof Rack Superstore

Rhino Rack JA2270 - Rhino Rack JA2270 for VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 4dr SUV With Roof Rails 09/16 On - Australia's #1 Roof Rack Superstore

Cruz Airo R - Cruz Airo Dark R Roof Rack for Volkswagen Tiguan with Roof Rails 5 dr SUV 2016 to On - Australia's #1 Roof Rack Superstore

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated!

We went with Prorack Aero bar:

Aero Through Bar Package for Volkswagen Tiguan | Prorack

Definitely quiet and solid, we went the through bars as extra width allowed more load options. I use a drill driver to take on and off (use screw settings so not to over tighten) and get them on/off in 3-5 minutes so they actually do get taken off. Supercheap often has these 40% off if you can wait.

I think all of the options you listed have the same T track and therefore accessories are interchangeable (we use a Thule roof box, Rola kayak carrier, etc).

Users Country Flag
    Interesting... we were going to go with the roof racks listed as VW accessories, but are starting to reconsider our choice in car/brand - if there's indeed going to be months of delays (despite being initially told otherwise).

Users Country Flag
    I went the Thule wing bar on my tig
    Also used slighter shorter bars than recommended as I didn’t like how much the recommended length ones stuck out (pictured below is what I went with)

Tiguan MK2 Roof Racks-e12987f264925e7cec5939c861c74c58-jpg

I didn’t go the evo as I have a sunroof and I also liked the idea of a higher weight rating on the normal Thule rack/bars.

i was all like yeah I’ll just take them off and put them back on when I need to haha yeah right. Fitted them first time and we’ll they are still on there some 7 months later haha
    Last edited by smarty; 20-05-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I like the shorter bars @smarty! Looks awesome. Do you think they would effect the load rating of the rack?

Users Country Flag
    Actually I just spoke to a roof rack store and they said that Thule warranty one size down and one size up from the recommendation so I sized down as well 😊

Users Country Flag
    Na I don’t think they affect the load rating but I’m no expert I guess. I had no issues with my fully loaded Thule rooftop box driving the 600kms it was on.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks!

I just mounted up the same 47” bars. Was a great tip!

One thing that I didn’t realise before is how much the roof rails angle in. The cross bars barely fit at the front, I had to put them on about midway and slide them forward to get them on the rails, however the rear bar has a decent over hang on each side. It’s quite deceptive how much it comes in at the back.

The bars look great. Definitely couldn’t have gone any shorter width or any lower with reasonable clearance for the sunroof.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I went the Thule wing bar on my tig
    Also used slighter shorter bars than recommended
    That is a great idea, thanks for letting us know thats a possibility. Thinking of going the same route for my Passat. Do you know how much shorter they were than the ones recommend on website under 'fit my car'? Thanks

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ACID View Post
    That is a great idea, thanks for letting us know thats a possibility. Thinking of going the same route for my Passat. Do you know how much shorter they were than the ones recommend on website under 'fit my car'? Thanks
    I went one size down. Recommendation for a Tiguan is 50” and I used 47”. It was tight at the front and couldn’t have gone any smaller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast