Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Tyres Scrubbing/Haldex Engaging in First Gear

Rear Tyres Scrubbing/Haldex Engaging in First Gear

When turning corners from a stationary start (first gear), it feels/sounds like the transmission is binding up similar to a 4WD diff lock. I'm getting noises from the rear diff and on some occasions scrubbing sounds from tyres.

I'm getting the dealer to take a look at it as it doesn't feel right. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like an issue with the Haldex coupling.

Probably wouldn't drive it in the wet until it's sorted.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

It's a funny thing as it only ever happens in 1st gear. If you're rolling it'll never happen as the car will be in 2nd. I may try testing in manual mode. Key thing is to convince the service department there is something that needs to get looked into.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    When turning corners from a stationary start (first gear), it feels/sounds like the transmission is binding up similar to a 4WD diff lock. I'm getting noises from the rear diff and on some occasions scrubbing sounds from tyres.

I'm getting the dealer to take a look at it as it doesn't feel right. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.
    Hi Tigger
    In my previous gen Tig, my gearbox had some metallic rubbing/clunking sounds when I first picked it up. I brought it to a mechanic friend initially to take a look at and low and behold the front drive shaft / coupling (around the donut) was missing 2 bolts and the remaining few were loose and rattling around. I brought it back to the dealer who was shocked and organised a new drive shaft as there was damage to the shaft and coupling that was not repairable.

Perhaps ask them to get you Tig on the hoist and have a look at the transmission and drive shaft, sometimes things from the factory aren’t perfect and things can go wrong.

Hope your situation is different. Best of luck!

I get the same noise/feeling when taking off with a relative amount of steering angle. I just assumed that was the Haldex doing it's stuff. I did notice the same sensation when I test drove the dealer car too.

But generally only with very light throttle it happens OR taking off aggressively from an intersection.

(I tried to do donuts in the Tiguan, it doesn't let you... don't tell me wife).
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    I just assumed that was the Haldex doing it's stuff.
    Me too
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    You all was making fun here and trying to convince me i is normal DSG VW . but looks like Tiger73 you experience now same magic of bad VW quality build with tiguan 4wd .
    When I was pointing this about last year on my brand new Tiguan wich I noticed first day this rattle / clunking sound coming somewhere bellow like Automatic DSG box / gear transfer box or differential to haldex It is like ''clunk clunk' rattle noise like something is lose inside and hitting on metal case, noticed on low speed 10-25km and when you take foot from gas paddle and put again ,even in reverse can be noticed going back and forward .
    Take look this video similar problem reported user of Tiguan 2 4wd from Singapore and lots of other users in UK have reported same problem
    Something is huge wrong wit 4WD on new Tiguans or at last on effected production line built .We need to put pressure on VW to resolve as this is not like they try to convince us '' normal characteristic of new DSG car'' , at least not of any my previous 4 VAG cars in my collection o cars in family .
    This bellow I experience is exactly the same , and is my nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhHWfXKqJY

YouTube Here is well shown when he lifted car and done test in garage how engine /dsg /transfer box rattle and make clunking noise
    YouTube

4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - Page 7 - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums
    Last edited by cameleon72; 29-09-2018 at 01:20 AM.

I agree Dose Pipe that it seems to be a Haldex thing as the noise comes from the rear as if the Haldex is engaging the rear wheels in 1st gear.

Car is booked in to VW next Monday so will hopefully be able to get them to repeat/observe the issue and will report back.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Tigger73
    Have you visited service regarding this issue, any update ?

Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Hi Tigger73
    Have you visited service regarding this issue, any update ?
    I'm heading in on Monday. First thing is to get them to replicate the issue. Second is for them to agree that it's not right. Third is to get them to do something about it. Fourth is to get it fixed.

I'm hoping we at least get to first base. I'm not hopeful of a home run on the first visit... I think this will take some time and may require a VW master tech/factory to look into the issue.

I suspect this is the way these have been programmed to operate in the factory. So reality is the dealer can only put it back to "factory". What I believe needs to happen is for VWA to escalate to the factory and for them to replicate the issue in Germany and then for a fix to be rolled out from there. I don't think it's going to be a quick fix, however I'm prepared to initiate the process and follow it through to a resolution.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast