Thread: Tiguan 2017: Onboard fault logging

Users Country Flag

Tiguan 2017: Onboard fault logging

Does the Tiguan (MY 2017) keep an on-board fault logging?

Here is my story:
    We bought an MY 2017 in January 2018. Ever since, I have taken it four times to the dealer to check up on the sensors either giving faulty readings or failing. The last one failed to detect an obstacle when I was reversing (and collided). The dealer said "no faults were found".

My wife, who is ever-observant, noted that before the collision, the warning that I was about to hit a post box pier did not activate.

I am particularly interested to know if the system kept a record (times and dates) if the reverse parking sensor did fail or not.

Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by CWolf1 View Post
    Does the Tiguan (MY 2017) keep an on-board fault logging?

Here is my story:
    We bought an MY 2017 in January 2018. Ever since, I have taken it four times to the dealer to check up on the sensors either giving faulty readings or failing. The last one failed to detect an obstacle when I was reversing (and collided). The dealer said "no faults were found".

My wife, who is ever-observant, noted that before the collision, the warning that I was about to hit a post box pier did not activate.

I am particularly interested to know if the system kept a record (times and dates) if the reverse parking sensor did fail or not.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes it does but not sure if to that extent.. It does say its an Aid and I dont completely trust it and so watch in the MMI just to be sure

One observation about the reverse sensors and camera is that it looks down and so if you back up to a car it will get closer than you think as the redline will actually be under the front of the car behind.

I figured it out in my garage that I should never go further back than when the line meets the edge of the floor and the wall and so work out where the line is in relation to the front of what you are reversing up to.

Also it has problems picking up things like narrow posts and so is reason why you hit it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Yes it keeps a record of system faults. If you disconnect a sensor it will complain and shut the OPS system down and log a fault. You can see those faults with VCDS (date, time, odometer at the time of the record). But. if the sensor is not as sensitive as it should be system will not see that (a bit bit like a dim globe still works and wont raise open circuit fault). You can do a test by walking towards a car and seeing if each sensor segment reacts the same.
    You could also ask a dealer to calibrate the system which they should do after each time a bumper bar is removed or after collision where a a bumper bar was replaced. Its a chargeable item unless they find a fault and can claim it under VW Australia warranty.