Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor80 Stage 3 Allspace R Build

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Razor80 View Post
    I was more concerned about the DSG issues that the 6 speed or older versions had but I haven't seen (touches wood) such issues to date so must be ok.
    That was the dry clutch versions that suffered issues.
    You've got the DQ500 DSG in the Allspace if you have the 162TSI engine, and that's a wet clutch. They're fairly bullet proof.

The other thing of concern, that if I waited after warranty the period car might be more at risk of failing due too higher mileage (roughly 60-80000kms) and then be faced with huge repair bills.
    That's not high mileage, not for these motors. I had my R36 tuned at about 75K kms. Etuners ran it on a dyno first to get an idea of what shape it was in before applying their stage 1 tune. They started asking me what sort of fuel I used (BP 98 RON), how long had I had the car (since new), what was the service history (every 12 months), etc because they were seeing it really under performing and dropping compression.
    Turned out it was bad fuel from the service station I visited on the way there. A bit of fuel additive sorted it out, and they applied their tune, and I was a happy customer.

I will be taking my Tiguan back there once I start getting all my parts for a much needed overhaul.

Oh, and your other comment about cooling down the turbo, it isn't necessary, unless you've been hard at the track.
    If it's just some spirited driving then just drive normally for a good 10 mins or more afterwards before reaching your destination. Leave the car in D so you're not over revving the engine.

The DSG in the Tiguan is the high torque 7 speed DQ500. It's the same gearbox that is in the gen1 Tiguan since mid 2010. I'd be able to count on 1 hand the number of posts about problems with this transmission. There were 1 or 2 Transporters with high km (150,000) that had issues but these cars also probably had a hard life.

It's a stronger gearbox than the 6 speed in the GTI/R models.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Apprecate both your comments Beedub & tigger73, it's good to know the this gearbox is built tough.
    The reasoning I was worried before purchasing my car and after driving was from my wife's cousin's (old race drivers and still car fanatic's) in Singapore advised that they had numerous issue's with the DSG gearboxes over there always failing. Either seizing or gears slipping on upward or downward shifting. I had to convince them that this is the newer gearbox and those issue have been resolved from my prior investigations. It turned out that in Singapore, VW mate there older running gear to newer more powerful engines (quite common) and were causing major rebuild issues. Also they thought this could be the high humidity causing condensation. So this got me questioning myself, is the newer DQ500 going to be the same...

Just out of curiosity - How much torque can it handle?

Users Country Flag
    Quite a lot. I've been following Etuners for a while now, and I've seen several VAG cars go through them with upgraded turbo's and engine rebuilds chasing 400+ kw's at the wheels and the DSG remains unchanged.
    If you're on facebook, look up "Etuners Motorsport Australia" for the Melbourne team.

Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    Quite a lot. I've been following Etuners for a while now, and I've seen several VAG cars go through them with upgraded turbo's and engine rebuilds chasing 400+ kw's at the wheels and the DSG remains unchanged.
    If you're on facebook, look up "Etuners Motorsport Australia" for the Melbourne team.
    Wow 400kw's thats some serious grunt. I've already contacted the Melbourne team for Etuners and checked out their website. Just wait on another quotation from the 3 ive found and decide. Will most likely still go with stage 2 and edging closer to IS38

Wow 400kw's thats some serious grunt. I've already contacted the Melbourne team for Etuners and checked out their website. Just wait on another quotation from the 3 ive found and decide. Will most likely still go with stage 2 and edging closer to IS38
    The cost to go stage 2 for the power gains with the stock turbo is just not worth it.

Either go stage 1 or pay a bit more and do an IS38 swap. The difference between stage 2 and upgrading the turbo is 30-40kwaw.

My suggestion is if you don’t have the budget for it right now go stage 1 and then in 6 months put the turbo (and DP) on and experience another boost in performance.

You may find that stage 1 is enough... but you also may get used to it and want more Razor80 Stage 3 Allspace R BuildRazor80 Stage 3 Allspace R BuildRazor80 Stage 3 Allspace R BuildRazor80 Stage 3 Allspace R Build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprecate both your comments Beedub & tigger73, it's good to know the this gearbox is built tough.
    The reasoning I was worried before purchasing my car and after driving was from my wife's cousin's (old race drivers and still car fanatic's) in Singapore advised that they had numerous issue's with the DSG gearboxes over there always failing. Either seizing or gears slipping on upward or downward shifting. I had to convince them that this is the newer gearbox and those issue have been resolved from my prior investigations. It turned out that in Singapore, VW mate there older running gear to newer more powerful engines (quite common) and were causing major rebuild issues. Also they thought this could be the high humidity causing condensation. So this got me questioning myself, is the newer DQ500 going to be the same...

Just out of curiosity - How much torque can it handle?
    The main problems are with the low torque “dry” 7 speed DQ200 gearbox in the lower end Golf/Passat/Jetta passenger cars. These are for the low torque petrol motors and have been problematic especially the early ones pre 2012.

It’s a different gearbox to the 7 speed in the Tiguan which is DQ500 and rated to 600Nm.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    The cost to go stage 2 for the power gains with the stock turbo is just not worth it.

Either go stage 1 or pay a bit more and do an IS38 swap. The difference between stage 2 and upgrading the turbo is 30-40kwaw.

My suggestion is if you don’t have the budget for it right now go stage 1 and then in 6 months put the turbo (and DP) on and experience another boost in performance.

You may find that stage 1 is enough... but you also may get used to it and want more Razor80 Stage 3 Allspace R BuildRazor80 Stage 3 Allspace R BuildRazor80 Stage 3 Allspace R BuildRazor80 Stage 3 Allspace R Build

So its better to the tune, downpipe & turbo? Won't I need better induction aswell and DSG tune? Could I use the Borg Warner K04 if I'm not chasing too much power? I want some fun but with the eception that it's a daily car with some stop starts and freeway driving.

So its better to the tune, downpipe & turbo? Won't I need better induction aswell and DSG tune? Could I use the Borg Warner K04 if I'm not chasing too much power? I want some fun but with the eception that it's a daily car with some stop starts and freeway driving.
    It depends on your budget but if you’re going to pull the DP out you’re best off changing turbo at the same time otherwise you’ll be up for the labour cost twice to do it later.

K04 is not direct bolt on. You need to go with an IS38 as all the oil lines etc are a direct bolt on fitment so install cost is less.

You can modify the stock intake by removing the snow grate and cutting the inlets out plus installing a high flow panel filter which is enough for stage 2+

I would recommend a DSG tune to anyone for improved drive ability.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    It depends on your budget but if you’re going to pull the DP out you’re best off changing turbo at the same time otherwise you’ll be up for the labour cost twice to do it later.

K04 is not direct bolt on. You need to go with an IS38 as all the oil lines etc are a direct bolt on fitment so install cost is less.

You can modify the stock intake by removing the snow grate and cutting the inlets out plus installing a high flow panel filter which is enough for stage 2+

I would recommend a DSG tune to anyone for improved drive ability.

This makes sence to do this option then spending extra $$$ on labour costs. IS38 it is then. I do the odd snow trip so may need the snow grete. Would the standard box and high flow filter be sufficient fir that turbo? Would the standard fuel system be sufficient also?

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast