Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rear Tyres Scrubbing/Haldex Engaging in First Gear

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Hi Spacemannz , just my advice don't even think in Haldex coding set from default normal to quite, you will lose so much rear power that car will fill so sluggish
    Thanks. Nope, I haven’t and won’t be touching it
    Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | DAP | MY18

Users Country Flag
    Maybe a dumb question, so please don’t flame me for asking it, but could it be an alignment issue if the tyres are scrubbing/crabbing?
    Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | DAP | MY18

Quote Originally Posted by spacemannz View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, so please don’t flame me for asking it, but could it be an alignment issue if the tyres are scrubbing/crabbing?
    No dumb question. The service advisor did say that you could get some shudder through the steering wheel at full lock and that this was "normal".

However this is happening even under partial lock - entering roads or turning at an intersection. Also it only ever happens in first gear/from a standing start. If you're already rolling, the DSG will be in second gear and then it never happens. So I'm kind of discounting a potential alignment issue as it would happen whichever gear you're in. If you're rolling into a round-about it doesn't happen.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Unfortunately the service departments reaction is not unusual and as I said before VW world wide are not admitting anything to anyone. I haven't got this particular issue and it occurs to me as I type this that there might be a good reason for that. My car has the smaller wheels not being an R line so the tyres have more compliance and I wonder if this is a factor. My car if it is hot can sometimes suffer from what I think is drive line shunt when slowing down when it appears to hold 3rd gear too long but I have never pursued it because it is intermittent and so minor it is hardly worth the trouble though I have made a formal complaint for future reference. I have seen a theory advanced that the dual clutch flywheel can cause issues and have the same symptoms as my car has but up to now I know of no Tiguan that has been pulled apart to pursue these drive line problems but there are a lot of YT videos out there. Certainly all these issues have been widely discussed on the British Tiguan forums with not a single person having any success in resolving the problems their car has because VW do not want to know.

Users Country Flag
    Hi tigger73
    Yes at full lock steering I have also notice what you describe as some shudder through the steering wheel at full lock ,like some kind very strange resistance shudder doing full turn on street ,you need to hold very tide steering wheel like to fight to eliminate or reduce resistance it just dont seems normal ,at last like not any car I had before ,my Audi q3 is similar weight and I don't have any resistance shudder fight at steering full lock turn.
    My current wheels on tiguan are 18 inch from audi sline very rigid light wheelset (for comparison rline 20 suzuka is 30kg with tyre and my 18 inch with conti tire weight only 21.7kg )and I did have same issue with factory 17 inch Tulsa , checked many time balance is perfect . Soemething fill not right in relation suspension front (specialy left side maybe because more weight as dsg is on left) to drive shaft steering rack .I hope someone will find and address this.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    No dumb question. The service advisor did say that you could get some shudder through the steering wheel at full lock and that this was "normal".

However this is happening even under partial lock - entering roads or turning at an intersection. Also it only ever happens in first gear/from a standing start. If you're already rolling, the DSG will be in second gear and then it never happens. So I'm kind of discounting a potential alignment issue as it would happen whichever gear you're in. If you're rolling into a round-about it doesn't happen.
    Happens in 2nd too, I can get it make the noise in 1st/2nd haven't had enough road/space to plant it on 3rd.
    To be honest, the noise it makes isn't too far off an EVO Lancer when you plant it into corners.

I assume it's due to different wheel speeds front vs. rear axle

Also planning to take the Tiguan to Wakefield Park next month or so will report back on all the noises it makes.
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag
    It's odd that it seems to be engaging the Haldex proactively from a standstill.

I'd have thought that it would perhaps only do this, if launch control was active, or an offroad mode was selected.

My experience with them is that they're a passive system until needed.

I've only skimmed over the bulk of the thread, but do the logs show that the pump is being activated while the symptoms are occurring? I wonder if a basic bedding-in of the friction plates would change its behaviour?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    It's odd that it seems to be engaging the Haldex proactively from a standstill.

I'd have thought that it would perhaps only do this, if launch control was active, or an offroad mode was selected.

My experience with them is that they're a passive system until needed.

I've only skimmed over the bulk of the thread, but do the logs show that the pump is being activated while the symptoms are occurring? I wonder if a basic bedding-in of the friction plates would change its behaviour?
    If you're gentle off the line it will be quiet, if you're mashing the pedal off the line then you'll feel it kick in. It nearly feels it is TPS activated, well in these cars I could refer to that as PPS lol (DBW setup).

Happens in any mode actually.

I've ordered a OBD11 Pro kit, will log and report back when I have some time. Have 3x cars (Japanese S13 Silvia **** boxes) I need to dyno tune in the next two weeks and setup after hours.
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

There has got to be a difference between the cars it happens in and those it does not and equipment spec would have to be the obvious thing to look at.

Ok just a quick update.

I went for a quick drive with my independent mechanic and he said there's definitely something going on with the Haldex at low speed in 1st gear. We drove around on some smooth concrete and you can see the tyre marks as the outside wheel is gripping at the surface. It does same thing in snow mode as well as off-road mode (more severe).

I really believe this is the way it has come from the factory (not some kind of mechanical fault with the car). I'll bring it back up with VW dealer service to see if they can push it through as a technical query/clarification. My main concerns are increased tyre wear (best case) or damage to the transfer case/drivetrain (worst case).

My mechanic did say he didn't think it was a major issue and that there's clearly a lot of cars running around like it with no problems, however he said it definitely doesn't happen in Mk7 Golf R. When I've got some time I'll take it back to the dealer and demonstrate the issue to the service tech which they said was the next step.
    Last edited by tigger73; 13-10-2018 at 09:42 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast