Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan IS38 and Big turbo upgrades

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I think if you were tracking the car then there may be some benefits, however for just short squirts I don't think you would notice any difference.
    I had one on my skyline, which ended up being a track car, did keep under bonnet temps down alot.
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    I had one on my skyline, which ended up being a track car, did keep under bonnet temps down alot.
    I watched video on youtube where they actually did a lab test which should be accurate. You can skip the first 12 minutes and actually see the graph where they say engine actually has some advantage with RPM and generates more torque. It's very interesting, not sure if it's worth spending over 300 dollars though.
    YouTube

By the way if anyone is intersted doing stage 1 with JB4, I've got a brand new one for sale and it's listed on the market place. I'm doing my stage 3 APR tune on Monday so won't need it. Can't wait to drive a powerful car again.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tsameti View Post
    I watched video on youtube where they actually did a lab test which should be accurate. You can skip the first 12 minutes and actually see the graph where they say engine actually has some advantage with RPM and generates more torque. It's very interesting, not sure if it's worth spending over 300 dollars though.
    YouTube

By the way if anyone is intersted doing stage 1 with JB4, I've got a brand new one for sale and it's listed on the market place. I'm doing my stage 3 APR tune on Monday so won't need it. Can't wait to drive a powerful car again.
    Everyday driving down see the real benefit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Entheos View Post
    So, my APR stage 3 is on. Car reflashed from Stage 1 to 3 with new APR dumppipe, APR intercooler, IS38 turbo (Rev F), Racingline R600 CAI, Racingline R600 intake hose, Racingline turbo delete and Racingline high flow turbo inlet. Also put an 034 rear swaybar on too for good measure.

Picked the car up on Friday afternoon and my initial thoughts were . . . . Dear God, what have I down. Lacklustre, laggy, seemed worse that just the Stage 1 - I was really disappointed. Put the car in the garage, turned the TV on, sulked and didn't drive the car all weekend. Didn't know how to justify to my wife where the money had gone. Couldn't justify it myself.

This morning, had to drive a short distance to drop something off and the car felt perkier. Then the CEL came on - brilliant. Rang Vince at North Shore HiTech and took it straight in. We ran some tests and the error code was the turbo waste gate controller solenoid. Did some checks - wouldn't you know it, the connector clip had popped off and the first error had occurred on Friday but the CEL only showed next time the car was started. So no waste gate control - yup that would explain it the awful performance.

Took it out again this afternoon. Holy &*^$(#*(^# - what an animal. Still got the grin on my face.

I was worried about lag with the bigger IS38 as I loved the response of the IS20 - shouldn't have worried. Power delivery is actually smoother than the IS20 with Stage 1 which had a tendency to snap on really hard around 2500rpm which sometimes unsettled the car. No such problem now. Power comes on noticeably from 1500rpm and feels strong as it builds past 300rpm. And wow - what a difference to the top end. The IS20 used to run out of puff after 4500rpm, but now it is still building as the tacho swings past 6000 rpm.

Revised initial impression is that this is a well balanced street car. Sufficiently responsive down low for day to day driving which sufficient top end to make one smile. Its got a nice snarl now when the foot is down, but I also love that it is still nice and quiet when just cruising around. The overrun crackle with the pops and bangs tune is pretty cool too.

Next thing is to get out the dragy and get some times out of it to see what it is actually doing. Hoping for a flat 4s to the 100 / and 12s for the quarter mile with launch control. Will have to take it to the Creek as well to see once restrictions are lifted.

Ecstatic with the performance. Also great having your tuner/mechanic only a few kms away - one of the reasons I decided to stick with APR and not go for a custom tune - the APR tuner is only a suburb away.
    How does that racingline silicone hose fit on the Tiguan? I've yet to find a brand that fits mine and don't want to fork out for anymore unless I can see if they fit properly.

So my APR Stage III was ready and god it's fast. I feel like wheels don't have enought grip in corners.
    I haven't done Dyno tune it's a stock APR III. keen to see how it compares to other tunes. Anyone is willing to test in Melbourne?
    I got a good deal for a second hand APR parts, Full APR intake, APR downpipe and R exhaust. Will be getting rid of the resonator as it's got a drone now.

All upgrades including IS38 turbo cost me just under 7k.

Tiguan IS38 and Big turbo upgrades-20200504_172219-jpg

Users Country Flag
    So my APR Stage III was ready and god it's fast. I feel like wheels don't have enought grip in corners.
    I haven't done Dyno tune it's a stock APR III. keen to see how it compares to other tunes. Anyone is willing to test in Melbourne?
    I got a good deal for a second hand APR parts, Full APR intake, APR downpipe and R exhaust. Will be getting rid of the resonator as it's got a drone now.

All upgrades including IS38 turbo cost me just under 7k.

Tiguan IS38 and Big turbo upgrades-20200504_172219-jpg
    Etuners Motorsport in Dandenong. Then you can compare to my IS38 tune and a few other tigs including Snail IS38 graph.

You will have to pay for the dyno run, wont be for free as they are flat out so they might not have time just for a dyno run.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlad View Post
    How does that racingline silicone hose fit on the Tiguan? I've yet to find a brand that fits mine and don't want to fork out for anymore unless I can see if they fit properly.
    Fits perfectly - no issues.
    2018 VW Tiguan 162 TSI Sportline
    APR Stage 3 ECU tune, TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune, IS38 Rev F turbo, APR intercooler, APR dump pipe, Racingline intake kit & 034 rear swaybar.
    XForce Varex muffler & controller on the way.

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the club! Curious to know what the dyno graph looks like, but ultimately, its how it drives on the road that counts.
    2018 VW Tiguan 162 TSI Sportline
    APR Stage 3 ECU tune, TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune, IS38 Rev F turbo, APR intercooler, APR dump pipe, Racingline intake kit & 034 rear swaybar.
    XForce Varex muffler & controller on the way.

Did my dyno run today
    Kw - 219
    Torque - 474
    Ambient temp 19C
    Petrol - 98 Caltex
    Tiguan IS38 and Big turbo upgrades-sketch1588774137802-jpg

Users Country Flag

Did my dyno run today
    Kw - 219
    Torque - 474
    Ambient temp 19C