Thread: Service Item Costs

Service Item Costs

The Tiguan was serviced today by my son who is a tech for another brand and we decided to have a look at the Haldex pump filter to see how much debris it had on it and it did have some so it was worth the look. We buy VW genuine parts at cost and the oil and o'rings to do the pump service cost the thick end of $200 so be warned if you ask for it to be done as VW do not include the item in any scheduled service. My car has only done 50K and it gets driven mostly on open highways and I was surprised at how much Haldex clutch material was on the filter. I am going to see if the O'rings can be supplied from a bearing supplier I know as they were $75 for two! If the filter gets blocked their is no indication of it and the pump I believe then needs replacing.

Users Country Flag
    Not quite following you there...

The Haldex gets serviced every 3yrs and has been that way since circa 2010.

As for the price being over $200 alone, seems odd.

I have had both cars serviced with their 3yr / 45,000km over the past few weeks.

Haldex Oil: Renewed Every 3 Years (as per the invoice).

G060175A2 Haldex Oil $81
    N90281802 Fill Plug $5.40
    N91082701 Drain Bolt $8.55

The strainer does not get replaced, just cleaned.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    I think what he means is that the filter/strainer is not part of the standard service. Replacing the oil is, but checking/cleaning the filter is not.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I think what he means is that the filter/strainer is not part of the standard service. Replacing the oil is, but checking/cleaning the filter is not.
    Yeah, the strainer should be cleaned IMO but it isn’t unfortunately. Changing the oil won’t stop it getting clogged and stuffing the pump
    Cheers

The strainer is attached to the pump and the pump has to be removed to clean the strainer and the O'rings on the pump body are eye wateringly expensive for just two of them. There are many stories of the pump failing because the filter/strainer gets blocked and apparently there is no outward signs that the Hadex has failed until you encounter a situation where it is needed.

Users Country Flag
    The Haldex pump in a mate’s S3 died recently with this very cause. One day it was fine, next it wouldn’t launch properly. Is just a play car so wasn’t a huge issue, but you’re right - no lead up symptoms. And his is <40k km old.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    My friends Mk7 R's Haldex died also and required a new pump. His car had just over 100,000km on it at the time.

Even though the cost of the o rings is ridiculous, its much cheaper than replacing the Haldex pump ($1,000+) when it fails.

Probably a good idea to have it done at the 4yr/60,000km major service when the Haldex oil gets changed for piece of mind - if not earlier.

Here is a link to the pump assembly and you can see the (very small) white plastic filter as well as the 2x o rings B501900 - PUMP AWD COUPLING (GEN V) VAG | Servicing
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 25-11-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    The strainer is attached to the pump and the pump has to be removed to clean the strainer and the O'rings on the pump body are eye wateringly expensive for just two of them. There are many stories of the pump failing because the filter/strainer gets blocked and apparently there is no outward signs that the Hadex has failed until you encounter a situation where it is needed.
    I am sure VW Germany know of this very fact and bet on it failing soon after the warranty expires.

Users Country Flag
    Current: MkVI Golf GTI. Tiguan 162 Highline Pure white, DAP/Rline/Sun.
    Gone: Tiguan 103TDI.

Users Country Flag

Good video on the Haldex 5 service; MK7 GOLF R HALDEX GEN 5 AWD FIXED! - YouTube
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)