Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedo Correction Is it possible

Users Country Flag

Speedo Correction Is it possible

Wondering if its possible, using an OBDeleven to alter the pulses or however the speedo is calibrated on the Tiguan.

Am sick of running close to the wind when using ACC with the little hard to see Speed camera trailers on the Bruce north of Brisbane.

I couldnt do it on the Passat so hoping for better with this one
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I doubt it.
    My Tig is about 3-4 km/hr lower at 60kph
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

What you need to do is have an OBD reader and display ECU speed. This is accurate.

Autopolar FIS+ will do it.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    What you need to do is have an OBD reader and display ECU speed. This is accurate.

Autopolar FIS+ will do it.
    Yeah I can do that with my OBD11 but as with other VW models there is usually a way to alter the pulses per Km to get it closer to actual

The Passat had 5 different country settings and would accept the VCDS changes but never actually did them
    The Polo was the same Had several different settings between 0 and 7 for pulse rates and accepted them but didnt change anything.

I just wondered with the more sophisticated modules in the Tigs if it was possible or if anyone had investigated .

Mine reads 4 over actual at 100kph and about 5 at 110. I went past a speed camera the other day and on reading my dashcams I was doing 112 when I had ACC set at 116. Was 24 days ago and ticket hasnt shown up so far LOL
    Cant be fussed having to read it off the phone all the time. At least the Passat showed it in the secret menu in the RNS510

I get what you mean, but can’t you just set the cruise to a speed that you know is safe- but not too slow? I know my speedo is currently 4% out, so as a buffer I set it to 114 on 110 zones and 104 for 100.

This puts me basically at the true speed limit.

There’s then about 3-6kph(depending on state) buffer allowed for camera variance vs true speed. Ie- if you’re pinged for 103 in 100 zone, you were really doing 106-109.

Yes and thats what I did as I said but was being a bit greedy and had it at 116 which is 1- 2 over true . It would be much easier if it was just correct as it was in my Landcruiser..

You dont get any buffer like 6 in Qld Probably 3 max as I got a ticket years ago for 4 over.

Camera is sitting on the top of a hill so most cars slow a bit but not VW it just keeps on keeping on at the set speed Damn it Lol

Users Country Flag
    I read that Queensland govt were buying extra little yellow trailer speed cameras because the first two were the most revenue productive speed cameras in the State. I have seen them amongst the Gateway and EightMilePlains roadworks behind the temporary barriers with just the camera snorkel above the barrier.

Agree the VW built-in speedo error is a pain. Its worth a good half an hour driving Brisbane to Sydney.

We have gone into work-around mode with a Garmin GPS suction-cupped to the windscreen which appears to be real-time accurate, and just set CC to that.
    I have been into fuel economy lately and a few clicks lower can make a big difference, so I tend to focus on that. Almost as much fun...
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by yowie View Post
    I read that Queensland govt were buying extra little yellow trailer speed cameras because the first two were the most revenue productive speed cameras in the State. I have seen them amongst the Gateway and EightMilePlains roadworks behind the temporary barriers with just the camera snorkel above the barrier.

Agree the VW built-in speedo error is a pain. Its worth a good half an hour driving Brisbane to Sydney.

We have gone into work-around mode with a Garmin GPS suction-cupped to the windscreen which appears to be real-time accurate, and just set CC to that.
    I have been into fuel economy lately and a few clicks lower can make a big difference, so I tend to focus on that. Almost as much fun...
    Don't forget to keep the following in mind, not VW's fault:

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/01 - Instrumentation) 2006 and still in force

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/01 - Instrumentation) 2006

18.5. SPEEDOMETERS AND ODOMETERS (ALL VEHICLES)

18.5.1. Speedometers

18.5.1.1. Unless otherwise ‘Approved’, every vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which shall:

18.5.1.1.1. indicate vehicle speed only in kilometres per hour; and

18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of + 10 per cent.

18.5.1.2. The speedometer shall be installed so that its indication is readily visible to the driver when seated in the normal driving position.

18.5.2. Odometers

18.5.2.1. Every vehicle other than LA; LB and LEM group vehicles shall be fitted with an odometer which shall:

18.5.2.1.1. indicate distance travelled in one kilometre units (or less) from 1 to 999,999 kilometres; and

18.5.2.1.2. indicate the actual distance travelled by the vehicle to an accuracy of + 4 per cent.

18.5.2.2. Every vehicle of category LC, LD and LEM shall be fitted with an odometer which shall:

18.5.2.2.1. indicate distance travelled in one kilometre units from 1 to 99,999 kilometres; and

18.5.2.2.2. indicate the actual distance travelled by the vehicle to an accuracy of + 4 per cent

Quote Originally Posted by dmn View Post
    Don't forget to keep the following in mind, not VW's fault:

Snip

You are preaching to the converted.

I have quoted that myself dozens of times and doesnt alter what I asked. You can still have it reading exact speeds, but not under.

My speedo and all VW speedos are legal but i want it closer to reality if possible. Im not really het up about it but would be nice if someone has worked out how to bring it closer

As far as Im aware its up to 10% + -4 at 100kph as well if expressed in simple terms

Speedometer Accuracy - Speedo Regulations - RACQ

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation) 2006 is applicable
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 27-07-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Users Country Flag

Please be careful using a GPS for your speed, as it is only accurate on a level surface, when going up or down hill it is not accurate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast