Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Tyres Scrubbing/Haldex Engaging in First Gear

It will be a world first (literally) if you get any acknowledgement of a problem.

I might play around with VCDS on the weekend to see if I can see when the Haldex is engaging and disengaging the rear wheels.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I'm heading in on Monday. First thing is to get them to replicate the issue. Second is for them to agree that it's not right. Third is to get them to do something about it. Fourth is to get it fixed.

I'm hoping we at least get to first base. I'm not hopeful of a home run on the first visit... I think this will take some time and may require a VW master tech/factory to look into the issue.

I suspect this is the way these have been programmed to operate in the factory. So reality is the dealer can only put it back to "factory". What I believe needs to happen is for VWA to escalate to the factory and for them to replicate the issue in Germany and then for a fix to be rolled out from there. I don't think it's going to be a quick fix, however I'm prepared to initiate the process and follow it through to a resolution.
    When you go in, tell them you are a Super Mod on the VW forum
    And ask them if they want you to create a sticky post dedicated to dodgy transmissions

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    When you go in, tell them you are a Super Mod on the VW forum
    And ask them if they want you to create a sticky post dedicated to dodgy transmissions
    Don't worry there's already a super moderator that works there

Users Country Flag
    Maybe I am wrong, but I have feeling that you will receive same response as me and the other owners with similar issue: sorry but nothing wrong with your car, is just 'characteristic of VW transmission drive''.
    Last edited by tigger73; 06-10-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I noticed a bit of a sound similar to what you describe tigger73 - in a parking building yesterday after driving in the torrential rain we had on Friday in Sydney. I’d actually pulled a couple of very hard takeoffs at the lights (0-60kph) to test the Haldex (Which was amazing!) and wonder if it remained engaged for the remainder of a short trip.
    I left the parking building 10min later and no sound.
    This is the same parking building I frequent daily and never noticed it before. It was the first time driving properly hard in the wet and forcing the Haldex to work.
    I noticed there is coding to set the Haldex parameters - it might be worth checking those and see if the default (quiet) is not set for some reason.

As another idea; I think the esp program grabs the brakes on the inside wheels when cornering to assist with stability and to turn tighter. Is that correct? Maybe that’s come into play at parking speeds?

Users Country Flag
    Hi Spacemannz , just my advice don't even think in Haldex coding set from default normal to quite, you will lose so much rear power that car will fill so sluggish .
    I test this when bought car and find those clunking noise , and find same Haldex coding option . Quiet option was looking very promising which i think should fix my car clunking noise to be ''quiet'' he he was so wrong.
    So I set on that quiet mode and keep driving forgetting even that I changed . The clunking / rattle noise remained the same but my car was so sluggish! Playing with other coding experimenting didn't know that was the reason car is sluggish. At that time I was so disappointed in 132tsi engine performance especially going up to hill, But after week or 2 I remembered that I changed Haldex coding and I put back to normal and even gone after testing loud mode.
    I notice big pull improvement going from standard but not any more noise than standard .So my preferred settings is the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Maybe I am wrong, but I have feeling that you will receive same response as me and the other owners with similar issue: sorry but nothing wrong with your car, is just 'characteristic of VW transmission drive''.
    Well as you predicted the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with my car and said it behaving normally and couldn't fault it.

I did run some logs on the car over the weekend, however although I could see the Haldex engaging on take-off I think I'll have to run some more to log the steering angle sensor vs. axle speed delta. The other challenge I have is the VCDS cable I have doesn't support high speed logging (turbo mode) so the number of parameters and speed is limited making the resolution less than ideal as most of this happens in the first second or two of take-off.

I'm going to have an independent mechanic have a quick look/drive and see what he thinks but I'll need to have some more firm data / professional opinion that something does need to be rectified to take it back to VW. The local dealer haven't closed the door but have said I'll need to demonstrate the issue for them to be able take it any further.

To their credit they did do some searching on related issues and brought up a TPI 2017165/16 relating to squeaking/creaking noises on full lock but this was more about the ribs of the outer bellows on the steering touching resulting in squeaking/creaking noises and nothing to do with Haldex/diff lock of wheels while turning.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Well as you predicted the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with my car and said it behaving normally and couldn't fault it.
    That is a concern.

VW needs to move to an 8 Speed TC and drop these rubbish dual clutch. They sound more unreliable than a rubber band CVT.

Even BMW is dropping the Dual Clutch nonsense.

BMW M to dump dual-clutches, go auto-only within a decade

New 8-speed and 10-speed Automatic Transmissions (Direct Shift-8AT & Direct Shift-10AT) | TOYOTA Global Newsroom
    Last edited by FastMitch; 09-10-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    That is a concern.

VW needs to move to an 8 Speed TC and drop these rubbish dual clutch. They sound more unreliable than a rubber band CVT.

Even BMW is dropping the Dual Clutch nonsense.

BMW M to dump dual-clutches, go auto-only within a decade

New 8-speed and 10-speed Automatic Transmissions (Direct Shift-8AT & Direct Shift-10AT) | TOYOTA Global Newsroom
    Except that this is not a DSG/dual clutch issue. The 7 speed DQ500 DSG in the Tiguan (since mid-2010) has been a very reliable unit. I have no problems with it apart from maybe not being a massive fan of the factory shift programming.

I think VW has some reasonably good dual clutch transmissions now. The problem is always when you try and make them cheaper and end up becoming less reliable. This is the challenge with making a reliable dual clutch transmission for entry level cars. VW is not the only manufacturer that has had problems at this end of the market.

However back on topic, the issue I've raised in this thread (I believe) is to do with the AWD system engaging during take-off. It's not so much a problem as such with engaging the rear wheels, however it appears that they are being driven in synchronisation. Meaning when you turn a corner it sounds like there's some gripping/slip of the rear tyres on the road.

I'll look to maybe do some more logging to see if I can observe/catch the problem in logging but I suspect this may be a challenge. Otherwise my other option is to set up a camera and try and see if I can record/observe anything from the outside.
    Last edited by tigger73; 09-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast