Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliability after 5 years

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    If I had all your doubts with having a DSG there is no way I would buy a car with the transmission in it.
    I'm with you mate, unfortunately, at the moment all the "performance" SUVs from VW only come with a DSG ... and since the T-Roc R was what my wife chose, I had no choice but to give in ... happy wife happy life etc etc etc.

It will only stick around until about a year before the warranty runs out though ...
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI (150TSI) Trendline manual White2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 2017 Polo GTI manual Black Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Blaming the driving style is utter BS.

VW should design the gearboxes to take whatever driving style the owners would reasonably use. The fact is that there are inherent flaws in the DSG designs and that they will all fail at some point in time, some sooner some a bit later. Some way sooner than what can be considered reasonable at law. The litigious nature of our USA friends has forced VW to now employ normal automatics in many models in the USA where there have been successful class actions against VW in relation to DSG failures.

In the 2 years the MK8 has been out, how many gearbox failures have been noted against the TSIs in Australia? By now this forum (and others) would already have had DSG horror stories (like what happended to the Mk6, Mk7 & Mk7.5s), yet not a peep about that "normal" automatic in the Mk8 1.4TSIs anywhere really. Lose some "performance", gain massively improved reliability. Win for VW and its owners.
    Fully agree Sharkie

I am one of those that have now experienced the dreaded "Gearbox in Emergency" mode 20kms out from home.
    Had to limp back stuck in 2nd gear only at 40 km/h. It was not a load of fun.

As the Tiguan has only done 25K kms and is 4 years old (still under warranty), I will most likely sell at the 5 year mark.
    I have little confidence that other DSG issues won't arise after the warranty expires.

My previous SUV had a standard gearbox, was rock solid and did 100K kms with no issues.
    My next SUV purchase will definitely be a torque converter / standard gearbox (no DSG / Dual Clutch / CVT).
    Last edited by FastMitch; 12-07-2023 at 03:38 PM.

I'm with you mate, unfortunately, at the moment all the "performance" SUVs from VW only come with a DSG ... and since the T-Roc R was what my wife chose, I had no choice but to give in ... happy wife happy life etc etc etc.

It will only stick around until about a year before the warranty runs out though ...
    I wouldn't buy a manual car for a bet even if you gave me the money.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't buy a manual car for a bet even if you gave me the money.
    So you are a steerer then, not a driver Thats OK, we need all sorts, even those that are challenged ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI (150TSI) Trendline manual White2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 2017 Polo GTI manual Black Previous VWs and some others ...

So you are a steerer then, not a driver Thats OK, we need all sorts, even those that are challenged ....
    As someone one who has been actively involved in motorsport for the last 50 years both in rallying and circuit racing and drove trucks professionally for most of my working life don't tell me what I am. Until you are deep into a corner with cars all around you you have no idea what driving is all about.

Users Country Flag
    As someone one who has been actively involved in motorsport for the last 50 years both in rallying and circuit racing and drove trucks professionally for most of my working life don't tell me what I am. Until you are deep into a corner with cars all around you you have no idea what driving is all about.
    Have you done the Targa Tasmania?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Have you done the Targa Tasmania?
    Try your trolling on someone else

Users Country Flag

What are you on about ... was genuinely asking as I am considering doing it myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12