Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance Comparison: 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Performance Comparison: 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen Tiguan

Hi guys, at present I have Manual 2012 132TSI Pacific Tiguan with the latest Stage 1 APR tune.
    I know that the 132kw for stock is at the flywheel and not at the wheel. Based off the dyno sheet I got with my APR tune I think I've roughly calculated transmission loss to be around 20%?

Stock:
    132kw Flywheel= 105kw Wheel (Based on dyno sheet)

APR Stage 1:

176kw Flywheel (Calculused based on 20% transmission loss from stock figures) = 140kw Wheel (Based on dyno)

I've ordered the 162TSI Highline Tiguan (DSG) which supposedly does 0-100 in 6.5secs.
    I love my current Tiguan it feels very quick and nimble (Has Adaptive Chassis Control) I don't think my current Tiguan is 6.5secs in any respects though. Feels more like somewhere in the 7's.

Can anyone with any knowledge on the APR Stage 1 Tiguan & the 162TSI 2nd Gen Tiguan comment on whether it will actually be faster or will I have to put up with a slower car until APR makes a tune for it?

I think you'll find that your stage 1 132TSI will be a bit quicker than the stock 162TSI but only by a bit. The new gen 2 engines have more torque than the gen 1 - even though they are similar/same power output. For the 132TSI, the gen 1 is 280Nm and gen 2 motor is 320Nm so there is a bit more shove there.

The gen 1 155TSI also had 280Nm compared to the new 162TSI with 340Nm which is a considerable step up.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I think you'll find that your stage 1 132TSI will be a bit quicker than the stock 162TSI but only by a bit. The new gen 2 engines have more torque than the gen 1 - even though they are similar/same power output. For the 132TSI, the gen 1 is 280Nm and gen 2 motor is 320Nm so there is a bit more shove there.

The gen 1 155TSI also had 280Nm compared to the new 162TSI with 340Nm which is a considerable step up.
    Ok but that being the case where are they getting this 0-100 in 6.5secs for the 162TSI Tiguan? My Tiguan does not feel like a 6.5sec car, that's pretty damn quick!

Those performance figures were pulled off the VW Germany/UK sites.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

6.5 sec is believable, even conservative (VW often is). The GTI with the same engine is as fast - it's lighter but only FWD and battles for traction

On that basis, if you think your stage 1 is 7 sec the new model is probably quicker. There's also the DSG vs manual consideration

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    6.5 sec is believable, even conservative (VW often is). The GTI with the same engine is as fast - it's lighter but only FWD and battles for traction

On that basis, if you think your stage 1 is 7 sec the new model is probably quicker. There's also the DSG vs manual consideration
    Yeah, I was talking to a mate on the weekend who does driver training for Audi and VW here in NZ (he gets to drive all the RS models around a snow track in Queenstown for a job and this year Aston Martin bought some of their cars up the mountain as wellPerformance Comparison: 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen Tiguan) He did some dealer training on the new Tiguan and apparently saw some specs from overseas that actually showed the 162TSI Tiguan was quicker than the GTI but VW have put the same 6.5sec time on the all the spec and marketing sheets so that it doesn't look any quicker than the GTI.

The fact that it has the same engine as the GTI but a stronger DSG gearbox and is 4Motion is the reason I decided to go with the Tiguan. Coming from a Golf R I need a bit more space but I didn't want to go back to a FWD car or go too far backwards in power. It is also nice to know that with a simple ECU upgrade I can easily get to around the same power as the new standard Golf R if I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Users Country Flag
    Makes sense that the Tig is faster than the GTI because it has AWD to launch quicker.

A Stage 1 Tiguan Gen 1 is definitely faster than 6.5s

Users Country Flag
    Stg 1 2.0 TSI in the Gen 1 is about 6.1-6.3s 0-100 in the manual achievable on a regular basis. On a very hard launch with little mechanical sympathy I have seen a 5.7s out a stg2. These are VBox numbers as well.

In my view a Stg1 Gen 2 162TSI will easily do low to mid 5s 0-100 if using launch control. Work on 5.4s 0-100, which would be right up there with a MK7 Golf R.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

As mentioned by Jimi, there is no way you will change gears as fast as a DSG! You may get the jump on a DSG off the lights, but it will soon rein you in & round you up! I would imagine by half a second up to 100.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Ok so the dealership I use which is Cricks Highway Volkswagen Springwood QLD gave me a test drive of their Tiguan 162 TSI Rline, this will be my first "automatic" car in over 10 years. I currently have the Tiguan 132TSI Pacific w/ APR Stage 1. My Current 132TSI Pacific also has Adaptive Chassis Control.

Initial thoughts: Kinda disappointing compared to what I have. My car is faster and I feel handles better. Comparatively the new Tiguan makes a lot of noise but very little actually happens. I've already ordered this car, performance wise I dont see myself being happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast