Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Dash Cam Installation

Users Country Flag

Rear Dash Cam Installation

Hi Peeps, just spent breakfast installing my new DOD rear dashcam. Thought I'd share a slight issue and how I solved it. Hoping this might help those of you who are undertaking installation yourself.

The road bump was getting this cable for the rear dash cam through the rubber grommet wire loom thingee-ma-bob.
    Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_064226-jpg

Normally I would use my kiwi engineered zip ties for holding my bumper together but today was different. The rubber loom's white clips as seen in the pic clip out from one side.
    Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_064600-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_064654-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_064739-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_064846-jpg

Bob's your uncle:
    Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065108-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065302-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065308-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065404-jpg

So this took a good 30 mins including coffee and toast breaks to feed the wire from the front to the back following the drivers side roof lining, end result looks neat and tidy.
    Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065540-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065550-jpg Rear Dash Cam Installation-20171122_065612-jpg

Hope this helps someone!

Users Country Flag
    Awesome. Thanks for that. Very handy.
    Churr bro!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    @spacemannz haha... Churr my bro!!!

Did the same myself over the weekend, nice and clean.

I noticed when I removed the central plastic trim piece that it was not properly installed and the two side clips had been bent back. Luckily they hadn't snapped off, so I was able to reinstall it properly. Something to keep in mind for those of you planning to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

How did you remove the central plastic trim?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCourt View Post
    How did you remove the central plastic trim?
    Just pull it from the glass side. There's a small clip on each end which will pop off easily and 3 stronger clips in the middle.

You can bend it back and "feel" where the resistance is and you can see the holes for the 3 clips in mengy's photos. The central clips are metal so they won't break.

Users Country Flag
    Awesome work mengy.. got mine just installed as well and your guide helped.

Did you hardwire your cam? Just wondering if you did which fuse did you tap into..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I've just gone and done this exact same thing .. except that I managed to partly break the bottom right clip (surrounding the lower rubber grommet boot). It still loosely snaps into place but not as tight as I'd like. Worried about possible water ingress into the roof. Has anyone ever replaced or found a fix for these? I'll probably just add some black sealant to the grommet boot to make sure, but keen to hear if anyone else has had similar issues.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DBO View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I've just gone and done this exact same thing .. except that I managed to partly break the bottom right clip (surrounding the lower rubber grommet boot). It still loosely snaps into place but not as tight as I'd like. Worried about possible water ingress into the roof. Has anyone ever replaced or found a fix for these? I'll probably just add some black sealant to the grommet boot to make sure, but keen to hear if anyone else has had similar issues.
    Well I did it slightly differently After seeing another method of doing it I did this
    I ran a twin flex from fuse box behind glove box down trim and along floor under the door trims to rear quarter and up into left rear pillar behind taillights.after removing little pads that cover where you get to rear tail lights Earthed the neg there

The did the following
    Remove top tailgate trim

Using a trim tool wedge top of rear pillar trim out a bit and slide a mouse down to exposed hole Attach power cable and pull it up

Put fingers or trim tool inside roof lining where there are 4 clips across the back
    Pop them off becareful to only work on the clips or you can pull them off the roof liner
    Put fingers inside tailgate and push the clip holding the flexi pipe towards centre of car and using a screwdriver on the outside lever it down gently and it will drop out Push a mouse down from the taildoor end and pull it out above roof lining.

No need to touch bottom end of it at all

Attach power cable and feed it into flexi pipe and work it through. Get it to camera.

pull excess down into rear pillar You can do two things now. Either attach plug end of power cable to a ciggy holder and then to the wires from the front or I simply cut the plug off and used crimped joiners. My camera is a 12v one

Tidy up wiring under roof lining and carefully reattach clips. refit taildoor trim

All done well away from curtain airbags which blow down from the roof
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Hey guys, great tips in this thread.

I am having some issues in getting past the b pillar. I am pushing up in the headlining and trying to run the wire, but there is just zero room. refer to step 8 in this link . Although that is a golf tutorial, I am assuming running that wire is the same.

I would be hugely grateful to anyone that could share the way they ran the wire for the read cam past the b pillar

Many thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast