Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor80 Stage 3 Allspace R Build

Quote Originally Posted by Razor80 View Post
    This makes sence to do this option then spending extra $$$ on labour costs. IS38 it is then. I do the odd snow trip so may need the snow grete. Would the standard box and high flow filter be sufficient fir that turbo? Would the standard fuel system be sufficient also?
    Standard fuel system will be fine. Just stick the snow grate back in when you go to the snow - it takes literally 2 minutes.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Howabout the turbo flutter (love that sound)? Not too fussed with the BOV tisss sound, I'm far from my 20's to show that off lol
    Would I need an bigger cooler at all or the standard works just as well except in the hotter months I'm guessing?

I've checked out your build on your Sportline - Pretty impressive mods you've done to your Tiggy! What sort of power are you chasing or wanting to achieve? Could you give me a rough base price on what I need so I can budget for it? PM me if need be?
    I like the look of your wheels, did you notice the extra grip from the 20x9's and was there any rubbings on the arch or suspension?

Ooh, the wheel question has stumbled in to my area of expertise

It can get very (very) boring, but the short version is that bigger diameter rims are about visual appeal. Almost always there is a grip deficit vs smaller.

Weight and it’s related negatives (unsprung mass, centripetal forces) the thinner sidewalls of the tyres equal less grip.

On the smoothest racetrack and with the perfectly matched tyres to it (and the weather at the time) can give a more consistent ‘feel’- but not outright grip.

Larger circumference tyres though, will often improve peak grip(longitudinal traction(accel/braking), moreso than lateral), but again, the extra weight can negate some of the handling benefit.

Wider tyres can often improve peak grip, but may also cause an increase to the sudden loss of grip- once the tyre has crossed its grip threshold (snap oversteer/understeer and skidding(abs activation) or aquaplaning) due to decreased pressure on the (now larger) contact patch.

Howabout the turbo flutter (love that sound)?
    You’ll want a more open intake to get turbo whoosh and flutter noises. A pod filter with a cover generally achieves this. R600 is a fully enclosed intake and is quieter which is what I’m running.

Would I need an bigger cooler at all or the standard works just as well except in the hotter months I'm guessing?
    The benefits of a bigger intercooler are lower intake temps and a lower pressure drop. However if you go too big you’ll get a drop in performance if you have too large a volume as it takes longer to build boost - so it’s a trade-off.

Generally the stock intercooler is ok to stage 2 but after that you’ll need/want to upgrade. If you’re doing an IS38 swap then I’d at least look at upgrading to a Golf R intercooler as I’m pretty sure this have a thicker core.

I've checked out your build on your Sportline - Pretty impressive mods you've done to your Tiggy! What sort of power are you chasing or wanting to achieve?
    I’m looking at around 250kwaw and 0-100 in the high 3’s. But I also want it to be a nice daily driver so drive ability comes first before outright numbers.

Could you give me a rough base price on what I need so I can budget for it? PM me if need be?
    Intake - $700-$1,000
    DP - $800-$1,000
    Turbo - $1,500-$5,000 (IS38 vs TTE475)
    Intercooler- $1,500
    Turbo inlet- $250
    Turbo muffler delete - $250
    Installation - $1,00-2,000
    Tuning - $1,500-$2,000

I like the look of your wheels, did you notice the extra grip from the 20x9's and was there any rubbings on the arch or suspension?
    I moved the stock tyres over and didn’t upgrade the rubber but plans are to run 255/40R20 next set which is same spec as R-line. I’m currently on 235/45R20 which was standard for Sportline.
    Last edited by tigger73; 27-05-2019 at 06:28 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    Ooh, the wheel question has stumbled in to my area of expertise
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post

It can get very (very) boring, but the short version is that bigger diameter rims are about visual appeal. Almost always there is a grip deficit vs smaller.

Weight and it’s related negatives (unsprung mass, centripetal forces) the thinner sidewalls of the tyres equal less grip.

On the smoothest racetrack and with the perfectly matched tyres to it (and the weather at the time) can give a more consistent ‘feel’- but not outright grip.

Larger circumference tyres though, will often improve peak grip(longitudinal traction(accel/braking), moreso than lateral), but again, the extra weight can negate some of the handling benefit.

Wider tyres can often improve peak grip, but may also cause an increase to the sudden loss of grip- once the tyre has crossed its grip threshold (snap oversteer/understeer and skidding(abs activation) or aquaplaning) due to decreased pressure on the (now larger) contact patch.

Thanks for that Simonr23, that is a really informed description but it kinda makes sense, I think lol
    I'm looking at changing the R-Line wheels as 1. they weigh 30kgs each and 2. they somehow quite brittle.
    I had to drive through resurfacing works and the two passengers side wheels chipped on the rim! VW want $1500 each for these, which is ridiculous!!! I know I can get them repaired but what's stopping it from happening again. So I figured I'll changed the whole set to aftermarket and if it happened it'll most likely won't cost $1500 each.

I know my tyres are 255/40R20, if went the wheel size like tigger73's wheels 20x9 and got say a 275/40R20 there wouldn't be much overall grip as such + unsafe at higher speeds?
    Would staying with the same sized wheels 20x8.5, I think (R-Line) and run a higher 45 or 55 wall tyre be more beneficial, also without altering the speedo much? Would in turn give me greater comfort and clearance but lower higher grip and more tyre flex into corners?

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    You’ll want a more open intake to get turbo whoosh and flutter noises. A pod filter with a cover generally achieves this. R600 is a fully enclosed intake and is quieter which is what I’m running.
    Ok I will try this out but no doubt tuner would suggest otherwise im guessing. What panel filter do you suggest like a K&N or something?

The benefits of a bigger intercooler are lower intake temps and a lower pressure drop. However if you go too big you’ll get a drop in performance if you have too large a volume as it takes longer to build boost - so it’s a trade-off.

Generally the stock intercooler is ok to stage 2 but after that you’ll need/want to upgrade. If you’re doing an IS38 swap then I’d at least look at upgrading to a Golf R intercooler as I’m pretty sure this have a thicker core.

Would this also be depending on the amount of boost, so since this is my daily family/work car, running it at a lower economical would be effective with just the standard? Well until I chase more power and so on...

I’m looking at around 250kwaw and 0-100 in the high 3’s. But I also want it to be a nice daily driver so drive ability comes first before outright numbers.
    That's pretty decent figures and should be easily achievable with the mods you have. What fuel economy like per tank since the new spec from standard?

Intake - $700-$1,000
    DP - $800-$1,000
    Turbo - $1,500-$5,000 (IS38 vs TTE475)
    Intercooler- $1,500
    Turbo inlet- $250
    Turbo muffler delete - $250
    Installation - $1,00-2,000
    Tuning - $1,500-$2,000

This is still is slightly over my budget but may be able to work with those figures a little, just don't tell the wife!!!

Where did you find the turbo at $1500 +, cheapest I can find with one the tuners is $3250 for the IS38/460?

I moved the stock tyres over and didn’t upgrade the rubber but plans are to run 255/40R20 next set which is same spec as R-line. I’m currently on 235/45R20 which was standard for Sportline.

I have replied to Simonr23's response above but how has the drivability been with the 235's?

Last edited by tigger73; 27-05-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Users Country Flag

Where did you find the turbo at $1500 +, cheapest I can find with one the tuners is $3250 for the IS38/460?

You can get a new one, revision F, from the U.S. with some change out of $2K (not including shipping, and GST).
    Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 06K145874F - IS38 Turbocharger (06K 145 874 F)

Cheers for that Beedub - Intesting how cheap the parts are everywhere but here in Oz. I guess you pay the price if there was anything wrong with before fitting to have to return to sender for a warranty etc

275 isn’t a massive change from 255, so for safety, you’ll be fine

Unless you’re pushing the car, or come across an unfortunate series of circumstances that lead you to actually maximise the cars grip, my above post isn’t ‘real world’ relevant- for the most part.

without knowing the answers for a tiguan, 275mm maybe pushing the limits of space for lock-stops and brake lines and what-not back there- especially when it comes to the new rims you buy.
    You’re supposed to keep the same offset, when changing, so be aware of what you’ve got currently (tigger will know) to make an educated decision.

You come across as someone who is intelligent and switched-on, so as long as you don’t instantly/blindly believe what any sales people tell you, you’ll come out very happy. Tyres/engine/the lot

Big wheels have increased unsprung weight to absurd levels and that is the main reason modern cars are so stiffly sprung. The lower profile tyres do give a stiffer wall which can respond faster for a more positive steering response but apart from looks (debatable) they aren't much good for anything else except emptying your pocket quicker at a new tyre time. My one objection the R Line Tiguan was the big wheels but try explaining that to a car salesman, they look at you like you are a two headed monster. Simon has summed it up pretty well I think.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast