Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Exhaust

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    There was one going in Melbourne the other day.

Just look for anyone wrecking a Mk7 Golf R. They do come up reasonably regularly.

The other place to go is ring around the VW tuner shops as they often have a couple sitting out the back that have come off customers cars when they upgrade the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. I’ve rang around the tuners I know and have nothing at the moment. All good, I’ll wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    I've got a 3" DP with highflow CAT which tapers down to the stock 2.5" piping for the Tiguan exhaust which has been fitted to a Mk7.5 muffler. All valves are open, infact I don't have any valves, they all got chopped off haha, and the tips extended out to the bumper.
    There's no resonator at all, infact that gets removed when you have a down pipe fitted due to it's placement.
    I got the tick of approval from the wife. Says it sounds a bit boy racery but not obnoxious.
    The R muffler is louder because it's higher flowing than the stock one. Closing off vavles will keep it quieter, but it's too nice not to hear it.
    The damn thing even burbles on slow downshifts!

If your just fitting an R muffler to the stock down pipe don't worry about loudness, it's actually quite a nice sound, even with the resonator removed. I heard one in person when I picked up the muffler.
    You'll definitely get upshift farts like a stock Golf R.
    S3 /R muffler finally mounted.

Valves have to be open to feel difference to stock 132kw version
    I tried without end muffler and there is not much difference. I think the main silencer is the resonator.
    Last edited by wachu153; 10-05-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wachu153 View Post
    S3 /R muffler finally mounted.

Valves have to be open to feel difference to stock 132kw version
    I tried without end muffler and there is not much difference. I think the main silencer is the resonator.
    Resonator does nothing, I tried a different rear muffler and made a huge different (not in a good way).

If you took your rear muffler off and noticed no difference, either the 132tsi muffler is totally different to the 162tsi or the 132tsi has additional mufflers / resonators.
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Users Country Flag
    There is big middle muffler
    Last edited by wachu153; 10-05-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wachu153 View Post
    There is big middle muffler

That's not the main source of the muffling. That's the resonator. What INASNT is referring to is the huge muffler right at the end of the exhaust

Users Country Flag
    I did started the car without end muffler and there were not much noise. So I am conviced that in my case the resonator is the main silencer

Edit
    After 300km is much better. With valves open I even got farts in upshift in some circumstances
    Last edited by wachu153; 15-05-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Fellow Tiguan owners, I need your advice.

I have APR stage 3 on the car and love it, except for the new exhaust note. The car now sounds like a cross between a try hard boy racer and an obnoxious lawnmower. Its particularly vile when cold which is not helped by a sympathetic buzz between 1K-3K rpm which my mechanic has traced to be in the muffler itself. Drone is negligible when the engine isn’t under load, but gets annoying especially when going up hills on the freeway. My wife, whilst liking the handling and drivability of the car, can't stand the noise. Even I feel somewhat ashamed when driving it up the driveway first thing in the morning - it isn't good.

So, the muffler with its internal buzz has to be replaced. What a shame 😊. So what do I want? I want an exhaust note that is ice and quiet when pottering around, but don’t want anything that is going to restrict/hamper performance and power, and am very happy for the exhaust to sing when driving spiritedly. So here the options I’ve been leaning towards.

1. Get my hands on an R Mk 7.5 muffler and install. Retain the valve flaps when the tips are extended to suit the Tiguan and control the exhaust flaps ideally be enabling them via ODBEleven Pro (which I have) and sourcing the Golf R exhaust valve harness and plugging into the loom somewhere, or worst case using an AWE switchpath.
    2. Same as above, but use the new Invidia R400 exhaust (Invidia Signature Series R400 Volkswagen Golf R mk7.5 Valved catback Exhaust) – I love the black tips and the review for the exhaust, at least from the Subaru owners, it very positive.
    3. Go with the XForce Varex muffler (https://vwcentral.com.au/xforce-vw-g...st-system.html), put the black tips on (https://vwcentral.com.au/vw-golf-r-m...-4-outlet.html) and control it with the Varex smartbox controller (https://vwcentral.com.au/xforce-vare...ller-1382.html).

So, along with opinions of what people think about the above options, I have other questions too that I’m hoping someone might know an answer to or have a knowledgeable opinion on. They are:

1. Where the heck to do get a half decent R 7.5 muffler from? I’ve been looking at availability for the last few months and have only seen on come up. Is COVID restricting supply? I’ve chased wreckers, exhaust shops, eBay, VW forums, gumtree – there seems to be none around?
    2. Does the resonator before the Golf R muffler actually fit on the Tiguan? I’ve read some posts where those doing the conversion deleted it because it wouldn’t fit. As my mechanic pointed out to me, my Tiguan had its resonator in the centre pipe which is now deleted by the PAR dump pipe. The Golf R has a resonator just before the muffler but the Tiguan does not. I really want some type of resonator before the muffler. If the Golf R doesn't fit, that makes me lean towards the XForce (which has a thin style one) or means I need to modify the APR dump pip, Golf R muffler or Invidia muffler.
    3. Has anyone actually got the Tiguan ECU to control the exhaust valves? I know that Tigger got his hands on the Golf R exhaust valve loom but don’t know if it got installed? What I love about the auto control is that it a) minimizes noise when below 3500rpm when in 4th and above on part throttle, opens the valves automatically on part throttle, and gives better throttle response on part throttle because the closed valves create back pressure which helps the turbo spool more quickly. Whilst turbo response is great in Stage 3 under WOT, it is noticeably worse with the IS38 under part throttle.
    4. If I go for the Invidia muffler, where do I get the exhaust valve control solenoids from apart from a dealer? Haven’t seen these go up for sale on the forums. Does anyone who installed the Golf R muffler and deleted the valve have any? Also, has anyone tried one of these new Invidia R400 exhausts? Whilst expensive, they are cheaper than many alternatives and those black tips look HOT.
    5. If I go the XForce, does anyone know how the exhaust valve works? On the Golf R and other aftermarket exhausts, there is a left and right valve on the outside tailpipe (the inside tailpipe has no valve). On the XForce exhaust, the control valve mechanism is on top of the muffler. So with other exhausts, closing the control valves closes 2 of the 4 pathways out. Im assuming that these muffler designs have greater muffling of these open tailpipes to keep the noise down, and the two tailpipes with the valves are a little less restricted. With the XForce varex, surely closing the valve doesn’t close off all airflow?

1. Lastly, the XForce controller uses Bluetooth from the OBD-II port to the controller to open the valves. Would this be 100% reliable? Would hate to floor it and find that the valve didn’t open because of a Bluetooth connection issue. Wouldn’t CanBus (or LinBus) would be more reliable? (which of course isn't an option with the Varex)

Lots of questions – sorry. Wanting to make the best choice and not really sure what that is. Hence this post as I know there are quite a few out there with far more knowledge than me regarding this!
    2018 VW Tiguan 162 TSI Sportline
    APR Stage 3 ECU tune, TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune, IS38 Rev F turbo, APR intercooler, APR dump pipe, Racingline intake kit & 034 rear swaybar.
    XForce Varex muffler & controller on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Entheos View Post
    Fellow Tiguan owners, I need your advice...
    1. Go with the XForce Varex muffler (https://vwcentral.com.au/xforce-vw-g...st-system.html), put the black tips on (https://vwcentral.com.au/vw-golf-r-m...-4-outlet.html) and control it with the Varex smartbox controller (https://vwcentral.com.au/xforce-vare...ller-1382.html).

The person who I bought my Golf R exhaust from had this installed. Very customisable and you can put in geofencing restriction so the valves are always closed when leaving/arriving home.

So, along with opinions of what people think about the above options, I have other questions too that I’m hoping someone might know an answer to or have a knowledgeable opinion on. They are:

1. Where the heck to do get a half decent R 7.5 muffler from? I’ve been looking at availability for the last few months and have only seen on come up. Is COVID restricting supply? I’ve chased wreckers, exhaust shops, eBay, VW forums, gumtree – there seems to be none around? I found mine on Gumtree, just keep looking as they will pop up here and there
    2. Does the resonator before the Golf R muffler actually fit on the Tiguan? No.
    Ultimately from everyone elses experience I've seen on the forums, I've found that a large dump pipe really increases the volume and significantly changes the sound of the exhaust. I wonder if the best outcome for you is to:
    1. Mk 7 Golf R exhaust (valves closed in stock position)
    2. Central resonator of some sort

This way you will have a more refined exhaust sound that is "tighter" rather than the "boomy" sound that you have now.
    If you wanted switchable exhausts then you'll need to look at the other alternatives.

If I ever get to catch up with Tigger73, I'll do an exhaust comparison as he has a Stage 3 upgrade with Mk7.5 Golf R exhaust (valves open in stock setting) whilst I have a stock car with central res delete and Mk7 R exhaust.

EDIT, got the video link:

Last edited by veew; 10-09-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    Never had a problem with IS38 and stock rear muffler. Quiet when you want it to be and loud when with a led foot

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by veew View Post
    Stock Golf R muffler - So, it sits at a different angle to the Tiguan exhaust but with a bit of cutting/welding would fit
    Thanks - good to know. So the stock Golf R muffler and most aftermarket ones will need modifications in addition to the tips if I want a resonator in place. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by veew View Post
    Varex muffler - The person who I bought my Golf R exhaust from had this installed. Very customisable and you can put in geofencing restriction so the valves are always closed when leaving/arriving home.
    The Varex solution is very tempting. I did a bit more research - the smart box actually plugs into the ODBII port - bluetooth is only to connect to the phone app. Question now is noise - does the resonator and having the valve closed make it quiet enough for freeway and the wife - hoping so. Also found out that the "closed" position of the valve directs the exhaust flow through the chambered path (similar design with the stock muffler).
    Last edited by Entheos; 24-05-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    2018 VW Tiguan 162 TSI Sportline
    APR Stage 3 ECU tune, TVS Stage 2+ TCU tune, IS38 Rev F turbo, APR intercooler, APR dump pipe, Racingline intake kit & 034 rear swaybar.
    XForce Varex muffler & controller on the way.

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast