Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Exhaust

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    Never had a problem with IS38 and stock rear muffler. Quiet when you want it to be and loud when with a led foot
    I think my problem is specific to my car and is due to the sympathetic vibration in the muffler. Didn't exist prior to the APR dump pipe and don't think it is air flow related as it happens at idle and low revs. I think a prior manufacturing fault has surfaced with the removal of resonator in the dump pipe. Don't think VW is likely to replace it under warranty though .
    2018 VW Tiguan 162 TSI Sportline
    APR Stage 3 ECU tune, TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune, IS38 Rev F turbo, APR intercooler, APR dump pipe, Racingline intake kit & 034 rear swaybar.
    XForce Varex muffler & controller on the way.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Entheos View Post
    Fellow Tiguan owners, I need your advice.

I have APR stage 3 on the car and love it, except for the new exhaust note. The car now sounds like a cross between a try hard boy racer and an obnoxious lawnmower. Its particularly vile when cold which is not helped by a sympathetic buzz between 1K-3K rpm which my mechanic has traced to be in the muffler itself. Drone is negligible when the engine isn’t under load, but gets annoying especially when going up hills on the freeway. My wife, whilst liking the handling and drivability of the car, can't stand the noise. Even I feel somewhat ashamed when driving it up the driveway first thing in the morning - it isn't good.

So, the muffler with its internal buzz has to be replaced. What a shame Tiguan Exhaust. So what do I want? I want an exhaust note that is ice and quiet when pottering around, but don’t want anything that is going to restrict/hamper performance and power, and am very happy for the exhaust to sing when driving spiritedly. So here the options I’ve been leaning towards.

1. Get my hands on an R Mk 7.5 muffler and install. Retain the valve flaps when the tips are extended to suit the Tiguan and control the exhaust flaps ideally be enabling them via ODBEleven Pro (which I have) and sourcing the Golf R exhaust valve harness and plugging into the loom somewhere, or worst case using an AWE switchpath.
    2. Same as above, but use the new Invidia R400 exhaust (Invidia Signature Series R400 Volkswagen Golf R mk7.5 Valved catback Exhaust) – I love the black tips and the review for the exhaust, at least from the Subaru owners, it very positive.
    3. Go with the XForce Varex muffler (https://vwcentral.com.au/xforce-vw-g...st-system.html), put the black tips on (https://vwcentral.com.au/vw-golf-r-m...-4-outlet.html) and control it with the Varex smartbox controller (https://vwcentral.com.au/xforce-vare...ller-1382.html).

So, along with opinions of what people think about the above options, I have other questions too that I’m hoping someone might know an answer to or have a knowledgeable opinion on. They are:

1. Where the heck to do get a half decent R 7.5 muffler from? I’ve been looking at availability for the last few months and have only seen on come up. Is COVID restricting supply? I’ve chased wreckers, exhaust shops, eBay, VW forums, gumtree – there seems to be none around?
    2. Does the resonator before the Golf R muffler actually fit on the Tiguan? I’ve read some posts where those doing the conversion deleted it because it wouldn’t fit. As my mechanic pointed out to me, my Tiguan had its resonator in the centre pipe which is now deleted by the PAR dump pipe. The Golf R has a resonator just before the muffler but the Tiguan does not. I really want some type of resonator before the muffler. If the Golf R doesn't fit, that makes me lean towards the XForce (which has a thin style one) or means I need to modify the APR dump pip, Golf R muffler or Invidia muffler.
    3. Has anyone actually got the Tiguan ECU to control the exhaust valves? I know that Tigger got his hands on the Golf R exhaust valve loom but don’t know if it got installed? What I love about the auto control is that it a) minimizes noise when below 3500rpm when in 4th and above on part throttle, opens the valves automatically on part throttle, and gives better throttle response on part throttle because the closed valves create back pressure which helps the turbo spool more quickly. Whilst turbo response is great in Stage 3 under WOT, it is noticeably worse with the IS38 under part throttle.
    4. If I go for the Invidia muffler, where do I get the exhaust valve control solenoids from apart from a dealer? Haven’t seen these go up for sale on the forums. Does anyone who installed the Golf R muffler and deleted the valve have any? Also, has anyone tried one of these new Invidia R400 exhausts? Whilst expensive, they are cheaper than many alternatives and those black tips look HOT.
    5. If I go the XForce, does anyone know how the exhaust valve works? On the Golf R and other aftermarket exhausts, there is a left and right valve on the outside tailpipe (the inside tailpipe has no valve). On the XForce exhaust, the control valve mechanism is on top of the muffler. So with other exhausts, closing the control valves closes 2 of the 4 pathways out. Im assuming that these muffler designs have greater muffling of these open tailpipes to keep the noise down, and the two tailpipes with the valves are a little less restricted. With the XForce varex, surely closing the valve doesn’t close off all airflow?

1. Lastly, the XForce controller uses Bluetooth from the OBD-II port to the controller to open the valves. Would this be 100% reliable? Would hate to floor it and find that the valve didn’t open because of a Bluetooth connection issue. Wouldn’t CanBus (or LinBus) would be more reliable? (which of course isn't an option with the Varex)

Lots of questions – sorry. Wanting to make the best choice and not really sure what that is. Hence this post as I know there are quite a few out there with far more knowledge than me regarding this!
    Upgraded down pipes force deletion of the resonator as its located dead centre of the chassis.
    Drone will occur as a result of the 3in piping in first gear and to some extent 7th.
    It's nothing compared to the noise and drone that you'll get putting the Golf R muffler on because of its high flow characteristics. Regardless of whether you use the valves.

I've got a CTS downpipe connected to the stock 2.5 piping connected to a Mk7.5 muffler with valves open.
    I'm going to be getting a hot dog style 3in resonator installed where the high flow cat on the DP is, and the CAT will be moved up closer to the engine, because the drone in the back of the cabin is too much when driving around the suburbs around 2,300 to 3000rpm range.
    It's fine on the motorway.
    Cold starts are loud, but they sound better with the R muffler compared to the stock Tiguan one. That sounded horrible. But either way it's still loud and embarrassing.
    Also, driving around multi storey carparks is bad, I have to let the engine pull itself or risk deafening everyone around me.

I'd hate to think what it would sound like if it was 3in piping all the way. Ouch.

Also don't forget that you'll be having to cut the tips off expensive aftermarket cat back systems.

The Golf R quad pipes out the back look sexy as. I know you're taken with the black aftermarket ones but honestly, bang for buck you can't go wrong with the golf muffler.

I bought mine locally after seeing a post on the Tiguan Australia FB page. Cost me $400. Prices will vary and I probably paid top dollar but I'm happy with it. Just keep an eye out, ring tuning shops and wreckers.

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    Upgraded down pipes force deletion of the resonator as its located dead centre of the chassis.
    Drone will occur as a result of the 3in piping in first gear and to some extent 7th.
    It's nothing compared to the noise and drone that you'll get putting the Golf R muffler on because of its high flow characteristics. Regardless of whether you use the valves.

I've got a CTS downpipe connected to the stock 2.5 piping connected to a Mk7.5 muffler with valves open.
    I'm going to be getting a hot dog style 3in resonator installed where the high flow cat on the DP is, and the CAT will be moved up closer to the engine, because the drone in the back of the cabin is too much when driving around the suburbs around 2,300 to 3000rpm range.
    It's fine on the motorway.
    Cold starts are loud, but they sound better with the R muffler compared to the stock Tiguan one. That sounded horrible. But either way it's still loud and embarrassing.
    Also, driving around multi storey carparks is bad, I have to let the engine pull itself or risk deafening everyone around me.

I'd hate to think what it would sound like if it was 3in piping all the way. Ouch.
    Thanks Beedub. I've had full 3" systems on every car I've had since 2003 - never had an issue with noise and drone like I do now. Admittedly they were all Subaru boxer engines, but they flowed lots of air too (WRX with 300kw ATW and Forester with 220kw ATW).

I think at its core my problem is a faulty muffler not being able to cope with the increased air flow and lack of resonator in the current system. At this stage, I'll keep trying to get my hands on a Golf R muffler, will replace the stock resonator which doesn't fit in the Tiguan with a hot dog resonator, and might even look to add an additional hot dog resonator to the APR dump pipe as well like Azza did (Tiguan Exhaust). I'll control the valves with AWE because I can.

If I can't get my hands on a Golf R muffler in the next little while, I'll probably jump at the Varex option - won't put up with the current situation for more than another month or so. There are some deals around, it comes with a resonator which fits the Tiguan, and once again I'd probably put another resonator in the APR dump pipe to keep it as quiet as possible and promote the lower frequencies. Changing tips on this exhaust is also dead easy too. And the Varex auto controls the valves based via ODBII.
    APR Stage 3 ECU tune, TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune, IS38 Rev F turbo, APR intercooler, APR dump pipe, Racingline intake kit & 034 rear swaybar.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    The problem is that the only engine/type of Tiguan available in the US market is the 132TSI B cycle engine in the LWB Tiguan (Locally called Allspace). This is probably not the sportiest of models given the vehicle size/weight and output. Plus they don't have the DSG they get the 8 speed auto which is slower again...

So nobody is going to put an aftermarket exhaust on a car that does 0-100 in 9.1 secs (AWD).
    Ha, I am. That being said the b cycle Tig in Canada is a dog. You folks are lucky you get the GTI engine and a Dsg. But, I've added a neuspeed Power Module so it's close to your engine minus the better transmission and tuners are actually working on something for this engine so I'm hopeful. That being said, can't stand fake exhaust so the golf r muffler I picked up for 150 bucks is worth the try. I'll have a factory dp and it doesn't look like there's any other resonator so we'll see how it goes. At the shop now getting it put on with the valves open so I may need to add a hotdog style resonator. We'll see. Thanks everyone on here for their input already. Fake tips were reasonable to remove thanks to comments on here but man I was covered in dirt and rocks when I was done.

Users Country Flag
    You can open and close valves by hand Tiguan Exhaust

Wysłane z mojego ELE-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Quote Originally Posted by mattchatr View Post
    Ha, I am. That being said the b cycle Tig in Canada is a dog. You folks are lucky you get the GTI engine and a Dsg. But, I've added a neuspeed Power Module so it's close to your engine minus the better transmission and tuners are actually working on something for this engine so I'm hopeful. That being said, can't stand fake exhaust so the golf r muffler I picked up for 150 bucks is worth the try. I'll have a factory dp and it doesn't look like there's any other resonator so we'll see how it goes. At the shop now getting it put on with the valves open so I may need to add a hotdog style resonator. We'll see. Thanks everyone on here for their input already. Fake tips were reasonable to remove thanks to comments on here but man I was covered in dirt and rocks when I was done.
    There’s tunes available for the 132TSI, though you’ll have to go custom as there’s no major tuners that do these just yet (they’re coming but so is Xmas). Gains are very decent especially at the top end. Hopefully your 8 speed can handle it....

Yes in terms of rocks you risk getting a mouthful if it’s not clean. Plus it makes removal of the fake tips harder if there’s sand/debris stuck in the clips. Recommend giving everything a good shake out before starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wachu153 View Post
    You can open and close valves by hand Tiguan Exhaust

Wysłane z mojego ELE-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    Yes. I bought the exhaust without the motors so all that was left were the flap valves which can be turned by hand. Clockwise to open (on both sides) and there is just enough tightness in the actuator that I won't have to weld it down, they stay in any position I leave them in so with them fully open they stay there and I suspect that the exhaust air should keep them that way. I can also confirm that there is maybe, and I mean maybe, a 5% increase in sound so no resonator is needed, even with flaps open. At least on the little rice burner B cycle 2.0T in Canada. The piping is also smaller in diameter so had to step up when connecting the mid pipe to the R exhaust. Who knew

Very happy with it none the less. They lined up okay, had to watch them and be a "floater" in the shop but they were okay with it. I might have one of the tips pushed in maybe 1/4 inch but for now its pretty good. Need to clean up the tips now and wash the car but pretty happy all in all.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mattchatr View Post
    Yes. I bought the exhaust without the motors so all that was left were the flap valves which can be turned by hand. Clockwise to open (on both sides) and there is just enough tightness in the actuator that I won't have to weld it down, they stay in any position I leave them in so with them fully open they stay there and I suspect that the exhaust air should keep them that way. I can also confirm that there is maybe, and I mean maybe, a 5% increase in sound so no resonator is needed, even with flaps open. At least on the little rice burner B cycle 2.0T in Canada. The piping is also smaller in diameter so had to step up when connecting the mid pipe to the R exhaust. Who knew

Very happy with it none the less. They lined up okay, had to watch them and be a "floater" in the shop but they were okay with it. I might have one of the tips pushed in maybe 1/4 inch but for now its pretty good. Need to clean up the tips now and wash the car but pretty happy all in all.
    So we have got the same B-cycle motors, but in Europe we've got DSG7. Did you cut off resonator as well ? I did keep it and it's a little loduder about 2500-3000 RPM with valves open.
    I can make fart i upshift- but from 1 to 2 only.
    I do have motors for valves and trying to make some switch now.
    I do have JB4 "piggyback" as well which gives me about 210KM .
    Last edited by wachu153; 02-06-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I've had my exhaust issues sorted out now.
    My setup has been CTS DP with CAT into stock Tiguan muffler. Horrible noise on cold start and light drone in 1st and some in 2nd just over the 2k rpm mark, and some in 7th gear over 2300rpm.
    Then I went and got a Golf R Mk7.5 muffler installed and everything got worse. I should note that all valves are open.
    Now I've had a Magnaflow resonator/muffler installed where the CAT was located, and the CAT has been moved up closer to the engine.
    Now I have zero drone, and driving home last night with the stereo off I almost thought I was back to stock with everything.
    I get a nice sound when dropping back the gears to pick up the revs quickly, and the car is nice and quiet in tunnels and underground parking lots.
    I've yet to play with it a bit more to see if the DSG farts are still there but suspect they may just be more subtle now.
    I'm just happy to have a high flowing exhaust system to match my Stage 3 mods.
    I was quite surprised that a magnaflow part fit in when everyone else (both Tiguan and Golf owners) were getting hot dog/bottle style resonators from the likes of Lukey Performance and Vibrant, and still had a very small element of drone remaining.

I hope this helps anyone else that goes down the exhaust modification route.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    I've had my exhaust issues sorted out now.
    My setup has been CTS DP with CAT into stock Tiguan muffler. Horrible noise on cold start and light drone in 1st and some in 2nd just over the 2k rpm mark, and some in 7th gear over 2300rpm.
    Then I went and got a Golf R Mk7.5 muffler installed and everything got worse. I should note that all valves are open.
    Now I've had a Magnaflow resonator/muffler installed where the CAT was located, and the CAT has been moved up closer to the engine.
    Now I have zero drone, and driving home last night with the stereo off I almost thought I was back to stock with everything.
    I get a nice sound when dropping back the gears to pick up the revs quickly, and the car is nice and quiet in tunnels and underground parking lots.
    I've yet to play with it a bit more to see if the DSG farts are still there but suspect they may just be more subtle now.
    I'm just happy to have a high flowing exhaust system to match my Stage 3 mods.
    I was quite surprised that a magnaflow part fit in when everyone else (both Tiguan and Golf owners) were getting hot dog/bottle style resonators from the likes of Lukey Performance and Vibrant, and still had a very small element of drone remaining.
    Awesome news - really glad to hear that this sorted it. Magnaflow have a few resonators/mufflers - which part number did you get installed?

I gave up waiting for a Golf R exhaust to come on the market so ended up grabbing the XForce Varex muffler. It has a resonator where the normal Golf R resonator resides (which fits on the Tiggy), and was going to add an additional Lukey 12" long 3" hot dog resonator to my APR dump-pipe as well to reduce drone, but if a better MagnaFlow resonator also fits then . . . .

Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast