Thread: Shifting feels laggy on 162 TSI

Users Country Flag

Shifting feels laggy on 162 TSI

Hi All,

Couldn't find a thread on this so hoping folks could shed some light here.

I have a 2019 Tiguan 162 - stock everything. I find when I'm in sport mode, and put the DSG into manual mode, the shifting via paddles is very laggy. I.e. time lag between driver paddle input to actual car changing gears.

E.g. Say from M1 > M2, I would shift when its at 4k and the car continues on M1 and doesn't actually shift until its 5.5-6k (seems like its holding the gear longer than what I commanded it to) - which I think is a huge lag. I'm giving the pedal probably 50%..

Even downshifts seems very delayed between driver shifting input to actual gears engaging..

Has any one out there experienced something similar?? Or is it just my car playing up? Feeling very underwhelmed with its performance (esp when its on its 'sportiest' setting).

I have a 140tdi, but similar issue. Occasionally it’ll act as I’d expect/desire- so the car can do it..

I’m guessing either stupid/inconsistent programming and communication, or perhaps lazy/sticking solenoids (or whatever physically makes changes happen- after the electrical signals have happened)

Edit- My experiences are using like for like situations (same road, same engine temp, same throttle position, engine revs, etc) that’s what makes it more frustrating!
    Last edited by Simonr23; 08-05-2020 at 09:04 AM.

My 2019 Golf GTI is the same. The paddle shifters are super slow and almost identical to your experience, when driving normally.

However, when I’m flooring it, it’s instant and just fires through the gears with the paddle shifters.

Not sure that’ll work for the Tig, but my GTI tends to behave differently depending how I’m driving. It’s so smart.

^^ one of the reasons I avoid manual mode from takeoff, it’s especially bad from M1 to M2. That, or I forget to change.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks guys, comforting to know I'm not the only one. I think I'm going to try and floor it to see if behaviours change and speed shifts improve.

I guess a TCU tune could solve this down the track.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk