Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Higher Flow Air Intake Options

Users Country Flag

And for those who just want to remove the snow grate, I just did it. Took less than 5 minutes, lifted straight out, and didn't even get my hands dirty. I have no way of knowing if that made any difference, but I figured it couldn't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by OZROD View Post
    And for those who just want to remove the snow grate, I just did it. Took less than 5 minutes, lifted straight out, and didn't even get my hands dirty. I have no way of knowing if that made any difference, but I figured it couldn't hurt
    From my testing I think you may get a modest increase. If you also installed a high flow panel filter you’d probably be able to get a measurable difference.

I think the filter element plays a decent part as well as the more direct flow path with the Racingline intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    From my testing I think you may get a modest increase. If you also installed a high flow panel filter you’d probably be able to get a measurable difference.

I think the filter element plays a decent part as well as the more direct flow path with the Racingline intake.

Confirming a moderate increase. Snow grate removal was tested and there was a 3% increase in CFM:

Mk7 GTI Stock Airbox Snow Guard Modification

With a panel filter (AFE in this example) and snow grate removal, there was 5% better flow:

Mk7 GTI panel filter and snow guard modification

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) shows some distinct gains over stock (note APR intake did not provide significant flow increase compared to the panel filter and snow grate removal):

TIP comparison - APR vs panel

APR intake and APR inlet pipe

Turbo Inlet pipe shoot out, Burger Motor Sport and MST with elbow take the lead:

Inlet pipe testing

The elbow gives a boost also....

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Tiggy View Post
    Confirming a moderate increase. Snow grate removal was tested and there was a 3% increase in CFM:

Mk7 GTI Stock Airbox Snow Guard Modification

With a panel filter (AFE in this example) and snow grate removal, there was 5% better flow:

Mk7 GTI panel filter and snow guard modification

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) shows some distinct gains over stock (note APR intake did not provide significant flow increase compared to the panel filter and snow grate removal):

TIP comparison - APR vs panel

APR intake and APR inlet pipe

Turbo Inlet pipe shoot out, Burger Motor Sport and MST with elbow take the lead:

Inlet pipe testing

The elbow gives a boost also....
    All these also increase intake noise alot.. DV+ also gives nice turbo noises when coming off the throttle.

If you really want a loud intake, disconnect the airbox and just have the turbo inletpipe, did this to see how it sounded when installing my intake parts...
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Users Country Flag

Is there a reason you went with racingline as opposed to something else like APR or LEYO?

Quote Originally Posted by PDMJO View Post
    Is there a reason you went with racingline as opposed to something else like APR or LEYO?
    Yes I chose the Racingline intake for a few reasons.

Firstly I wanted a closed intake for low noise as opposed to an open/semi-open pod filter.

Secondly I needed an intake that allowed higher flows. The APR intake is not any better than stock intake with snow grate removal and a high flow panel filter. The Racingline is good for up to 600hp applications which is more than I’ll ever need.

Third I like the fact that it looks OEM finish. If you didn’t know what the stock airbox looked like you’d think it was factory.

Downside it is more expensive.

Users Country Flag
    Yes I chose the Racingline intake for a few reasons.

Firstly I wanted a closed intake for low noise as opposed to an open/semi-open pod filter.

Secondly I needed an intake that allowed higher flows. The APR intake is not any better than stock intake with snow grate removal and a high flow panel filter. The Racingline is good for up to 600hp applications which is more than I’ll ever need.

Third I like the fact that it looks OEM finish. If you didn’t know what the stock airbox looked like you’d think it was factory.

Downside it is more expensive.

Thanks Tigger.

Looking into one for myself currently, but a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choice.

Looking a bit deeper, as much as I like the Racing Line intake - it runs, what appears to be a foam filter.

Are there other products out there that look like OEM but run a cotton pod inside or a larger panel filter? I could get Impossible Fab to make me a custom box, but then it will just look like my jap crap car at home..

I like the whole looks stock look with euros.
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag
    I like the look of the Racingline setup, so much that I'm considering the whole package (R600 intake, silicone hose, highflow turbo inlet, and turbo muffler delete) on my Wolfie, but I've seen reports of the foam filter disintegrating. There's a couple of video's on youtube.

I did find a filter replacement from another company that lets you swap out the foam.
    MST VW-R6 Replacement Air Filter Kit For VW Racing R600

Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    I like the look of the Racingline setup, so much that I'm considering the whole package (R600 intake, silicone hose, highflow turbo inlet, and turbo muffler delete) on my Wolfie, but I've seen reports of the foam filter disintegrating. There's a couple of video's on youtube.

I did find a filter replacement from another company that lets you swap out the foam.
    MST VW-R6 Replacement Air Filter Kit For VW Racing R600
    Nice work! I think I might look at heading down this path when I need to replace the foam filter. And yes I've seen the pics of filters that have disintegrated possibly through over-oiling??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast