Thread: Speedo

Speedo

How accurate is the Tiguans speedo???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi. Based on GPS on the mobile phone and a stand alone portable GPS (Navman) my Tiguan Allspace 140TDI is 3km's over, so 100kms is 97. On cruise I set the speed 3km's over the posted and have not had an issue. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by johnge View Post
    Hi. Based on GPS on the mobile phone and a stand alone portable GPS (Navman) my Tiguan Allspace 140TDI is 3km's over, so 100kms is 97. On cruise I set the speed 3km's over the posted and have not had an issue. Hope this helps.
    Thanks johnge that’s what I wanted to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    You can comfortably set your cruise control on 115-116kmh and you will be doing about 110kmh real speed. I usually sit on 118-120kmh on the freeway which is around 112-114kmh real speed.

You can download basic free apps such as "Speedometer" on iOS to give you real GPS speed.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I have a P3 gauge in my GTI, mainly to see my oil temp but it also shows your true speed, the manual says the gauge is where the trickery lies so people are always driving a bit under.

I did my first big, interstate trip on Friday and was doing 116 on the speedo for 110 on the P3 gauge.

I generally do 84, 94 etc around town.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You can comfortably set your cruise control on 115-116kmh and you will be doing about 110kmh real speed. I usually sit on 118-120kmh on the freeway which is around 112-114kmh real speed.

You can download basic free apps such as "Speedometer" on iOS to give you real GPS speed.
    Well you couldnt on mine as 114 was 110 and anything over that was too fast. Mine is now bang on at 100kph as I altered it to be so
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well you couldnt on mine as 114 was 110 and anything over that was too fast. Mine is now bang on at 100kph as I altered it to be so
    My 3x Golf's (Mk6 GTI, Mk6 R and now Mk7 GTI) and also my Audi SQ5 are very similar in how much the speedo reads over, so I made the assumption that all VAG vehicles must have a similar conversion factor built into the speedo reading.

Even if you were sitting on an indicated 116kph which in your car was about 111-112kph you would have to be the most unlucky person in the world for a highway patrol to pull you over.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I made the assumption that all VAG vehicles must have a similar conversion factor built into the speedo reading.

Not all the same My Polo was 7 over at 100, the Passat was 5, the Tiguan was 4 and havent checked the Kamiq yet

Of course they are over by law as the ADR says they can be up to 10 over +- 4 at 100 kph but may not read less than actual speed. This came in in July 2006 and pre that were just + - 10% at 100kph

Users Country Flag
    My 09 147TSi Tiguan was 7km over. My 19 132TSi was 5km over. both got corrected to be spot on as per GPS. Caddy was under until I upgraded the 15inch steel rims to 16's alloys. Now it also is 100% spot on.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tek199 View Post
    My 09 147TSi Tiguan was 7km over. My 19 132TSi was 5km over. both got corrected to be spot on as per GPS. Caddy was under until I upgraded the 15inch steel rims to 16's alloys. Now it also is 100% spot on.
    How did you correct your TIGs and dont forget if you did it with new tyres old ones will read slow, not by much but enough