Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 858

Thread: Tiguan IS38 and Big turbo upgrades

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    453
    Users Country Flag

    Tiguan IS38 and Big turbo upgrades

    Hi all,

    Given the recent IS38 turbo upgrades by a number of the Tiguan mk2 community, I thought to start a thread sharing mods, experiences and issues relating to turbo upgrades. Australia is fast becoming the IS38 Tiguan country of choice.

    Welcome!

    Fast facts (as at 11/12/19)

    5 x IS38 Tigs in VIC (2X APR, UGP 216 kw atw, Etuners 228 kw atw, INASANT Etuners 239kw atw)

    1 x IS38 Tig in NSW (Tunehouse, 185kw atw)

    2 x IS38 Tigs in QLD (Redline Tuning, APR)

    1 x TTE475 Tig SA (E-Tuners Motorsport 240 kw atw mainline dyno)

    1 x L450 Tig in QLD (Redline Tuning 255 kw atw)

    1 x TTE475 Tig in NSW (E-Tuners 240 kw atw 1.7 bar)

    1 x Snail 480 in VIC (E-Tuners Motorsport 265 kw atw - Tiguan all space)

    Summary of OEM IHI IS38 model revisions (used on mk7-7.5 Golf R and S3) that are have been installed on Tiguans:

    -06K 145 874 G
    -06K 145 722 H
    -06K 145 722 T
    -06K 145 874 F
    -06K 145 874 P (new mk7.5 turbo- Actuator similar to IS20)

    With tuning, power of around 400 HP can be achieved.

    OEM IS38 IHI Turbo Charger specifications:

    -6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel
    -45.2 mm Inducer / 58.0 mm Exducer - Compressor
    -47.4 mm Exducer / 54.7 mm Inducer - Turbine

    Summary of IS38 Hybrids that have installed on Tiguans:

    -REVO IS38 ETR (500+ HP)
    -The Turbo Engineers TTE475 (475 HP)
    -Littco L450 (450 HP)
    -Snail Turbo (480 HP)

    List of known turbos that fit the EA888 GEN 3:

    GTI turbo list

    Includes price (usd), compressor/turbine, blade info.

    Supporting parts:
    - Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

    - Intake: APR, Racingline R600 w/ Turbo hose/elbow, BMC / k&n/ RAMAIR filter replacement/snow grate delete/intake modification

    - Flow (APR, VWR, ECS tuning):Turbo inlet, Turbo muffler delete

    - Cooling: Wagner Tiguan Intercooler, Forge and Lava turbo blankets, VWR oil cooler

    - Ignition: RS3 Eldor Plugs, NGK 7437-9, Denso IKH24, OEM RS7

    - Fueling: Autotech HPFP, VIS HPFP (Romania)

    - Handling: Dogbone insert (VWR, APR, 034 motorsports, CTS), Pendulum Mount (APR, note make sure the mount is for a DQ500 MQB transmission).

    - Lowering springs Eibach and H&R.

    - Exhaust (APR,CTS, RD Technik): Downpipe & resonator delete, OEM golf R muffler (fits exhaust hangers, however needs some modification to fit re: remove fake exhausts, need to extend exhaust pipe and tips)

    - Brakes (Alcon 6 piston and DBA T3 378mm discs). Check whether stock master brake cylinder is suitable or needs to be upgraded also.
    Last edited by Melbourne_Tiggy; 11-12-2019 at 08:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    453
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The Tiguan started life as a 162 TSI Highline with R Line pack, tint, DAP and black metallic paint.

    Note, those Suzuka 20Ē wheels with Pirelli Scorpion 255/40 R20 weigh 30kg each, some would argue significant weight to contend with. Anyway, to maintain the sleeper look, the stock wheels remain.

    Mod journey:
    Started the mod journey with an APR stage 1 ECU tune.......

    Then progressed quite quickly to Stage 2.5 (some say stage 3). Current mods include:

    -IHI IS38 turbo (revision H)
    -APR IS38 v1.1 ECU tune w/ pops and bangs (original file)
    -APR IS38 Beta v2 ECU 98 RON tune (updated file)
    -TVS TCU DQ500 MQB Stage 2+ (Boost on LC enabled)
    -Racingline turbo muffler delete
    -Racingline DSG paddles (silver)
    -APR turbo inlet (larger diameter inlet)
    -APR AWD downpipe
    -APR Dog Bone Mount Insert (Version 1)
    -APR DQ500 Pendulum Mount
    -NGK Racing 7437-9 spark plugs (gap 0.024Ē)
    -Eldor RS3 OEM Ignition Coils
    -BMC panel filter
    -RAMAIR intake hose/pipe

    Other mods:
    -DIY: Snow grate removal and air scoop modification to direct more air flow into the airbox like APR intake and R600 (gaffa taped rear left side of intake scoop and cut out the plastic directly infront of the airbox)
    - OBDEleven: Changed digital dashboard to Golf R, removed legal warning on headunit startup, traffic sign assist, high beam assist, Scandinavian rear lights, reverse mirror dip.

    Vbox Performance 0-100km/h
    4.2 seconds (Pre TCU tune)
    4.1 seconds (with TVS TCU tune)

    Future upgrades
    -DBA T3 rotors front and rear
    -EBC Red stuff brake pads front and rear
    -Leyo or Neuspeed boost pipes (charge and intake)
    -Integrated Engineering, Wagner or APR intercooler
    -Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres

    Issues so far
    -Metal rub sound on acceleration (resolved: tightened a loose exhaust clamp and used permatex exhaust and muffler sealant for the cat and midpipe joins)
    -CEL P0137 Low voltage O2 sensor (resolved: installed a Vibrant J spacer and cleaned O2 sensor)
    -CEL P2270 O2 running lean
    (Installed IS38 APR v1.1 ecu tune without the pops and bangs, this did not fix the problem. I bit the bullet and changed to a new O2 sensor, so far so good)
    Last edited by Melbourne_Tiggy; 31-05-2019 at 08:59 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SE Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Tiggy View Post

    DQ500 TCU tune is coming soon.
    Interested to hear about this once you've got it done, who you getting it done through?
    MY17 Tiguan 162 Highline | DAP | Rline | Pano Sunroof | Pure White
    Stage 2.5 - APR DP, APR Turbo inlet, Muffler delete, IS38 Turbo, APR tune

    MY18 Tiguan 162 Highline AllSpace | Sound & Vision | Sunroof | Blue Silk

  4. #4
    pppplllllleeeeeaaassssseeeeeeeeeeeee upload logs

    I love data!

    RPM vs Load (MAP) vs Timing vs IAT (not AAT) vs AFR vs Injection DC vs Vehicle Speed
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2) [Build Thread]

    www.nhbautomotive.com.au

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    453
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTig View Post
    Interested to hear about this once you've got it done, who you getting it done through?
    Hi TheTig, APR doesnít currently offer a TCU tune, however I have been researching several European companies and contacting them for more info. Iíll keep everyone posted when Iíve made a decision.
    Last edited by Melbourne_Tiggy; 15-08-2018 at 07:50 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    453
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    pppplllllleeeeeaaassssseeeeeeeeeeeee upload logs

    I love data!

    RPM vs Load (MAP) vs Timing vs IAT (not AAT) vs AFR vs Injection DC vs Vehicle Speed
    You are a data monster lol.

    If I get a chance to do some logs Iíll post them for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Semaphore, SA
    Posts
    8,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Tiggy View Post
    Hi TheTig, APR doesn’t currently offer a TCU tune, however I have researching several European companies and contacting them for more info. I’ll keep everyone posted when I’ve made a decision.
    Suggest hitting up Simon at RD Technik as they are local and tune the DQ500.

    They will custom tune shift points, increase shift speed, adjust torque limiters and can change launch rpm if you want. They are also the local Dodson Motorsport dealer (aftermarket DSG clutches) and have a Q5 as a daily so know this gearbox/limits better than most.
    Last edited by tigger73; 15-08-2018 at 07:52 AM.

    2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

    2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build



  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Tiggy View Post
    You are a data monster lol.

    If I get a chance to do some logs I’ll post them for you.
    Can use VD to plot data

    Oh yeah, log gear data too, so I know what ratio to use
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2) [Build Thread]

    www.nhbautomotive.com.au

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    689
    Users Country Flag
    Purchased car, got bored with how quiet and non eventful it was after a few weeks...

    Mod journey to date:
    Stage 1
    -Etuners Motorsport stage 1 ECU Tune including pops and crackles in sport mode (could not hear much with stock downpipe)
    -Etuners Motorsport stage 1 DQ500 TCU Tune (4000rpm launch control setting, increased torque limits and shift speed)
    -BMC panel filter
    -Snow grate removed
    -CTS turbo inlet
    -Racingline intake hose/pipe
    - GFB DV+ diverter valve
    - Experimented with aftermarket rear muffler, put stock one back on after 2 days and was too loud and droned all through RPM range.

    Stage 2
    - CTS downpipe and mid pipe and 200 cel CAT
    - 038 motorsport dog bone insert
    - CTS 02 sensor spacer

    Issues so far
    - Downpipe hangers were too long and hitting subframe, trimmed a few mm from the ends.

    - CEL P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. Without CTS 02 sensor spacer would come on after a few hours of driving, after spacer install came on 3-4 days after clearing. New file waiting to be uploaded once I get car back from panel beaters which will hopefully fix.

    - Low throttle rattle at 1500rpm which sounds like turbo actuator arm rattle.

    - High gear high throttle rattle from downpipe. Will be adding permatex exhaust sealer to all joins in dump pipe. Dump pipe should be made with flanges not clamps which would fix this problem.

    Next Updrade
    IS38 DBV2
    Last edited by INASNT; 15-08-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    453
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    Purchased car, got bored with how quiet and non eventful it was after a few weeks...

    Mod journey to date:
    Stage 1
    -Etuners Motorsport stage 1 ECU Tune including pops and crackles in sport mode (could not hear much with stock downpipe)
    -Etuners Motorsport stage 1 DQ500 TCU Tune (4000rpm launch control setting, increased torque limits and shift speed)
    -BMC panel filter
    -Snow grate removed
    -CTS turbo inlet
    -Racingline intake hose/pipe
    - GFB DV+ diverter valve
    - Experimented with aftermarket rear muffler, put stock one back on after 2 days and was too loud and droned all through RPM range.

    Stage 2
    - CTS downpipe and mid pipe and 200 cel CAT
    - 038 motorsport dog bone insert
    - CTS 02 sensor spacer

    Issues so far
    - Downpipe hangers were too long and hitting subframe, trimmed a few mm from the ends.

    - CEL P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. Without CTS 02 sensor spacer would come on after a few hours of driving, after spacer install came on 3-4 days after clearing. New file waiting to be uploaded once I get car back from panel beaters which will hopefully fix.

    - Low throttle rattle at 1500rpm which sounds like turbo actuator arm rattle.

    - High gear high throttle rattle from downpipe. Will be adding permatex exhaust sealer to all joins in dump pipe. Dump pipe should be made with flanges not clamps which would fix this problem.

    Next Updrade
    IS38 DBV2
    That is exciting mate, canít wait for your DBV2 IS38 swap!!!!!!

    We need someone to make a bolt on Tiguan muffler. I saw Remus one that was custom made for a Tiguan in Hong Kong, but this was not available in Australia. If anyone knows of an off the shelf muffler please chime in.

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |